Subbies Thread

You're right that some clubs don't pay $10-$15k for players. However, Caulfield would be paying more than that for Thorne and Rummans individually! Be closer to 50k for them two alone! Dreaming if you think otherwise.

It’s so funny reading all these posts. I very rarely post but just need to at times. You blokes are so delusional about how much each club pays players.
Caulfield paying 100k. Haha that’s a joke. And yes I have recently played there. Brighton paying close to 50k. Haha no chance. And yes I’m playing there currently.

It’s so funny reading all these posts. I very rarely post but just need to at times. You blokes are so delusional about how much each club pays players.
Caulfield paying 100k. Haha that’s a joke. And yes I have recently played there. Brighton paying close to 50k. Haha no chance. And yes I’m playing there currently.

You honestly think Rummans and Thorne are getting less than 50k between them? Plenty of worse blokes getting around on 15-20k a season.

With respect, it is not a joke; it is a matter that ought to be of serious concern, particularly in a competition that does not have a promotion and relegation system. You may be aware the VTCA introduced a player points system years earlier yet, it does not appear to have been effective in evening out that comp's Senior Division.
Remember the vtca lost their powerful South sides in Bentleigh and South Caulfield who won the last true VTCA flag.

Interesting debate this one. A certain player from down Caulfield way with initials GR was targeted some seasons ago. Strong information was that the contract was for 60k, plus a job and a car.
Would seem that the same would be on really decent figure at the moment.

MrsPepperfield can you give us your breakdown of the 100k Caulfield is spending? Would love to see it

My Breakdown would be (at a minimum)

Thorne $30k
Rummans $25k
Denny $15k (maybe more given recent performances)
Graf $10k (alot of worse players knocking around on more than that as some others have said)
A few others on $5k potentially with some other spattering

Circa $100k

How they retain I have no idea, ours and plenty of other clubs have made approaches. Don't seem to want to leave. Given you said you've played at both, why the change?

My Breakdown would be (at a minimum)

Thorne $30k
Rummans $25k
Denny $15k (maybe more given recent performances)
Graf $10k (alot of worse players knocking around on more than that as some others have said)
A few others on $5k potentially with some other spattering

Circa $100k

How they retain I have no idea, ours and plenty of other clubs have made approaches. Don't seem to want to leave. Given you said you've played at both, why the change?

Haha. MrsPepperfield you are a pissa. I love the way you come up with random figures and just assume you are correct.
You have absolutely no idea and couldn't be further from the truth.
Do you realise that some blokes just want to play at a decent club and have success and make enough money in their day job to not have to get paid on a weekend, with the added the pressure?
You blokes just think you know it all, but actually have no idea.

60k?? Haha. You are kidding.

Agree, 99% of comments are here about what players are on is straight up guesswork. Just because a CC of a club is on good $$$, it doesn't follow that every other player in the comp who is as good or better than him is on the same or more. My take on it is that every CC except at Endeavour is on something for their time and efforts. Ex first class players like Rummans would be on something, probably fair. After that, there is probably a mix of $$$ being paid by the cashed up clubs down to others who people probably think are getting paid but may only be getting their kit and subs waived.

I like that the points cap is being tightened again as it is a better solution that than the old paid pro rule which was being abused by plenty and possibly being respected by others which was a disaster for them.

As Westy says, that still leaves a gap between those clubs that have the money and the inclination to "buy" flags and the rest for which there is no practical solution other than to sift those clubs out and put them in their own comp. Take the usual suspects out of subbies, join them up with your South Caulfield's, your Doutta's, your Yarraville Club's, your Buckley Ridges', your Mordi's, take off the points cap and salary cap, and let them spend as much as they want.

Remember the vtca lost their powerful South sides in Bentleigh and South Caulfield who won the last true VTCA flag.

You are right, but it is also the case South Caulfield were (still are?) outlaying big coin which is really the bone of contention in current posts.
Agree, 99% of comments are here about what players are on is straight up guesswork. Just because a CC of a club is on good $$$, it doesn't follow that every other player in the comp who is as good or better than him is on the same or more. My take on it is that every CC except at Endeavour is on something for their time and efforts. Ex first class players like Rummans would be on something, probably fair. After that, there is probably a mix of $$$ being paid by the cashed up clubs down to others who people probably think are getting paid but may only be getting their kit and subs waived.

I like that the points cap is being tightened again as it is a better solution that than the old paid pro rule which was being abused by plenty and possibly being respected by others which was a disaster for them.

As Westy says, that still leaves a gap between those clubs that have the money and the inclination to "buy" flags and the rest for which there is no practical solution other than to sift those clubs out and put them in their own comp. Take the usual suspects out of subbies, join them up with your South Caulfield's, your Doutta's, your Yarraville Club's, your Buckley Ridges', your Mordi's, take off the points cap and salary cap, and let them spend as much as they want.

You are right, but it is also the case South Caulfield were (still are?) outlaying big coin which is really the bone of contention in current posts.

Your final para above is in line with the thinking of my cricketing mates at our monthly get-together. We think it is not the actual amounts offered that is the key point, rather, it is whether the amounts offered by the Caulfield's et al are in excess of that which the majority of clubs can afford. I know of one club when it is fixtured to play v the SE division under the rotational programme has concluded it is pointless outlaying large sums on attracting players during that season. Much discussion took place on this forum when it was announced the dividend would be phased out that it would increase the gap between the haves and have not's. I think this prediction is now being played out.

Just a quick question to gauge peoples views on the matter, with the points system now down to 20, does it really matter how much a team pays to their players? In the end, if you can afford these players and they fit in the allocated points structure, it's fair play in my view.

Also, some news might be brewing down Brun$wick way and it's the sort of news that may ruffle a few feathers around the competition.

Just a quick question to gauge peoples views on the matter, with the points system now down to 20, does it really matter how much a team pays to their players? In the end, if you can afford these players and they fit in the allocated points structure, it's fair play in my view.

Also, some news might be brewing down Brun$wick way and it's the sort of news that may ruffle a few feathers around the competition.

No it doesn't but it does aid rich clubs in retaining players as many have mentioned. It will however prevent clubs from recruiting additional players that are close to 20 points and will create a more even playing field when good players leave clubs close to the 20 points with an inability to replace them.

Do tell on Brunswick dougie

Back