Subbies Thread

Which happens to be the same as that used in the new CSB comp last season. Coincidence?

I wouldn't jump to conclusions Scorer.

I like it, it's good for the comp to spread the talent around and to stop the rich getting richer.

Could someone with the full range of points and discounts in front of them put a number on this hypothetical Caulfield R1 line up:-

Rummans, 1st Class
King, Premier 1s
Baldry, Premier 1s
Thorne, Premiers 1s
Graf, Premiers 1s
Warren, Premier 1s
Cross, 1st Grade NSW
Loughman, Premiers 1s
Small, Elsternwick 1s
plus 2 homegrowns etc

Are they under the cap?

Last edited:
I wouldn't jump to conclusions Scorer.

I like it, it's good for the comp to spread the talent around and to stop the rich getting richer.

Could someone with the full range of points and discounts in front of them put a number on this hypothetical Caulfield R1 line up:-

Rummans, 1st Class
King, Premier 1s
Baldry, Premier 1s
Thorne, Premiers 1s
Graf, Premiers 1s
Warren, Premier 1s
Cross, 1st Grade NSW
Loughman, Premiers 1s
Small, Elsternwick 1s
plus 2 homegrowns etc

Are they under the cap?

Rummans, 1st Class - Played Subbies last year - 3 Points
King, Premier 1s - Played premier over 3 years ago - 1 Point
Baldry, Premier 1s - Not sure how long ago he played premier ones
Thorne, Premiers 1s - Played premier ones over 2 years ago - 2 points
Graf, Premiers 1s - Played Subbies Last year - 3 points
Warren, Premier 1s - Played premier over 3 years ago - 1 point
Cross, 1st Grade NSW - Not sure how long ago he played Grade Cricket
Loughman, Premiers 1s - Played premier over 3 years ago - 1 point
Small, Elsternwick 1s - 1 point
plus 2 homegrowns etc - 1 point each

They will be well under the cap of 20 points

Rummans, 1st Class - Played Subbies last year - 3 Points
King, Premier 1s - Played premier over 3 years ago - 1 Point
Baldry, Premier 1s - Not sure how long ago he played premier ones
Cross, 1st Grade NSW - Not sure how long ago he played Grade Cricket
Small, Elsternwick 1s - 1 point

They will be well under the cap of 20 points

Thanks Dougie.

Would Rummans be 5 down to 4?

Baldry and Cross were some time ago so based Warren, Loughman presume they would be 1 pts also.

So no penalty for King or Small coming from other clubs?

Thanks Dougie.

Would Rummans be 5 down to 4?

Baldry and Cross were some time ago so based Warren, Loughman presume they would be 1 pts also.

So no penalty for King or Small coming from other clubs?

Rummans to be a 3 as he played subbies last year and hasn't played first class cricket in over 5 years
No penalty for king or small as they played in another comp that was either par or below subbies.

Rummans to be a 3 as he played subbies last year and hasn't played first class cricket in over 5 years
No penalty for king or small as they played in another comp that was either par or below subbies.

Fair enough. IMO if you can put together the list Caulfield has and still be under the cap then it ain't much of a cap. Would any other team come close to Caulfield in terms of points? Maybe the thought is bring in it in soft to start with and then tighten it up.

I had to fill out the form for my club’s CSB points last year, and I can only go on what you have all said about the system being the same as what we had last year.

If that is the case, then the points are based on the highest grade you have played in the last 5 seasons (since 12/13).
The one caveat is for home grown players who have played 1 season of juniors at your club – they will always be 1 point unless they play beyond 5 years in which case they will be 0.
Other players lose points for a loyalty bonus each year if they play beyond a 2nd year, down to a minimum of 1

So some examples –

King has played 1 game of premier in the past 5 years for FDCC (just) – so he will be 4 points for this year and next
Thorne played premier at Geelong, but loses a point for having played the past 2 years at Caulfield – he will be 3 this year, 2 next year
Rummans has played premier in the past 5 years, - he will be 4 points this year, but will lose a point next season if he continues on

As I said, this is based on the system being the same as what we had (and not knowing their junior history)

I've seen the proposed points system. It looks a complete mess. Good luck trying to work it out. The comp will need to hold an info night to explain it.

