Subbies Thread

The East/West ladder shows only one side from the east, MtWaverley in the top 6, and 5 of the bottom 6 are also from the east. Any of you folks from the east throw some light on this?

It's probably a bit closer than it looks though, Altona, Werribee and Willy clear stand outs so far, and Yarraville probably a little bit of a surprise on 6-2, but then the remainder of the 12 teams have won 2 or 3 games each. A mixed bag of results in the first round back could dramatically change the middle order. I don't recall a season in either division where almost any team could beat another on any given day. There are no unbeatables and no certain wins.

The subbies home page on Wednesday asked clubs to cover their pitches ahead of the impending rain. Reasonable and logical in theory, but the practical application of the request was a different story altogether due to gale force winds in many regions where subbies clubs are located. Persons tasked by clubs to comply with the subbies directions to lay covers in extreme conditions are at risk of sustaining injury in doing so. I fear, in the event of someone being injured in the course of carrying out such directions in extreme conditions, it could be accused of being recklessly indifferent to the well-being of individuals actually tasked with implementing the direction. As you will be aware, the subbies relies on the goodwill of the clubs in implementing their directions -- they cannot legally require compliance with a direction to lay covers.

The subbies home page on Wednesday asked clubs to cover their pitches ahead of the impending rain. Reasonable and logical in theory, but the practical application of the request was a different story altogether due to gale force winds in many regions where subbies clubs are located. Persons tasked by clubs to comply with the subbies directions to lay covers in extreme conditions are at risk of sustaining injury in doing so. I fear, in the event of someone being injured in the course of carrying out such directions in extreme conditions, it could be accused of being recklessly indifferent to the well-being of individuals actually tasked with implementing the direction. As you will be aware, the subbies relies on the goodwill of the clubs in implementing their directions -- they cannot legally require compliance with a direction to lay covers.
CSB did the same and it was a wise decision !

No doubt there are inherent risks with putting out covers and I've got hilarious, but frightening memories of people picked up metres off the ground as gusts of wind blow under the canvas. However, the VSDCA along with other associations are promoting much closer relationships between clubs and major stakeholders such as councils and curators. To that point I'd suggest most clubs would've peered out the window or looked up the BOM site prior to the "official" notification and proactively taken steps to best manage their wicket tables as early as possible.

It's not perfect, but it's improving.

No doubt there are inherent risks with putting out covers and I've got hilarious, but frightening memories of people picked up metres off the ground as gusts of wind blow under the canvas. However, the VSDCA along with other associations are promoting much closer relationships between clubs and major stakeholders such as councils and curators. To that point I'd suggest most clubs would've peered out the window or looked up the BOM site prior to the "official" notification and proactively taken steps to best manage their wicket tables as early as possible.

It's not perfect, but it's improving.
Yes, putting my hand up to assist in laying full-sized covers came to an end a few seasons back following being lifted metres off the ground and crashing to earth just alongside a number of the securing pegs. If I had landed on those heaven knows! You will be aware Sam Harper had to be subbed off for a tumble that rather closely resembled what I, and others I know, have experienced in being thrown into the air in handling full-size covers in gale-force conditions. I suggest clubs ask the VSDCA executive what its attitude would be if a club did not comply with a direction to lay the full-size cover in extreme conditions in order to ensure those tasked with doing so were not at risk of sustaining serious injury. My former dentist is now a paraplegic after falling off a ladder when pruning a tree in his back yard.
There are some mechanical aids that can be helpful in aiding the laying of covers in extreme conditions, but that said, I cross my fingers that no-one laying covers is seriously injured in the process.

East /West,impossible task with virtually every game a toss up,but here goes;
Bayswater to beat Hoppers,both out of form,maybe home ground advantage on probably the comp's best wicket.
Endeavour Hills to beat Box Hill,both coming good at the end,good to see Endeavour finally with some good talent.
Croydon might go down to Mt.Waverley,both having poor seasons,Mount's opener Millier could be the difference.
Noble Park to beat Balwyn to keep their place in the six.
Willy and Werribee in a blockbuster,McMinn in sparkling form for the towners,if he gets in it will be good to watch but Werribee's attack very strong.maybe werribee in a thriller.
Yarraville maybe over Melton,whoever wins this will need around the 240-250 mark on the quickest outfield i've ever seen,Macrae and Taylor class acts for Melton will need to score heavily.
Altona should bounce back after a recent slump and defeat an improving Taylors Lakes,promises to be a terrific few weeks of cricket,good luck to all.

Wow, what a final round! Some amazing results. East/West, almost diabolical that only one East team finished in the top 8! Willy & Yarraville with home ground advantage look the teams to beat. Werribee certainly have the talent though. And yes Yarraville Oval resembles an ice-skating rink it's so quick.
North/South, you couldn't have gotten odds on either Brunswick or Brighton missing, but both? Extraordinary. The top two sides look best equipped again, but if this season has shown us anything, it's to expect the unexpected.

Congrats to Werribee on winning the club champs, only the 3 club to win it multiple times now after Melton four and Oakleigh seven.

Wow, what a final round! Some amazing results. East/West, almost diabolical that only one East team finished in the top 8! Willy & Yarraville with home ground advantage look the teams to beat. Werribee certainly have the talent though. And yes Yarraville Oval resembles an ice-skating rink it's so quick.
North/South, you couldn't have gotten odds on either Brunswick or Brighton missing, but both? Extraordinary. The top two sides look best equipped again, but if this season has shown us anything, it's to expect the unexpected.

Congrats to Werribee on winning the club champs, only the 3 club to win it multiple times now after Melton four and Oakleigh seven.

It's quite amazing that only one east team finished in the top 8. I wonder if you could put that down to them having to play against the west this season and traveling every second week resulting in the loss of players before the season had started or even recruiting players for that matter.

Take the top division in the ECA in Dunstan Shield, players who live in and around that area would only travel a max of 20 mins to the furthest ground but if they played for a club like Box Hill, Balwyn etc, then those players could be travelling up to an hour to play a game of cricket which is not ideal.

As for Brunswick, considering the time and money they have outlaid to get the ultimate success which has ultimately backfired, I wonder how much pressure they have put themselves in for the next few years and beyond.

It's quite amazing that only one east team finished in the top 8. I wonder if you could put that down to them having to play against the west this season and traveling every second week resulting in the loss of players before the season had started or even recruiting players for that matter.

Take the top division in the ECA in Dunstan Shield, players who live in and around that area would only travel a max of 20 mins to the furthest ground but if they played for a club like Box Hill, Balwyn etc, then those players could be travelling up to an hour to play a game of cricket which is not ideal.

As for Brunswick, considering the time and money they have outlaid to get the ultimate success which has ultimately backfired, I wonder how much pressure they have put themselves in for the next few years and beyond.

How about $righton?? 4th year in a row!

Some amazing outcomes alright,didn't take Dougie long to dance on Brunswick's grave!
Hope the weather allows us to get on this week.
I reckon Moorabbins resurgence has been a highlight,some had them disbanding/going into Mercantile ,couldnt field a side etc and look at them now,terrific.
On another front,anyone heard the rumour that expansion is back on the table,4 clubs considering joining as early as next season???

Some amazing outcomes alright,didn't take Dougie long to dance on Brunswick's grave!
Hope the weather allows us to get on this week.
I reckon Moorabbins resurgence has been a highlight,some had them disbanding/going into Mercantile ,couldnt field a side etc and look at them now,terrific.
On another front,anyone heard the rumour that expansion is back on the table,4 clubs considering joining as early as next season???

I have heard that Donvale will be entering the subbies next year.

Back