Subbies Thread

Turfie IMHO cancelling a cricket game is inconsistent with other ongoing activities that are currently considered completely acceptable. Playing cricket, in the open, keeping your distance, would be far lesser risk than catching a plane, going to the supermarket, having a beer at the pub, I could go on. The Merc just has the cohunas to call it as they see it

Been a while since you last posted--beginning to wonder if you had succumbed to Covid-19! I guess I already knew how little CV can exert direct influence over the conduct of comps other than Premier, and this has been highlighted in recent days. It is not a good look for CV and, IMO, the existing arrangements will not be sustainable in the long-term -- they are century-old relics and totally out of step with the management needs of our game going forward. I always enjoy your posts and hope you will offer comment on this matter.

The Club actually spoke to Subbies in 2018/19 about a possible re admission into competition, but thought we weren't quite ready for it, at the time, At the moment the club is concentrating on our finals campaign and will discuss playing options once this season has been completed.
Port spotswood donvale strathmore will be invited for season 20/21.

Port spotswood donvale strathmore will be invited for season 20/21.
In respect to Spotswood, I was last week told by a member of Newport Digman C C that he had heard admission of new clubs to the subbies needs a 70% approval by existing clubs and the existing nearby subbies clubs intend to oppose Spotswood's admission on the grounds there is already an over-concentration of subbies clubs in the area. Can anyone throw any light on this issue?

Been a while since you last posted--beginning to wonder if you had succumbed to Covid-19! I guess I already knew how little CV can exert direct influence over the conduct of comps other than Premier, and this has been highlighted in recent days. It is not a good look for CV and, IMO, the existing arrangements will not be sustainable in the long-term -- they are century-old relics and totally out of step with the management needs of our game going forward. I always enjoy your posts and hope you will offer comment on this matter.

Hi Westie, yes, hadn't been much activity this season so been watching without feeling the need to join in. This issue has irked me though. The fact that the Merc and the DVCA have taken the contrary view to the CA recommendation really just creates more questions on how the VSDCA and many others reached their decisions. Seems both Oakleigh and Caulfield wanted to play and were prepared to make adjustments to facilitate a game. Given the other activities occurring off the field, I really struggle to comprehend why there are no games this weekend. If we were in lockdown, fair enough, but we are not. To answer the direct question, I will cut CA and CV some slack on this one, hard for them to go out on a limb and give the green light on this issue. That being said, I side with the Merc and the DVCA for pushing ahead. It is impossible to be OK with your kids heading off to school and in the same breath be banning cricket as too dangerous. On other issues, agree entirely.

Hi Westie, yes, hadn't been much activity this season so been watching without feeling the need to join in. This issue has irked me though. The fact that the Merc and the DVCA have taken the contrary view to the CA recommendation really just creates more questions on how the VSDCA and many others reached their decisions. Seems both Oakleigh and Caulfield wanted to play and were prepared to make adjustments to facilitate a game. Given the other activities occurring off the field, I really struggle to comprehend why there are no games this weekend. If we were in lockdown, fair enough, but we are not. To answer the direct question, I will cut CA and CV some slack on this one, hard for them to go out on a limb and give the green light on this issue. That being said, I side with the Merc and the DVCA for pushing ahead. It is impossible to be OK with your kids heading off to school and in the same breath be banning cricket as too dangerous. On other issues, agree entirely.

Know a few players from there, they are a strong side and had a strong season, just looks like they choked on the big day....they will be fine

How would they go with the current points system in place within the competition?
It's not about just the 1s, you would want to ensure the 2's, 3s and 4s are competitive to justify to the subbies they would belong. The same goes for all new clubs that would come into the competition.

Yeh dont know about their 2s 3s and 4ths lol. I assume they would struggle as would most clubs outside this comp dont have the depths of subbies.

As hydroxycloroquine, everyday I read about 5 'cures' found so i dont know how seriously to take this.

Have received an email from a mate involved at Oakleigh - they have been awarded the 1st XI and 3rd XI premierships, as the higher ranked team.

Couldn't beat South Caulfield seconds , just going to dilute the comp even more.
If you seriously think that the side we put on the park in the semi will be the same next season then you need to have a look at yourself, we are currently actively speaking to players like all clubs are in trying to improve our playing stocks, and are confident our list will be stronger again next season whichever competition we play in.

In respect to Spotswood, I was last week told by a member of Newport Digman C C that he had heard admission of new clubs to the subbies needs a 70% approval by existing clubs and the existing nearby subbies clubs intend to oppose Spotswood's admission on the grounds there is already an over-concentration of subbies clubs in the area. Can anyone throw any light on this issue?
Motion will be put to all club presidents at next meeting, where a 50% majority is required for motion to be passed, this is my understanding on how motion will be put to clubs.

Motion will be put to all club presidents at next meeting, where a 50% majority is required for motion to be passed, this is my understanding on how motion will be put to clubs.
To put clubs like Port Melbourne and Donvale from lower grades of CSB and ECA into a Sub District competition could make it hard for them as iv they couldn’t win the premiership those grades well all I can say is prepare for pain boys as Sub District like other competitions will have a points structure which will hard for up to 3 years for both clubs to be competitive.
Good luck anyway boys.

Thanks for your advice and, given your understanding only a 50% majority is needed, I expect Port will be welcomed back to the subbies. Whether the motion will be for all 4 prospective clubs in block or each shall be individually voted on I have no idea. I am just speculating that in the event of the latter, the inner-west clubs may attempt to garner the support to block the admission of Spotswood. However, such is the quality of the subbies admin any issues with Spotswood being admitted has probably already been sorted with the inner-west clubs

If you seriously think that the side we put on the park in the semi will be the same next season then you need to have a look at yourself, we are currently actively speaking to players like all clubs are in trying to improve our playing stocks, and are confident our list will be stronger again next season whichever competition we play in.
Hope you stay in a comp that's improving rapidly .

Letter sent to all clubs. Voted on in April
Meeting - If it goes ahead. 4 clubs clearly articulated in that letter.

Back