Subbies Thread

TBH we have had that debate in the past I feel like the whole thing is becoming quite repetitive. In the end, it is a debate that hopefully won't ever be resolved so it all comes down to personal opinion. You have yours, I have mine, sometimes we agree, on this issue we don't. SBOCC, Hoppers and Taylors Lake aren't interesting because they didn't win VTCA Senior Div or Subbies flags. They are interesting because with all the cards on the table, they made the decision to switch comps and I think that says alot. South Caulfield didn't switch so I guess that says something too (although quite frankly I still don't understand why, big fish/little pond?). You should be extremely happy with how Hampton is going. I have never met you personally, and, at the risk of appearing to pi$$ in your pocket, which I am not, I have no doubt you are a good cricket person, the type all clubs need to succeed.

If I had been a betting man, I would have wagered both South Caulfield and Yarraville Club would have applied to join the subbies. Maybe the Subbies admin didn't want the clubbers in their comp due its proximity to Yarraville C C. At the time, I thought why wouldn't the subbies wish to expand given they were no longer hamstrung by the dividend. Why don't they seek to expand to the level where they can have 2 levels then being able to implement a promotion and relegation system? Is it failing to cash in on its good name by not doing so?

I merely asked for reasons why people think Subbies is better – and a couple of people were good enough to respond. As I said before, I don’t really care – and have too much on my hands to get in a pi$$ing contest about who is better
If you want to cherry-pick examples though then your argument falls flat. To say a club wouldn’t be as strong without player X – that can apply in any comp, with any team. And South Caulfield – as you say - might be the only team who could win a subbies flag (although Bonbeach did beat them twice this year), but Hoppers weren’t exactly lighting up the VTCA, and Taylors Lakes weren’t even in the top division before coming across to the Subbies. But they are just cherry picked examples
And for what it’s worth, I’m pretty happy where we are going at Hampton. We are building from the bottom up, we will have 5-7 U18s play 1st XI this season, a similar amount play 2nds – and we have a couple of young guys playing Premier 1s at the minute.

Taylors Lakes were 3rd tier VTCA and finished top 6 in one of the Subbies divisions

If I had been a betting man, I would have wagered both South Caulfield and Yarraville Club would have applied to join the subbies. Maybe the Subbies admin didn't want the clubbers in their comp due its proximity to Yarraville C C. At the time, I thought why wouldn't the subbies wish to expand given they were no longer hamstrung by the dividend. Why don't they seek to expand to the level where they can have 2 levels then being able to implement a promotion and relegation system? Is it failing to cash in on its good name by not doing so?

Westie, I am sure if you or I sat down to revamp these comps we would produce a very different format to what CV propose. That is the issue, CV are driving the change with their blueprint which to date seems not negotiable. The focus of their blueprint is geograhical boundaries driven by the aim of single points of contact with local government. Any modified version that Subbies has proposed has been rejected by CV.

If I was a betting man I would nearly bet that clubs like South Caulfield were blocked by clubs like Caulfield.

If I was a betting man I would nearly bet that clubs like South Caulfield were blocked by clubs like Caulfield.

I don't know if any applications were blocked, SC, YCCC, any other club. But, it doesn't make sense to me as South Caulfield competes with Caulfield and Ormond for talent, sponsors, grants etc no matter which comp they play in so nothing changes if they play in the same comp.

Westie, I am sure if you or I sat down to revamp these comps we would produce a very different format to what CV propose. That is the issue, CV are driving the change with their blueprint which to date seems not negotiable. The focus of their blueprint is geograhical boundaries driven by the aim of single points of contact with local government. Any modified version that Subbies has proposed has been rejected by CV.

The subbies are already in defiance of the aims of the blueprint and clubs have been admitted to the competition subsequent to the blueprint. Given your earlier posts asking what else can CV do to undermine the subbies, what has it got to lose by persisting with doing what it thinks is in its best interests? As both it and clubs are incorporated associations, I question whether CV would have the legal right to block clubs seeking to move from one competition to another.

