South Division 10/11

re: South Division 10/11

Northern $uper$tars;389616 said:
Brighton could knock off Bentleigh anyway.

Did well Brighton, 8-167 became 9-251 with Jewell deserving a 100.

His last 3 scoring shots were 6, 6 & 2, with the 2 being cut off on the boundary on the last ball of the day.

As for the Chelsea/MHSOB game, it probably isn't fair for Brighton, but while it's in the rules, congrats to the captains for doing whatever they can to give their teams the best chance to play finals.

It doesn't happen too often, you need a situation where 5th plays 6th in the last round, or at least two teams with in points range, for this sort of result to happen.

Nothing would satisfy me more to see Brighton missing the finals as a result of two teams playing for an outright win, i agree that the last round should revert to one dayers, but as Kev said, this does often occur in Shield cricket so i dont have a problem with it...

Whats the big deal with going for an outright?

If it was 5th vs 8th then 5th would be going for the outright if they needed to. Just because it's 5th vs 6th means that both teams now HAVE to go for the outright...

The Sweeper;389761 said:
Whats the big deal with going for an outright?

If it was 5th vs 8th then 5th would be going for the outright if they needed to. Just because it's 5th vs 6th means that both teams now HAVE to go for the outright...

Looks like only one team is though.

re: Coach Wanted/Needed Adverts

SS - whilst the VTCA has been brilliant in relation to the one-day team, the extra travel seems to be an issue for other sides. We play against 4 teams who are within a 10 minute drive from our ground, and many of the guys live further east (which makes it harder to transition to VTCA).

Personally I'd rather play VTCA (have previously played at a club in the VTCA, albeit more than 10 years ago) but we live in a democracy!

Looks like a last round one-dayer could be on the cards in future seasons. I heard the idea of a revamped finals system was floated at last night's pres/sec's meeting... Basically the last round would be a one-dayer, which would mean an extra week of finals and a prelim final.

Finals Week 1: 1st v 2nd (winner into GF, loser to play winner of 3rd v 4th); 3rd vs 4th (winner to play loser of 1st v 2nd).

Week 2: Prelim b/w loser of 1st v 2nd & winner of 3rd v 4th.

Week 3 & 4: GF

Must say I like the look of this - a) 1-dayer last round and b) rewards a good season with a double chance for 1st and 2nd.

Also apparently floated was a lowering of the points caps for next season. Down to something like 48 I believe. Very positive move.

southern sledge;389983 said:
Thats a great idea and the lowering of the points to 48 is also positive

Can't say I agree. It will definately help certain clubs that have managed to hold onto 3,4,5 (all non paid of course) or more higher level players over the last 3-5 years. And to drop it by 6 points, which in effect is about 10%, in 1 year is a fair bit. Just my humble opinion.

Too Old Body Broke;389985 said:
Can't say I agree. It will definately help certain clubs that have managed to hold onto 3,4,5 (all non paid of course) or more higher level players over the last 3-5 years. And to drop it by 6 points, which in effect is about 10%, in 1 year is a fair bit. Just my humble opinion.

Not too harsh I say... The VTCA have stated previously that this season's points cap would not have affected any clubs had it been implemented last season. In other words, based upon the sides that were fielded in Snr Div in 08/09 and who were allegedly flouting the 2 paid player rule (eg the YC's, AWSTC's etc), not one team would have gone over the points cap. This led me to believe it was too high to begin with.

It's only prudent you bring it down a peg next season, as all current players will earn a discount going into next season and it makes clubs think twice about bringing in any new mercenaries.

Very stiff were Brighton, had Bentleigh in trouble but lost and MHSOB won outright and Brighton missed out.
Murrumbeena down to South A by 4 runs and Hampton also.

I was under the impression that only one side would be relegated? With one side heading up into senior division and none coming down as well as hampton being put down it leaves for 2 open spots in South?

Vicious and Well Directed;390362 said:
Yeah, that`s really unlucky... oh well.

Can you elaborate on the happenings at MHSOB? Did Chelsea renege on the agreement that both teams would bat 40 overs and declare? Well done to MHSOB, any team that scores 220 off 29 overs and takes 20 wickets for the match deserves their chance.

NorthClubsDontPayPlayers;390415 said:
Can you elaborate on the happenings at MHSOB? Did Chelsea renege on the agreement that both teams would bat 40 overs and declare? Well done to MHSOB, any team that scores 220 off 29 overs and takes 20 wickets for the match deserves their chance.

Chelsea definitely didn`t appear to be going for it late on Day 1, think the big total off 40 overs might have put them off. Wasn`t playing, so keen to know what happened as well.

Massive game from Bowen though.

Vicious and Well Directed;390525 said:
Chelsea definitely didn`t appear to be going for it late on Day 1, think the big total off 40 overs might have put them off. Wasn`t playing, so keen to know what happened as well.

Massive game from Bowen though.

can anyone tell me when the this bullsh__t rule came in about splitting overs when there is rain??? When did the Clubs agree to this?? What a joke!!

At least 2/3 years ago. I think it is a good rule, clearly you think otherwise. How come?

Looks like MHSOB had a real crack at making a game of it, but Bentleigh declined the offer.

I feel sorry for all those teams that finished 3rd or 4th, clearly they never had a chance unless the umpires ignored rule M2.42 like they did in the Sth C2 semi, HCC V McKinnon.

Big upset in Sth A, Parkdale (look to have been clearly the best side) lost their semi to Mentone.

Back