Subbies Thread

Paul Amy tweeted that Oakleigh and Herrick had parted ways last night.

Not sure if true or not but seeing as though he was not named it could be.

Paul Amy is usually on the mark, so I would think it is true. I see that Dale Christie is on the move from Ormond. Heading to Seaford CC. has done a good job at Ormond.

Finals Predictions for east/west.
1st's
Williamstown v Taylors - Williamstown too strong. Lakes sneak in for a quick departure
Balwyn v Werribee - Balwyn in a close one. But not surprised if it goes the other way
Noble park v Altona - Noble to win at home unless Maynard scores a big 100. A lot of spinners in play

2nd's
Williamstown v Balwyn - Williamstown easily here. A lot of depth
Yarraville v Bayswater - Going with Bayswater here. Strong batting on a road
Croydon v Box Hill - Tough one but box hill to win with their bowling too strong

Finals Predictions for east/west.
1st's
Williamstown v Taylors - Williamstown too strong. Lakes sneak in for a quick departure
Balwyn v Werribee - Balwyn in a close one. But not surprised if it goes the other way
Noble park v Altona - Noble to win at home unless Maynard scores a big 100. A lot of spinners in play

2nd's
Williamstown v Balwyn - Williamstown easily here. A lot of depth
Yarraville v Bayswater - Going with Bayswater here. Strong batting on a road
Croydon v Box Hill - Tough one but box hill to win with their bowling too strong

Willy would be paying about $1.15 for the double at this stage, almost unbackable in the ones, and easily dispatched their closest competitor in the 2s.

Will play Werribee and Croydon in the GF's respectively.

Mate,you wouldn't write too many tickets at those odds,Willy would have to win 6 games all for $1.15,having said that they're obviously the team to beat.
I fancy Werribee to beat Balwyn,hugely reliant on Murphy and with both the Deans in its Werribee for mine.
Noble/Altona a toss up,Altona also hugely reliant on Maynard,maybe Noble.
Haven't seen any of the other side but the top 3 should all win but finals always throw up a surprise or two

North/South Predictions?

I'm thinking the top 3 roll on....then PV v Elsternwick. Oakleigh v Caulfield. Anyone think an upset can happen this week?

Mate,you wouldn't write too many tickets at those odds,Willy would have to win 6 games all for $1.15,having said that they're obviously the team to beat.
I fancy Werribee to beat Balwyn,hugely reliant on Murphy and with both the Deans in its Werribee for mine.
Noble/Altona a toss up,Altona also hugely reliant on Maynard,maybe Noble.
Haven't seen any of the other side but the top 3 should all win but finals always throw up a surprise or two

Interesting considering the 2 teams that Willy have lost to were Balwyn and Altona
Both Willy and Balwyn accounted for Werribee quite easily within the season
I think it's fair to say that we will have 3 low scoring finals

Interesting weekend in the North/South. Oakleigh dominant as expected, Caulfield had a few decent hiccups against Elsternwick and PV/Kew having the Tie. I headed up to Watsonia on Saturday and i can say there was a fair bit of heat in that game. Didn't see what transpired Sunday but I can only imagine.

Quick question about using a 12th man. Kew rotated their bowlers off all day. They didn't even pretend to be injured. Thompson would have gone off 4 or 5 times straight after bowling and stayed off for a while. Can you do this? Why isn't everyone doing this?

Interesting weekend in the North/South. Oakleigh dominant as expected, Caulfield had a few decent hiccups against Elsternwick and PV/Kew having the Tie. I headed up to Watsonia on Saturday and i can say there was a fair bit of heat in that game. Didn't see what transpired Sunday but I can only imagine.

Quick question about using a 12th man. Kew rotated their bowlers off all day. They didn't even pretend to be injured. Thompson would have gone off 4 or 5 times straight after bowling and stayed off for a while. Can you do this? Why isn't everyone doing this?
Interesting about the sub fielders. How would you interpret 'wholly acceptable reasons' in Law 2 - 1b of the laws of cricket? Presumably "having a rest because I've just bowled my spell" isn't an acceptable reason if a substitute isn't even allowed when a bowler wants to change their boots (see 1c). There aren't any additional rules or conditions in the subbies comp in this area for 1st and 2nd grade matches, so the official laws would apply.

https://www.lords.org/mcc/laws-of-c...tsman-retiring-or-batsman-commencing-innings/

No surprise with the Kew V PV game, awesome by PV to stay in the contest and keep fighting, some dogged blokes in that side.

Willy to win the other side of the draw and Caulfield PV to play off in the other final

NS still a wide open race with PV struggling in week 1. Think they will bounce back this week but lucky to still be hosting after the tie. Caulfield have the batting depth to counter Oakleigh's bowling, like to see Caulfield bat first and set the Oakleigh a serious target. Think it will be close but Caulfield PV GF for me too. In EW, no one seems to give anyone else but Willy a chance so maybe the upset could be coming this week.

Great weekend of finals in both sides,Going for Willy over Altona and Noble over Balwyn in the upset.
I agree with RTG,reckon Rummans is due for a biggie,what better time to produce,Caulfield to get home,Plenty should beat Elsternwick.Expect some big crowds with great weather

Certainly going to be interesting at Oakleigh this weekend. Feel like it will need to be a low scoring game for Oakleigh to win it. Caulfield v Elsternwick final for me. Feel like PV may have run out of luck.

Great win by the A's, will be a good contest v Balwyn, tipping the A's in a close one, Maynard due for a big one

Caulfield and PV both cruise in, will be a strong battle, PV's home track I hear is the polar opposite to the flat road at Caulfield!

Finals always throw up a few surprises. Williamstown would be bitterly disappointed after having dominated all year and Noble Park were very close to getting over Balwyn. In the other group, it should be a great battle between Plenty Valley and Caulfield. I'm tipping Plenty Valley in a close one at home.

Grand Final Predictions.
E/W 1sts
Balwyn v Altona - Balwyn too strong. Impressive win by Altona against Willy but going with the favourites.

2nds
Yarraville v Box Hill - Maybe Box Hill just but think who ever bats first wins it.

N/S 1sts
Plenty Valley v Caulfield - Some big names in this final. Plenty valley for me in this battle of the wallets

2nds
Oakleigh v Brighton - Believe oaks are a class above so a comfortable win here

Grand Final Predictions.
E/W 1sts
Balwyn v Altona - Balwyn too strong. Impressive win by Altona against Willy but going with the favourites.

2nds
Yarraville v Box Hill - Maybe Box Hill just but think who ever bats first wins it.

N/S 1sts
Plenty Valley v Caulfield - Some big names in this final. Plenty valley for me in this battle of the wallets

2nds

May not be so comfortable in N/S 2's Brighton in 5th GF in 10 years. Fair effort and alot of the group very determined.

Grand Final Predictions.
E/W 1sts

2nds

N/S 1sts

2nds

EW 1s - Expect Balwyn to be too good
EW 2s - Yarraville just
NS 1s - Sticking with Caulfield, Loughnan has really impacted since coming into the 1s
NS 2s - Tight, but Oakleigh get a good in after losing in the 1s, Oakleigh just at home

EW 1s - Expect Balwyn to be too good
EW 2s - Yarraville just
NS 1s - Sticking with Caulfield, Loughnan has really impacted since coming into the 1s
NS 2s - Tight, but Oakleigh get a good in after losing in the 1s, Oakleigh just at home
Agree on all except NS 1'S- The difference between Caulfield's best players and worst players is too big, PV a lot more even across the board. Don't discount the A's, lots of good slow bowling options!

Back