South Division 10/11

re: South Division 10/11

Vicious and Well Directed;388477 said:
Bonus points also assist teams that play on high scoring grounds. Take Woodfull-Miller, were 280-300 is a par score, in comparison to Boss Reserve where you are happy with over 150-180. Say it's an extra 1.2 points a game and it adds up to an extra win over the length of a season. Fairly handy home ground advantage.

Most of us realise how flawed the system is. The umpires hate it as the 2nd innings are often where things get less friendly. The players on the losing team hate it, particularly if they have to field after just losing a close game. The players on the winning team hate it as they'd rather be having a beer and celebrating.

It means the draw is so important and luck plays such a huge role - try being a borderline finals team playing a bottom team in a one dayer - less bonus points available - try getting washed out when others play - why should the ground you play on give you an advantage or disadvantage before the season begins? - are we trying to find the best 4 teams to play finals or the 4 teams that can manipulate the system best? - just so many flaws, why can't the VTCA see it???

The advocates of the system say "it makes the VTCA unique" - maybe the unfairness of the system is why noone else uses it. I would love to see a player vote on bonus points - not the club administrators but the players. Win or lose, let's go have a beer and a chat, not play another 20 overs useless cricket that unfairly determines the outcome of some seasons.

jika jika;388385 said:
both youlden and RPB could play north or south based on their central location. AN, CYMS and Spotty (other teams in senior facing relegation) would logically be nth teams. Youlden cannot avoid relegation this yr so problem is solved for now

I'd hardly suggest Youlden Parkville (Melb Zoo) a southern comp side!! not sure where your tomtom takes you...but anyone from Chelsea would love going there, or Beaumaris `i dont want to be promoted cos where old and want to stay local` Cricket Club would be wrapped at the 45 min drive!

Qball;388511 said:
I'd hardly suggest Youlden Parkville (Melb Zoo) a southern comp side!! not sure where your tomtom takes you...but anyone from Chelsea would love going there, or Beaumaris `i dont want to be promoted cos where old and want to stay local` Cricket Club would be wrapped at the 45 min drive!

Q Ball...

you sir are a dick

SSuridge;388543 said:
Would really like to see the source of your so called "facts" looking at the stats over the past decade you will see that Beauy has never had the chance to be promoted.

From the VTCA website where stats date back to 2001/02 season, coincidentally when Beauy won the Senior Divison flag, they had played from 2001/02 to 2004/05 in Senior Division before going down to Senior A where they didn't have a chance to be promoted to Senior Division, finishing 3rd, 8th, 7th and 6th.

, get your "facts" right.

correct underarm... clearly works either in call centre or the council! just stating the facts that came from a former president who happens to be a member of the extended family... 15-15 all.

Qball;388564 said:
correct underarm... clearly works either in call centre or the council! just stating the facts that came from a former president who happens to be a member of the extended family... 15-15 all.

Apparently the language I used was 'swearing'... I will from now on use the phrase 'limp penises'...

bonus points must go;388394 said:
Match of the round down at Dendy Park and it should come down to the wire. Will 210 be enough? I think Brighton's strong batting lineup will be too good against MHSOB's attack and the result will lock in fourth position for Brighton who are a smokey for the flag. Stacy Brown has been a great pickup for them.

with the 'washout' at Melb High I got to c most of the 1's... fantastic game of cricket that MHSOB were in front of all day but the depth of BDCC told in the end. MHSOB caught well & bowled ok, although they didn't hit a damp patch enough... BDCC batted slowley but safely needing 75 off the last 15. They looked to b on top but MH kept bobbing up with the crucial wicket, with 11 needed off 15 balls 9 down MHSOB were faves but the experience off Hill & the talent of Gara with the bat got us home.. great win especially without Stewart & Manning.

In a well structured comp a team 7/3 would b in when 5th is 5/5 with 1 game to play but not in the great VTCA... yet another floor in the great bonus points system is that if u get rained off u not only lose your win points but the opportunity to score valuable bonus points.. how u let this system continue each year is beyond me...

