Steve Smith...PACK YOUR BAGS

Re: Steve Smith...PACK YOUR BAGS

a for effort;391324 said:
Fair enough, based on form I think he'd do as good a job as anyone at number 6, but the selectors do seem to like waiting for youngsters to get a few good seasons under their belt (with Phil Hughes being the obvious exception). Personally if North was to get dropped, I would like to see Smith in the team, though White seems a more likely prospect at this stage.

White was one of those bowling all rounders with a high average earlier in his career.

Maybe Smith has a role model :D

Boris;391320 said:
I tried to refrain myself from going on my usual ramble :p, I'm sure tommy rissole would be fuming :D

I don't think he's up to it. You are saying that he will be batting number 3/4/5 in the future as he progresses through his career. I have seen no evidence that he is a true batsman.

If you claim him to be as good as a normal batsman then I will treat him like one - in which case I wouldn't put him in until he's had another season.

Well, he invariably comes in at either 4, 5 or 6 for NSW in First Class cricket. I think that makes him batsman enough. He's hardly a number 8, occasional number 7.

BabyBlues;391495 said:
Well, he invariably comes in at either 4, 5 or 6 for NSW in First Class cricket. I think that makes him batsman enough. He's hardly a number 8, occasional number 7.

Good point.

Would you put him at number 4 in the Aussie side though?

An example is North. There is no doubt he would perform the same at number 4 (form regardless), as he is a batsman who has batted there for his whole career. Smith is a kind of so-so not sure how he is going to go.

Maybe put him at number 7 with Haddin at number 6?

Boris;391504 said:
Good point.

Would you put him at number 4 in the Aussie side though?

An example is North. There is no doubt he would perform the same at number 4 (form regardless), as he is a batsman who has batted there for his whole career. Smith is a kind of so-so not sure how he is going to go.

Maybe put him at number 7 with Haddin at number 6?

He could bat 7, but there's no reason he couldn't bat 6. Might as well have Haddin at 7 where he's had a fair bit of success, give him a greater rest from keeping. Then again, I guess psychologically, if they don't want to pigeon-hole Smith as a batsman, having him in the allrounder's slot at 7 would be better in that respect.

Not a massive fan of him getting games for australia.

BEing touted as the next S.K Warne would be pretty tough to live up to the hype. At the moment his spinning is not that good, its actually quite poor for state level, just imagine at international level?

Good he can bat, but in the future is he going to be a nathan hauritz all-rounder type, freddie flintoff and shane watson?

He needs time to develop his bowling at state level before getting a game in the test/odi side. There are a lot better players that have been putting in the hard yards for many years to not be given the chance before Smith does

Boris;391327 said:
White was one of those bowling all rounders with a high average earlier in his career.

Except they are total opposites, White had a good bowling average early in his career

White missing out is interesting. To me it suggests that they are confident that Clarke will be returning, because despite Smith's promise, the conservative (and hence correct in the eyes of Hilditch and co.) option would be to go with White.

Boris;391327 said:

If he tries to be like white there are serious mental problems for a kid of that ability.

If Clarke doesnt go then they will call on another batsman, but it does suggest that North is safe for the series whilst White would gain more playing the Shield final

brickwaller99;392150 said:
That he is
but at the mo not good enough for nz

I don't think he is ready either, but would prefer him to North currently..

North's form in the tests was average, and has been even worse for WA..

Another golden quacka today

Yeah
It's often in the biographies of retired players that they would much rather have gone back to state and got form than continued in poor form in tests. Pity no selectors listen.

Took 7/64 in the second innings, 3rd day wicket, knocking SA over for an outright victory.

He sure knows how to perform at the right time! 437 runs at 109.25 with 3 centuries, and 14 wickets at 25.5, all in the last 3 matches.

Has finally come of age as a Test batsman and potentially the future Captain. Would be nice if he could continue to work on his part time leggies, when he gets it right can bowl some ripping deliveries.

Back