Subbies Thread

You'd think the executives of the comp would door knock Brighton if they land him!

If a player ranking system is not on the agenda for the 13th April, it should be!! The lack of transparency of the existing provisions means it is highly unlikely clubs abusing them will be caught out unless someone in the know spills the beans.

If a player ranking system is not on the agenda for the 13th April, it should be!! The lack of transparency of the existing provisions means it is highly unlikely clubs abusing them will be caught out unless someone in the know spills the beans.
Agree. Although I think in this case if the Tonners land Rummans it's black and white!

A few weeks ago there were rumours circulating over here of, first, Sunshine and Sunshine Heights merging and, second, that Sunshine had been encouraged by the subbies executive to consider merging with Yarraville. I have already posted that both Heights and Sunshine refuted any suggestion they were interested in merging and, also, that Sunshine's president told me he had recently submitted to the subbies executive the club's 3 year business plan. That doesn't sound like the action of a club considering a merger. In any event, what would Sunshine bring to the table in respect to a merger with another subbies club?

Agree, Sunshine merging with another subbies club would mean nothing more than a place to hang some old honour boards. Personally, I reckon they should look at the VTCA, not play top division, go back to three teams, and try to build from there. It will take more than 3 years for them to become competitive in subbies. With no money, they will need to focus on their junior program to unearth 1st XI standard players. Even if they can identify and develope these players, will they stay when they are getting smashed each week?

Definitely huge coin. Interesting to see people having pot shots at Brighton when some clubs have been doing it for over a decade. Thorne? Rummans? Warren? How does that add up? Thats just one example.
What strong clubs do is retain the 'paid' players even after they've stopped being paid.
To be honest people are naive if they think lots of clubs don't have 3+ players on the pay roll. Tell me the last two Premiers in the South East haven't had more than a couple. Please. Get serious. Also where is the line? No subs? Match payments? Free gear? Business deals? Accommodation? etc. etc.
I'm all for a points system- but is it too difficult for clubs without strong junior set ups?
We've heard it all before.

Agree, Sunshine merging with another subbies club would mean nothing more than a place to hang some old honour boards. Personally, I reckon they should look at the VTCA, not play top division, go back to three teams, and try to build from there. It will take more than 3 years for them to become competitive in subbies. With no money, they will need to focus on their junior program to unearth 1st XI standard players. Even if they can identify and develope these players, will they stay when they are getting smashed each week?

Sunshine is not entirely unfamiliar with the VTCA as, in the season just ended, it fielded a team in itsone-day U17 Sunday comp. Also, they have a good relationship with members of a nearby VTCA club. So, perhaps, affiliating with the VTCA may not now be out of the question. My files reveal that in 2006 I then suggested to president Geoff King the club should consider the move--and that was prior to the dividend being phased out! Sunshine will be aware the nearby VTCA club fields its 3rds and U17's on the Sunday meaning it would no longer need Lloyd Reserve if it played its lower grades in the VTCA's one-day Sunday comps. This would save the several thousand dollars now incurred in curating fees at Lloyd, and would allow it to sell the roller and cylinder mower at that ground.

Definitely huge coin. Interesting to see people having pot shots at Brighton when some clubs have been doing it for over a decade. Thorne? Rummans? Warren? How does that add up? Thats just one example.
What strong clubs do is retain the 'paid' players even after they've stopped being paid.
To be honest people are naive if they think lots of clubs don't have 3+ players on the pay roll. Tell me the last two Premiers in the South East haven't had more than a couple. Please. Get serious. Also where is the line? No subs? Match payments? Free gear? Business deals? Accommodation? etc. etc.
I'm all for a points system- but is it too difficult for clubs without strong junior set ups?
Rummans has retired from St Kilda CC. What a career. No announcement from Caulfield.

Rummans has retired from St Kilda CC. What a career. No announcement from Caulfield.

Paul Amy reporting Rummans to Caulfield, congrats to them on securing an absolute A grader. Makes the Damiano move understandable but I am confused as to why Thorne appointed Captain. My mail says he is not well liked...

Paul Amy reporting Rummans to Caulfield, congrats to them on securing an absolute A grader. Makes the Damiano move understandable but I am confused as to why Thorne appointed Captain. My mail says he is not well liked...
Yep. Deal is done and what a huge get that is. I have similar mail to that effect but I doubt a strong club like Caulfield would appoint Thorne without the backing of the blokes he plays with. Seems we have an early premiership favourite for the North/South group in 16/17!

Because 4 open-age teams must be fielded, clubs without the coin had better have a good junior set-up just to remain viable, let alone be successful. If a club has neither the money nor a strong junior set-up it has no hope of being a powerhouse in the subbies.
If the comp simply does not have sufficient teams to have a viable promotion/relegation system, and retains the existing player payment provisions what market does it consider it will in future serve, and will that market have sufficient depth for it's long-term viability? These matters should not be deferred given CV is breathing down its neck.

Great post. Presumably Warren has reverted to amateur status to allow his great mate and the new Captain to play as the 2 professionals. Does not really matter as it makes the competition stronger. Good point about Junior development. Some clubs have minimal interest.

Back