Subbies Thread

Agree, this is not a stuff up, it's a backflip, because if they wanted to go to 20 teams, they could. They are choosing not to, and the only variable is the change from Tamblyn to Thomas. Given the Regional restructure is Thomas' baby, one has to wonder whether his lack of progress there has influenced the decision. Very disturbing to say the least.

If CV have abandoned their strategy of bringing existing clubs into Premier Cricket to achieve their expansion aims, maybe they have resigned themselves to spending serious money on establishing new facilities in growth corridors and giving existing Premier clubs in non-growth areas strong incentives to re-locate. After all, it is not so long ago Tamblyn suggested HMU relocate to Chirnside Park. Backflip, stuff-up, call it what one will it is as you say ''very disturbing to say the least''.

Doubt he would be 'gutted'.

Left a subbies minnow with terrible facilities and is now coaching a genuine premiership chance with excellent facilities who don't rely on a cow paddock to roll sides.

Don't think he'd be losing much sleep...

Agree - Mitch has moved on to a VSDCA club with unrivalled facilities and who, early in the season, are setting the on-field benchmark. With this regard, I would suggest he is reasonably content with Season 15/16 and as he very much should be.

However, if you actually know Mitch, you will appreciate that he has a clear career path and intends to Coach at the highest level he can (First Class and/or beyond). The move to Werribee was intended to afford him the opportunity to take the reigns of his own Premier outfit (as Senior Coach) from 16/17. This is now not happening and, irrespective of how well Werribee are travelling in the VSDCA, would be a disappointment to him. This is neither Mitch’s or Werribee’s fault but will have, short term, thrown a spanner in his intended career path and, yes, one must feel for him as well as the 3 clubs impacted.

As for the opportunity to throw a backhander at my club, some quick facts to highlight the idiocy of your ignorance:

1) Minnow club – depends on how you wish to measure things I guess. Let’s use one key measurable; sponsorship dollars. For 2016/2017, the RPBCC Falcons COMFORTABLY sit in the top 3 of ALL 28 VSDCA clubs with regards to TOTAL Sponsorship dollars. Given our Sponsorship business model is to ensure a ROI for our partners, I would suggest it rare that a “minnow club” has tens of thousands of dollars invested within it by strategic partners

2) Facilities – reasonable challenge with regards to the temporary Social Rooms that certainly do lack when compared to others. However, since our merge and relocation in 2012, we have been most fortunate to have been strongly supported by the Hume City Council, including; the conversion of a hardwicket to a turf wicket table, the build of new carparking, the redevelopment of our training facilities (underway at present) and a Financial Budget allocation to complete new Social Rooms in time for Season start 2016/2017. The total investment is well north of $2.5m and is most generously appreciated by club members and the local community alike

3) We “need a cow paddock to roll sides”. Our 1st XI’s record away from home last Season (when finishing on top of the ladder):

Round 1 – defeated Brunswick at Brunswick

Round 3 – lost to Melton at Melton

Round 5 – defeated Plenty Valley at Plenty Valley

Round 7 – defeated Ivanhoe at Ivanhoe

Round 9 – lost to Yarraville at Yarraville

Round 10 – defeated Coburg at Coburg (Outright)

Round 12 – defeated Werribee at Werribee

Suggest that the above is a reasonable “Away from Home” record of 5 wins (including one outright) and 2 losses with wins against Plenty Valley, Ivanhoe and Werribee on their home grounds. In short, our 1st XI was actually better performed away from home last Season than we were at home.

Following merge and relocation in 2012, the RPBCC is essentially building something from scratch – with the strong support of 3rd party business supporters, Council, etc. Within 3 years of starting new – we have seen our 1st XI finish as the minor Premiers and then progress to the GF, have generated business financial support that is the envy of 90% of the Association and have a Council continuing to invest in the club’s platform for the community. The club will continue to encounter trials and tribulations along the way but we should be enormously proud of where we have come from to where we are at and the journey along the way.

Agree - Mitch has moved on to a VSDCA club with unrivalled facilities and who, early in the season, are setting the on-field benchmark. With this regard, I would suggest he is reasonably content with Season 15/16 and as he very much should be.

However, if you actually know Mitch, you will appreciate that he has a clear career path and intends to Coach at the highest level he can (First Class and/or beyond). The move to Werribee was intended to afford him the opportunity to take the reigns of his own Premier outfit (as Senior Coach) from 16/17. This is now not happening and, irrespective of how well Werribee are travelling in the VSDCA, would be a disappointment to him. This is neither Mitch’s or Werribee’s fault but will have, short term, thrown a spanner in his intended career path and, yes, one must feel for him as well as the 3 clubs impacted.