Top 4 seem a class above the rest although picking up Phillips & to a lesser extent Perry has taken chelsea to a new level. while the recruits of Beauy & bentleigh r clearly the stars of the grade BDCC look the deepest team to me.. The semi's should b great, we may c BDCC v Bentleigh 2 games in a row...

bad luck Park cricket, hope it hurt to c the scores...

have played againt Hampton, Beauy & chelt recently & wanted to say what a good bunch of blokes all 3 teams r.. pleasure to play against!

Beauy look a class above in Sth 2's,not sure why Humphrey was in the 1's this wk but assuming he is back to lead them I reckon Beauy r the 1's for the 2's flag.

I must say the Beauy guys have a good set-up.... Good blokes to have a jar with after the game and a friendly atmosphere in the rooms post-match. Not to mention the more than decent WAGS who serve up a fine feed at tea... Chelt aren't too bad either. The only things that detracts from them is the rowdy bourbon-fuelled rabble on the sidelines. The players are all decent blokes however.

Would love to know who that former president is because Beauy havnt had a change of president for 5 years...

coincidently, the same 5 years in which Beauy played in Senior A finishing 3rd, 8th, 7th and 6th.... those highly illustrious promotion positions.

dorothydixer;388619 said:
Would love to know who that former president is because Beauy havnt had a change of president for 5 years...

coincidently, the same 5 years in which Beauy played in Senior A finishing 3rd, 8th, 7th and 6th.... those highly illustrious promotion positions.

I would have thought the issue for Beauy if they get relegated is not getting guys to travel, it's getting a team on the park. Obviously Hewett is the the key, but a decent side would need to get Cockbain back from overseas, and Hignett and Harrison would have a few question marks over whether they go around again.

I like the points system, works much better than the 2 paid players rule, but it is going to make it tougher for a team like Beauy to replace key players if a few longer term guys retire at the same time.

Qball;388564 said:

so a former president isnt involved anymore and wouldnt have knowledge?

dorothydixer;388657 said:
Didnt say that Qball just very interested to see and hear who your relo is...

as if i can give that up...the secrets would be released.. however i do beleive that BCC had an option to go up when Chelsea dropped from Senior to South A a couple of years back...i think some South clubs had a choice if they wanted to go up... so that could be the 3rd place year?
anywho...
final rd this week.. thank christ... bring on the footy!

dorothydixer;388802 said:
Yes bring on footy... means we dont have to keep listening to the dribble you are posting Qball

keep biting Dorothy... you're still along way from Kansas!

Having not played against Beauie this year my knowledge is only 2nd hand and through stats but it would seem take Hewitt out of the batting and bowling attack and they would seem a bit light on.Take into account he is in his mid 30's not sure how long he would want to go around for. Same could be said for Port and Bentleigh with their key players.Tip is a Bentleigh Port Final.
At the other end the Hampton Ajax game will be decided in the first 40 overs depending how either sides fragile batting holds up.

Interesting progress score in the MHSOB vs Chelsea game... Melb High winning the toss and batting 1st, declare after 40 overs (8/244). Chelsea 4/161 in reply...

It's 5th vs 6th and with possibly 4th spot up for grabs with an outright result, could there have been a captain's agreement before the start of play?

Southern Son;389476 said:
Interesting progress score in the MHSOB vs Chelsea game... Melb High winning the toss and batting 1st, declare after 40 overs (8/244). Chelsea 4/161 in reply...

It's 5th vs 6th and with possibly 4th spot up for grabs with an outright result, could there have been a captain's agreement before the start of play?

yep it was... just another argument for a one dayer in the final round or the scrapping of bonus points..

Southern Son;389476 said:

Qball;389505 said:
yep it was... just another argument for a one dayer in the final round or the scrapping of bonus points..

i dont see a problem with it, it happens at domestic level, and it shows sportsmanship (unlike the lack of it at gary smorgan on saturday) of the captains if they verbally agree and go ahead with it.

did anybody elses game have drinks carried out after every 5 overs on the weekend????? jacca's did and even had drinks brought out with 2 overs remaining in the day. pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i didnt see the umpies crack down on them, however we were 3 overs behind rate and it was the end of the world! 2 to tango lads, 2 to tango!

Back