South Division 10/11

re: South Division 10/11

lifemember;380419 said:
Not sure why you consider Hampton to be unlucky Southern? Like a few of the South clubs, Bentleigh have recruited well and like Kev says, these guys continue to show why they played at the levels they did - much as Hewitt also continues to do. I don't think Hampton let any chances slip with these two, so again, can't understand your comment about Hampton being unlucky.

While I agree that Roach and Street have clearly made a huge difference to the make up of Bentleigh's 1st XI, I don't agree that they are light on without them. Perhaps they may not be in the position they are in ladder wise, but I would have still put them in the mix had they not recruited these guys - same as Beauie had they not got Hewitt.

Kev, I also heard that the outfield was pretty slow and 247 could be considered 300+ - true? And it's true what you say about Street and Roach being much better blokes too!

yeah mate, spot on about the outfield, only going to be worse this weekend so 240 could be closer to =ing 350+, hamptons loving relationship with bayside council has stepped to a new level, with the council saying screw you we are renovating the outfield and line planting kikuyu through out it! Excellent decision to start midway through a game!!!! should anyone on here be associated with bayside council DO IT IN YOUR SPRING RENOVATIONS YOU MUPPETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lifemember;380419 said:
Not sure why you consider Hampton to be unlucky Southern? Like a few of the South clubs, Bentleigh have recruited well and like Kev says, these guys continue to show why they played at the levels they did - much as Hewitt also continues to do. I don't think Hampton let any chances slip with these two, so again, can't understand your comment about Hampton being unlucky.

While I agree that Roach and Street have clearly made a huge difference to the make up of Bentleigh's 1st XI, I don't agree that they are light on without them. Perhaps they may not be in the position they are in ladder wise, but I would have still put them in the mix had they not recruited these guys - same as Beauie had they not got Hewitt.

Kev, I also heard that the outfield was pretty slow and 247 could be considered 300+ - true? And it's true what you say about Street and Roach being much better blokes too!

Not disputing that Bentleigh haven't recruited well, but aside from perhaps Seisun, Roach and Street have done the bulk of the scoring this season.

True that neither let any chances slip, though Roach slightly lucky to survive his first ball after a Kev bouncer ballooned off the glove over slips. But hey, that's cricket! Street clearly bats too low - handy to have someone like that though to come in and stabilise the lower order.

The outfield was no different to how it's ever been. If anything it's a bit quicker this season and with the wicket cut on the edge of the square, there was plenty of value square of the wicket on the clubrooms side.

The deck was an absolute belter, with a few of Bentleigh guys commenting on the quality. Bentleigh were 4/90 odd at tea, so Hampton let it slip a little after the interval. Will be a real test for them this week...

SSuridge;380377 said:
Beauy will chase that down that total i reckon. The Beauy guys have one of the best decks in the league now and one of the fastest outfields also, really giving batsmen value for their shots. Is going to be a tough chase but I'm going to back them.

Big ask. Will need one or two to be able to go with Hewett and Cockbain and if either of them don't get amongst them, well....

Just out of curiosity, can anyone comment on the likelihood of Roach, Hewett etc playing on long term after this season? Should Bentleigh or Beauy go up to Snr Div next year I'm tipping they need the quality of these sort players to be competitive.

Southern Son;380481 said:
Just out of curiosity, can anyone comment on the likelihood of Roach, Hewett etc playing on long term after this season? Should Bentleigh or Beauy go up to Snr Div next year I'm tipping they need the quality of these sort players to be competitive.

Reckon Hewett would, appparently there is a family/friend connection to the club.

I'm sure as long as the cash keeps rolling in Roach's loyalty will remain.

Southern Son;380481 said:

Roach apparently signed on for 2 years, as did Street.

Interesting to see Richard Hewitt play for Beauy twos last week. Anyone know if he is committed to play anymore, and the level that he has played at? If he is anywhere as good as his brother could help beauy come finals time.

SSuridge;380488 said:
Interesting to see Richard Hewitt play for Beauy twos last week. Anyone know if he is committed to play anymore, and the level that he has played at? If he is anywhere as good as his brother could help beauy come finals time.

Don't know about the 1's but Beauy 2's will need all the help they can get if Geoff 'Uncle' Boyes is still running around in that side!

SSuridge;380488 said:

Don't know about his committment but he played for Prahran 1's and 2's for quite a few years, injury crueled him in his time there. Was a good bowler and big hitter. Would be at least 2-3 years older than Ian. Would be a more than handy pick-up.

Good to see Boyle's move from Keilor finaly playing dividends for Port. Once labelled as the sharpest bowler in the VTCA (going back some years now), a 7 fa any day of the week will help.

SSuridge;380377 said:
Beauy will chase that down that total i reckon. The Beauy guys have one of the best decks in the league now and one of the fastest outfields also, really giving batsmen value for their shots. Is going to be a tough chase but I'm going to back them.

How true you were Suridge... Beauy got em alright. Fair effort to chase down 339. Ended up with 371 in the end, and only 5 down, so will be interested to see you got them.

MHSOB have to be disappointed with not being able to defend such a big score.

Some sort of wicket and outfield as well.

710 runs for 12 wickets in 160 overs.

Imagine what it will be like after Christmas, when the rain stops.

This round just proved again that there really are only 3 teams in it at this stage.

Bentleigh, Beauy and Port are a fair way ahead of the rest.

Wonder how much it cost Brighton District to pry Stacey Brown away from Casey-South Melbourne. 80* and a wicket is a good return first up on their investment.

superfreak;381520 said:
Wonder how much it cost Brighton District to pry Stacey Brown away from Casey-South Melbourne. 80* and a wicket is a good return first up on their investment.

He got the cash YT was going to get.

superfreak;381520 said:
I wonder how he will enjoy playing on carpet next year

Fair enough. Good get. What has happened to YT?

SS, he went to Casey from the CMCA last year so it wouldn't be a problem I'd say.

superfreak;381527 said:
Fair enough. Good get. What has happened to YT?

SS, he went to Casey from the CMCA last year so it wouldn't be a problem I'd say.

Couldn't get a visa. Stiff.

Back