As for the opportunity to throw a backhander at my club, some quick facts to highlight the idiocy of your ignorance:

1) Minnow club – depends on how you wish to measure things I guess. Let’s use one key measurable; sponsorship dollars. For 2016/2017, the RPBCC Falcons COMFORTABLY sit in the top 3 of ALL 28 VSDCA clubs with regards to TOTAL Sponsorship dollars. Given our Sponsorship business model is to ensure a ROI for our partners, I would suggest it rare that a “minnow club” has tens of thousands of dollars invested within it by strategic partners

2) Facilities – reasonable challenge with regards to the temporary Social Rooms that certainly do lack when compared to others. However, since our merge and relocation in 2012, we have been most fortunate to have been strongly supported by the Hume City Council, including; the conversion of a hardwicket to a turf wicket table, the build of new carparking, the redevelopment of our training facilities (underway at present) and a Financial Budget allocation to complete new Social Rooms in time for Season start 2016/2017. The total investment is well north of $2.5m and is most generously appreciated by club members and the local community alike

3) We “need a cow paddock to roll sides”. Our 1st XI’s record away from home last Season (when finishing on top of the ladder):

Round 1 – defeated Brunswick at Brunswick

Round 3 – lost to Melton at Melton

Round 5 – defeated Plenty Valley at Plenty Valley

Round 7 – defeated Ivanhoe at Ivanhoe

Round 9 – lost to Yarraville at Yarraville

Round 10 – defeated Coburg at Coburg (Outright)

Round 12 – defeated Werribee at Werribee

Suggest that the above is a reasonable “Away from Home” record of 5 wins (including one outright) and 2 losses with wins against Plenty Valley, Ivanhoe and Werribee on their home grounds. In short, our 1st XI was actually better performed away from home last Season than we were at home.

Following merge and relocation in 2012, the RPBCC is essentially building something from scratch – with the strong support of 3rd party business supporters, Council, etc. Within 3 years of starting new – we have seen our 1st XI finish as the minor Premiers and then progress to the GF, have generated business financial support that is the envy of 90% of the Association and have a Council continuing to invest in the club’s platform for the community. The club will continue to encounter trials and tribulations along the way but we should be enormously proud of where we have come from to where we are at and the journey along the way.

As predicted you did not disappoint.

Doubt he would be 'gutted'.

Left a subbies minnow with terrible facilities and is now coaching a genuine premiership chance with excellent facilities who don't rely on a cow paddock to roll sides.

Don't think he'd be losing much sleep...

Given we have already read PV's comments on the decision, 'gutted' is not too strong an adjective to describe its feelings. It will be interesting to read, if W'bee and/or Melton go to their local press, what they say. It will be the reaction of the clubs, rather than individuals within them, that will most interest me. If CV was a commercially run organisation, heads would roll over this farce. It was Ronchi who told the press several months the expansion was virtually over the line when, at the same time, my Premier Cricket contacts were telling me this was absolutely not the case.

Given we have already read PV's comments on the decision, 'gutted' is not too strong an adjective to describe its feelings. It will be interesting to read, if W'bee and/or Melton go to their local press, what they say. It will be the reaction of the clubs, rather than individuals within them, that will most interest me. If CV was a commercially run organisation, heads would roll over this farce. It was Ronchi who told the press several months the expansion was virtually over the line when, at the same time, my Premier Cricket contacts were telling me this was absolutely not the case.

Werribee have made a comment, see below:

WERRIBEE CC STATEMENT RE: PREMIER CRICKET EXPANSION

A meeting was held between Cricket Victoria and the 3 clubs vying for a Premier Cricket license (Werribee, Melton & Plenty Valley) on Monday evening.

CV advised that despite CV Board commitment to expanding Premier Cricket, they have determined that, after detailed discussions with the Premier Clubs they are not in the position to recommend a motion of expanding to 20 clubs.

Whilst CV are still committed to expansion they were not in a position to confirm timeframes and/or next steps, as they need to examine the current inhibitors and readdress their value proposition for further discussions with the existing Clubs.

The Werribee Cricket Club now needs to consider if Premier Cricket is still a strategic objective of the Club, noting the VSDCA competition is still subject to the Melbourne Metropolitan Cricket Task Force review being conducted by CV.

The Werribee Cricket Club is very disappointed that the long drawn out process has concluded this way.

The Club under the leadership of President Kirk Norton and Captain/Coach Mitch Johnstone will continue to focus on being a VSDCA force.

Your contacts are the problem
On June 25 (post No. 1617#) I advised that a group of Premier Club Presidents met with the SOLE objective of blocking ANY expansion plans, and you don't need to be Einstein to conclude who the convenor was.

Surely, if people around the fringes of Premier Cricket were aware of the meeting, Cricket Victoria must have had some knowledge of it.

A strong administration would have hauled those recalcitrant clubs in and read the riot act to them about trying to sabotage what was clearly a Cricket Victoria initiative and a blueprint for the advancement of cricket in this State.