I don't know if any applications were blocked, SC, YCCC, any other club. But, it doesn't make sense to me as South Caulfield competes with Caulfield and Ormond for talent, sponsors, grants etc no matter which comp they play in so nothing changes if they play in the same comp.
Not sure if they are really competing. Caulfield and Ormond have vibrant junior programs culminating in Craig Shield. Does South Caulfield have a junior program?

The subbies are already in defiance of the aims of the blueprint and clubs have been admitted to the competition subsequent to the blueprint. Given your earlier posts asking what else can CV do to undermine the subbies, what has it got to lose by persisting with doing what it thinks is in its best interests? As both it and clubs are incorporated associations, I question whether CV would have the legal right to block clubs seeking to move from one competition to another.

I agree with the sentiment and also that if CV could block teams moving to Subbies then they would have done so. I guess Subbies main objection to the CV blueprint is that if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

Dan Forbes has signed with Hampton. Has strong ties to Oakleigh who currently have one of the lowest points total in the comp. Wonder if they have a big fish in their sights.

I agree with the sentiment and also that if CV could block teams moving to Subbies then they would have done so. I guess Subbies main objection to the CV blueprint is that if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

Definitely believe the subbies opposition to the blueprint will be a tough nut for CV to crack. I am less convinced the VTCA will have the same resolve in which case the subbies clubs over here may soon have the CV model in the North West as their neighbour. Sunshine's president has told me that towards the end of last season the VTCA's president was only able to participate at delegates meetings by video link from his home due to ill-health. In previous season's the Grand Final edition of the Leading Edge would have been posted on the home page well before now, but not so far this year.Anyone know what's going on ?

Definitely believe the subbies opposition to the blueprint will be a tough nut for CV to crack. I am less convinced the VTCA will have the same resolve in which case the subbies clubs over here may soon have the CV model in the North West as their neighbour. Sunshine's president has told me that towards the end of last season the VTCA's president was only able to participate at delegates meetings by video link from his home due to ill-health. In previous season's the Grand Final edition of the Leading Edge would have been posted on the home page well before now, but not so far this year.Anyone know what's going on ?
I think he has been crook for a while – I went to a few meetings where he didn’t attend (including the one where the clubs voted to leave).
I don’t think the northern VTCA clubs will be far from a similar set-up to CSB
Don’t know what is going on with the Leading Edge – although I saw a post from the Book of Faces the other day that seemed to reflect the same old aggressive nature of their communications. It was quite comical

I think he has been crook for a while – I went to a few meetings where he didn’t attend (including the one where the clubs voted to leave).
I don’t think the northern VTCA clubs will be far from a similar set-up to CSB
Don’t know what is going on with the Leading Edge – although I saw a post from the Book of Faces the other day that seemed to reflect the same old aggressive nature of their communications. It was quite comical
The Leading Edge was run by Brian Quinn for years and was quality, until he also got the heave ho and the President took over.

the Bats well and truly will be above the 20 points this season!!
Black (played 1st eleven the year before last)
Pearson (1sts for Kingston Hawthorn last year)
Trevaskis (2nds from Hampshire)

See PV have opened up the wallet to try and paper over some cracks. Not sure that they have a homegrown player in
the Bats well and truly will be above the 20 points this season!!
Black (played 1st eleven the year before last)
Pearson (1sts for Kingston Hawthorn last year)
Trevaskis (2nds from Hampshire)

Absolutely, I don't think they will be a top 4 contender. 6 out from last years team. Kew and Brunswick to take over from them as the teams to beat in the North

See PV have opened up the wallet to try and paper over some cracks. Not sure that they have a homegrown player in

Absolutely, I don't think they will be a top 4 contender. 6 out from last years team. Kew and Brunswick to take over from them as the teams to beat in the North

Not sure kew will be at the pointy end, they've lost gledhill and not sure they've gained many/any.

Back