I've seen the proposed points system. It looks a complete mess. Good luck trying to work it out. The comp will need to hold an info night to explain it.
It's certainly easier to understand (and given the lack of points given to juniors it's much fairer) than the VTCA model.
I didn't actually think it was that hard to compile.
Just had to work out the highest level somebody had played in the previous 5 years, find the applicable points, and apply a discount if necessary.

It's certainly easier to understand (and given the lack of points given to juniors it's much fairer) than the VTCA model.
I didn't actually think it was that hard to compile.
Just had to work out the highest level somebody had played in the previous 5 years, find the applicable points, and apply a discount if necessary.

Interesting. No 5 year rule on the copy I've seen.

Interesting. If my understanding is correct, which it might not be, the highest points apply and Caulfield look like this:-

Rummans, 1st Class - Based on Ist Class, 1 pt. Based on 1st XI Premier who first Played Subbies last year - 3 Points
King, Premier 1s - Played premier over 3 years ago - 1 Point, coming from Bentleigh but back to old VSDCA - 2 points
Baldry, Premier 1s - Played premier over 3 years ago - 1 point
Cross, 1st Grade NSW - over 3 years ago - 1 point
Small, Elsternwick 1s - VSDCA transfer, 4 points down to 3 points in 17/18

TOTAL = 19

Wouldn't have mattered if they were over as they would be approved for 17/18 due to extenuating circumstances.

Cap to reduce in 18/19.

Interesting. If my understanding is correct, which it might not be, the highest points apply and Caulfield look like this:-

Rummans, 1st Class - Based on Ist Class, 1 pt. Based on 1st XI Premier who first Played Subbies last year - 3 Points
King, Premier 1s - Played premier over 3 years ago - 1 Point, coming from Bentleigh but back to old VSDCA - 2 points

TOTAL = 19

Wouldn't have mattered if they were over as they would be approved for 17/18 due to extenuating circumstances.

Cap to reduce in 18/19.

Seems about right. Assuming it is, and assuming their team remains the same in 18/19 they would lose a point on Rummans, King, Thorne, Graf and Small. Takes them down to 14 points in 18/19.

Doubt the VSDCA drops the points from 20-15 in one year given that a fully homegrown side = 11.

This system won't stop anything.. its all smoke and mirrors. There's always ways around a points system.

Seems about right. Assuming it is, and assuming their team remains the same in 18/19 they would lose a point on Rummans, King, Thorne, Graf and Small. Takes them down to 14 points in 18/19.

Doubt the VSDCA drops the points from 20-15 in one year given that a fully homegrown side = 11.

This system won't stop anything.. its all smoke and mirrors. There's always ways around a points system.

Agree that the cap of 20 is too high but bringing in points isn't really about this season, it's about how clubs bring new players on in years to come. Caulfield benefit from Baldry, Warren, Cross etc being 1 points but as they retire/leave, and the cap reduces, it will be hard to bring in say, Rummans (4) Graf (4) and Small (4) in the one go. I still think it is the right way to go and there are no loopholes once the system gets going and the cap drops.

TOTAL = 19

Cap to reduce in 18/19.

Extenuating circumstances.. my heart bleeds for them

May I respectfully suggest what you actually had in mind in respect to ''anything'' was it won't prevent outrageous amounts being outlaid by clubs who have the means to do so. If anything, the points system encourages high profile players putting high prices on their heads knowing financial restraints are not now an issue. Being a well-run comp, I think it the subbies admin will look to altering the points if they think it must be in an attempt to provide some semblence of a level playing field.

Back