South Division 10/11

re: South Division 10/11

NFI - not that interested in them... but just heard his name mentioned i think its Wales or something like that.. Walters?? maybe not sure it was a few weeks back..

Vicious and Well Directed;367223 said:
Heard the same thing. Although looking at his numbers, Daykin on his own is more than handy.

Daykins numbers are impressive..

Port lose their Captain Piercy and opening bowler Lawrence. Huge gaps to fill.
Boyle is getting old and they played a 45 year old in the final last year.

From what I hear, their president controls everything, as his pockets are extremely deep!
8 paid players last year and they still could not win a flag..

Qball;368403 said:
Southern Star - Chelt will be no good... Beauy with Hewitt will be strong - do u know anything about Hampton and their Pommy? I've heard from a bloke i know O/S saying he's a beauty! And they may have a lightening quick Pommy coming too - have u heard this?

We'll see...:cool:

As I said, If they finish last I will streak down Tart St (Charman Rd)

Vicious and Well Directed;368042 said:
As long as Gelbart hasn't left chasing an IPL contract they should be ok though...

Speaking of Ajax, what's happened to Laurie?!!!... I've missed his insightful and unbiased assesments of the Albert Park boys. Has he been too busy following their player's fortunes in Sth Africa?:p

Looking forward to a Lakeside trip this season. Can't beat an after-match can of Toohey's Gold or a stale sambo for arvo tea

superfreak;368446 said:
We'll see...:cool:

As I said, If they finish last I will streak down Tart St (Charman Rd)

If the chelt 1st XI play with as much 'passion and vigour' as their boundary side drunks that appear late in the arvo, they'll give Yarraville a run for their money next season :D

SS - I remeber playing against Chelt when i was a younger fella and was abused by 3 blokes drinking Bourban cans all afternoon... played there a few years later - the same pathetic blokes were at it again!!
No woder Merryfield buggered off!!

Qball;368509 said:
SS - I remeber playing against Chelt when i was a younger fella and was abused by 3 blokes drinking Bourban cans all afternoon... played there a few years later - the same pathetic blokes were at it again!!
No woder Merryfield buggered off!!

He buggered off as he was stationed in Swan Hill for work (policeman) but moved back last year and was back at the club (played twos), and is playing again this year.

Darwin Cricket;368444 said:
Daykins numbers are impressive..

ort lose their Captain Piercy and opening bowler Lawrence. Huge gaps to fill.
Boyle is getting old and they played a 45 year old in the final last year.

From what I hear, their president controls everything, as his pockets are extremely deep!
8 paid players last year and they still could not win a flag..

Daykins numbers are good cause he is a gun, he belted our ordinary attack last year all over the ground for 200.

From what i hear Port wanted him gone early in the season

Parkdale are back this year!

Parkdalegun;368680 said:
Daykins numbers are good cause he is a gun, he belted our ordinary attack last year all over the ground for 200.

Nice mate. Nice

Parkdalegun;368680 said:

Nice work gun. 1 post > Yellow card!

Is that some sort of record?

SSuridge;368734 said:
Beauy seem to have recruited very well over the off season with Hewitt and Cockbain, adding these two with Hignett and they are looking quite dangerous.

So that's where all the money they got for phone tower has gone

SSuridge;368734 said:
Beauy seem to have recruited very well over the off season with Hewitt and Cockbain, adding these two with Hignett and they are looking quite dangerous.

Great to see a former state player like Hewitt playing in a local club comp, awesome opportunity for junior players to get a look at a quality player

DalesHack;369070 said:
Great to see a former state player like Hewitt playing in a local club comp, awesome opportunity for junior players to get a look at a quality player

I wonder if Roach ever kept to Hewitt in a state game.

You're right, to have two ex-Victorian players in the VTCA this season is great for the comp.

Northern $uper$tars;369099 said:
I wonder if Roach ever kept to Hewitt in a state game.

You're right, to have two ex-Victorian players in the VTCA this season is great for the comp.

add Ash Robertson from Spotty to that list to make it 3 ex-Victorian players

Is the change to the paid players/points system, responsible in part for this? I mean with Beauy in mind would they have been in a position in prior years to attract someone like Hewitt and retain current paid players?

DalesHack;369118 said:
Is the change to the paid players/points system, responsible in part for this? I mean with Beauy in mind would they have been in a position in prior years to attract someone like Hewitt and retain current paid players?

Most probably, I doubt it's more than a coincidence. You have to have the cash to spend to begin with. Heard Hewett getting something in the order of $15k (pocket change in the north)

Raises the question, will the points system change the face of the comp as we know it?... No longer a suburban comp with loyal clubmen who play for the love of it, but more beholden to mercenaries who switch allegiances for money? I can see a divide developing betweeen the rich and poor, with 1st XI success based more on who has the deeper pockets and not on who has the better jnr development programs etc

Southern Son;369129 said:
Most probably, I doubt it's more than a coincidence. You have to have the cash to spend to begin with. Heard Hewett getting something in the order of $15k (pocket change in the north)

Raises the question, will the points system change the face of the comp as we know it?... No longer a suburban comp with loyal clubmen who play for the love of it, but more beholden to mercenaries who switch allegiances for money? I can see a divide developing betweeen the rich and poor, with 1st XI success based more on who has the deeper pockets and not on who has the better jnr development programs etc

With that in mind it's probably worth noting that those clubs will find their level - but it still promotes the return of State Players/Premier cricketers to club ranks to pass on those skills and ideas developed at a higher level, to yunger players. That can't be a bad thing can it? Even better when those returning players are coming back to their junior clubs, instead of being lost to the game they can play out their careers (convince the Mrs the finances are getting looked after) and give a bit back in terms of leadership and skills to emerging juniors- in future years those clubs with strong junior programs will be the ones to watch

Back