We have a Chairman, saying on one hand, that a 20 team comp is a given and needs to happen immediately and some clubs saying, "nup, never gunna happen."

I have been "banging" on about this for yonks, but until there is a Board of Management or a Commission in this state to run cricket, NOTHING will ever change. And of course, there will be no compensation to the 3 clubs who would have spent 100's of man hours on submissions that had NO chance of success.

On June 25 (post No. 1617#) I advised that a group of Premier Club Presidents met with the SOLE objective of blocking ANY expansion plans, and you don't need to be Einstein to conclude who the convenor was.

Surely, if people around the fringes of Premier Cricket were aware of the meeting, Cricket Victoria must have had some knowledge of it.

A strong administration would have hauled those recalcitrant clubs in and read the riot act to them about trying to sabotage what was clearly a Cricket Victoria initiative and a blueprint for the advancement of cricket in this State.

We have a Chairman, saying on one hand, that a 20 team comp is a given and needs to happen immediately and some clubs saying, "nup, never gunna happen."

I have been "banging" on about this for yonks, but until there is a Board of Management or a Commission in this state to run cricket, NOTHING will ever change. And of course, there will be no compensation to the 3 clubs who would have spent 100's of man hours on submissions that had NO chance of success.

100's of man hours and tens of thousands of dollars.

I have also earlier posted on this matter-- p62, post 1230. It is hard to escape the conclusion CV set themselves up to be embarrased, for CV was well aware it did not have the authority of an independent BOM and, as you say, should have been aware of the opposition from a number of its Premier Cricket stakeholders to the proposal. Without doubt, strategic planning in the absence of an independent BOM is not ideal.

St Kilda FC were good in 2011, too.

SW looked very competitive. But after 3 rounds think Sunshine,Melton, Williamstown, Hoppers, Brighton, Elsternwick and Moorrabin will not play finals. Down to 7 teams.

It's a joke how the games that did not get on yesterday won't be rescheduled to the reserve day. How can we have a fair and equitable competition when the VSDCA wet weather committee knew full well yesterday that some games wouldn't get on?

SW looked very competitive. But after 3 rounds think Sunshine,Melton, Williamstown, Hoppers, Brighton, Elsternwick and Moorrabin will not play finals. Down to 7 teams.

Must be tremendously dissapointed with brightons start? Can't count them out of any game though. Obviously rushworth can win games off his own back

Last edited:
It's a joke how the games that did not get on yesterday won't be rescheduled to the reserve day. How can we have a fair and equitable competition when the VSDCA wet weather committee knew full well yesterday that some games wouldn't get on?
A reserve day is for when ALL games are called off, we play on both sides of town and weather is different on both

A reserve day is for when ALL games are called off, we play on both sides of town and weather is different on both
Fully aware of that. Doesn't mean it is fair and equitable though. Particularly when some grounds have inferior covers to other grounds which greatly reduces the likelihood of play.

Fully aware of that. Doesn't mean it is fair and equitable though. Particularly when some grounds have inferior covers to other grounds which greatly reduces the likelihood of play.

Prior to the introduction of covers, some comps had a policy of 'one off, all off'. That may be more equitable, but is impractical. Having started my playing days in a comp that had such a policy, I can tell you it caused much frustration. I think the subbies policy of encouraging as many games to be played as possible is much better, even though it has the potential to cause inequities.

Quick review from a newbie’s point of view:

South/West
A few washouts in Rd 3 but the Grand Final rematch from the South/East last year saw Ormond hold the wood over Oakleigh in a reduced over game. Pinwill and young Brambleby fought for some respectability on the scorecard, with Oaks 9/67 at one stage. Caulfield defended 126 on the big boundaries at Melton, while Moorabbin had its first loss in what could be considered an ‘upset’ against Sunshine. Brighton have started the season at 0-3, big task ahead for Rushworth to bring them back into the mix. The ladder has taken shape early, with positions 1- 7 more than likely to feature in the Final 6, save for Brighton.

North/East
RPB had another loss to go 0-3 along with Croydon, which is a surprise. A couple of crunch games for both clubs this week – 0-4 would make it hard to make the 6. Preston the definite surprise packet early, 3 points clear on top with a big game against Balwyn this week. Noble Park and Ivanhoe played out a tie! Wintle has had a slow start at his new club, but back him in to go big soon.
On the other side Box Hill got on the board against a struggling Coburg. Balwyn comfortably over the Hills, while Mt Waverley at 2-1 have had a good start against the odds. Definitely a weaker group but just about all teams bar a couple should fancy themselves to make the 6.

Just one on the weather, I don't think there will ever be an equitable solution to days where some teams get washed out and some don't. It's a disadvantage to teams that play and lose as much as it is not playing at all.

Agree with westland in that the more cricket that's played, the better. Plus, we really only get this issue 4 weeks in a season (5 this season) when its a one-dayer.

Back