South Division 2011/12

Moving on the Final.

My gut feeling was that Port's batting is stronger than OMs, but the bowling for both is pretty much comparable.

I checked out the ladder, and over the season (including the semi) Port have scored almost 1,000 more runs than OM - their team batting average is 25.5 compared to OM's 21. The team bowling averages are less than 0.4 apart. So my gut feel was pretty much correct. However, that batting average differential equates to 45 runs in an innings, which of course is easily swallowed up by a dropped or a brilliant catch, a single bad shot, or a lucky decision.

My money's on Port (if I had any to wager) to gain promotion to Senior Division. But I am very much looking forward to the contest.

Moving on the Final.

My gut feeling was that Port's batting is stronger than OMs, but the bowling for both is pretty much comparable.

I checked out the ladder, and over the season (including the semi) Port have scored almost 1,000 more runs than OM - their team batting average is 25.5 compared to OM's 21. The team bowling averages are less than 0.4 apart. So my gut feel was pretty much correct. However, that batting average differential equates to 45 runs in an innings, which of course is easily swallowed up by a dropped or a brilliant catch, a single bad shot, or a lucky decision.

My money's on Port (if I had any to wager) to gain promotion to Senior Division. But I am very much looking forward to the contest.
The wicket , if stays dry will favour the batsmen ( not batters)

Port Melbourne for me, for the reasons a lot of people have said around their depth. OMs have had a few ins and outs, but are to be commended on making yet another GF, their 3rd in a row. Port’s batting is obviously reliant on Daykin, and he has his own demons to bury in finals. 32 last week vs. Parkdale hasn’t quite erased the failures of past. But a hundred for him in a GF would certainly crown him one of the VT’s premier batsmen. Port need the guys who have stepped up this year, like Sutcliffe, J & S Cole, Johnson & Snow to contribute. But the addition of Kwahaja is the biggest plus for them. OM’s are obviously a bowling side and a very good one at that. There may be no better bowler than Seeary (apart from the Parkdale Senior Div attack) within the VTCA – his record (180 wkts @ 9 over 5 seasons) is outstanding. How many overs he bowls will depend on the support he gets from his counterparts like Fisher, Woite & Bainbridge. Batting wise, it’s pretty much mostly on Tolley who is their highest run scorer by some way. Mitchell is a big in and Woite is dangerous, but the englishman Tolley holds the key for the chances of a competitive score. Port in a close one, with OMs to fight all the way.

LOL NCDPP. The so called Parkdale Snr Div attack looks like its well below that wild statement. Port will have a few demons to rid at SC, last time they played there they where done like a dinner in a GF against Chelsea. As 'Thescorer' has noted though Port have scored almost a thousand runs more then OM thats a mighty stat. But OM have 30 more wickets! Whilst on stats another one tells me Port have the least amount of runs scored of their bowling by a long way from any other team in the comp, so they obviously set good feilds and must bowl very tight. Stats say Port win but with OM taking early wickets its game on!

Port's cause not helped by a pathetic LBW ..... I couldn't care less who wins but the Port batsman was at least a metre out of his crease....that's ignoring the woody sound the ball made prior to hitting the pads.

My first time seeing Daykin bat...does the guy have bad knees or something? Not as athletic as I'd expected.

He was certainly athletic when he was bowling, bowled some cracking bouncers, might have pulled up a bit sore. The LBW was against Sutcliffe who was batting very well . There are always bad decisions, by umps and players. Did that affect the 6 or 7 Port players who hardly bothered the scorers.
The game could end up a cracker if the weather holds up.

Not sure if he has bad knees as I havn't seen him play that often. I think one of the threads said he has a crook back and thats why he has hardly bowled this season. The game is set up to be a cracker!

South Divison Team of The Year
1.Sam Eaton (mentone)
2.J Cole (PM)
3.Daykin (PM)
4.Teasdale (mentone)
5.Tolley (OM)
6.Chapple (chelsea)
7.Lamb (murrumbeena)
8.Duffy (mentone)
9.Seeary (OM)
10.Petley (parkdale)
11.Jones (mentone)
Scorer - Cheltenhams scorer - she's hot

Open for discussion fellas but i think im on the money with this team.

1.Sam Eaton (mentone)
2.J Cole (PM)
3.Daykin (PM)
4.Teasdale (mentone)
5.Tolley (OM)
6.Chapple (chelsea)
7.Lamb (murrumbeena)
8.Duffy (mentone)
9.Seeary (OM)
10.Petley (parkdale)
11.Jones (mentone)

4 from Mentone, overkill

1.Sam Eaton (mentone)
2.J Cole (PM)
3.Daykin (PM)
4.Teasdale (mentone)
5.Tolley (OM)
6.Chapple (chelsea)
7.Lamb (murrumbeena)
8.Duffy (mentone)
9.Seeary (OM)
10.Petley (parkdale)
11.Jones (mentone)

Are scorers included in the vtca team of the year??

Hawley wins div bowling and makes nearly 400 runs... Stiff?
Yes. I think we can ignore any Team of the Year which has four Mentone players. That team finished 8th on the ladder (only one spot above relegation). It's a wind-up...

Meanwhile, it's game-on at South Caulfield. OMs have a lead of 152 with four wickets in hand. Should be an interesting day tomorrow.

Anyone care to post the results from the last days play? It would have been a great fight back from Port if they got over the line!

And I agree- That team is a wind up. Cheltenham's Scorer defiantly worthy of a mention though.

Back