Subbies Thread

I actually think the opposite. Worse case scenario, lose a couple of weaker clubs, 12 team comps instead of 14. Best case scenario, vacancies caused by clubs leaving will be filled by new clubs who choose the VSDCA model over the CV model.

The VSDCA could easily function with less clubs than 14. It would just need different scheduling. 12 clubs per group could work fine.

Could also reintroduce a championship game at the end of the season.

A link for the report if someone is looking for it.

http://www.cricketvictoria.com.au/f...d/MMTCT_Report_-_A_Changing_Game_04.02.15.pdf

Word is that 23 subbies clubs have said no, with 5 stating they need more information.

Thanks for that, so all Subbies clubs start in the Championship, hmmm, interesting. I am glad CV aren't in real estate, Preston isn't an Eastern Suburb, Sunshine isn't a Northern suburb, but hey, whatever. As for reducing travel, tell that to Heathmont, Croydon, and Bayswater when they are away to Preston, sheez...

Thanks for that, so all Subbies clubs start in the Championship, hmmm, interesting. I am glad CV aren't in real estate, Preston isn't an Eastern Suburb, Sunshine isn't a Northern suburb, but hey, whatever. As for reducing travel, tell that to Heathmont, Croydon, and Bayswater when they are away to Preston, sheez...
Yeah, exactly. The East also has 8 subbies clubs in the championship division. I wonder how the ECA would view that.

I'm guessing they rejected subbies proposal of the 4 region model because the South and South East have a higher level of turf clubs than the North and West.

But if you shift the regions clockwise a bit, perhaps you can get a more even balance to work a four region model.

Agree with you about Preston, and East Coburg for that fact! Plenty Valley too. But they'll be playing premier cricket soon won't they?

As for reducing travel, Croydon travelled to Altona, Broady, Werribee and Yarraville last year, Bayswater to Werribee, Melton, Yarraville and Altona. So yes I think overall it does reduce travel (For subbies).

Clubs in the ECA would probably have an increase.

Yeah, exactly. The East also has 8 subbies clubs in the championship division. I wonder how the ECA would view that.

I'm guessing they rejected subbies proposal of the 4 region model because the South and South East have a higher level of turf clubs than the North and West.

But if you shift the regions clockwise a bit, perhaps you can get a more even balance to work a four region model.

Before the Report was in my hands I did not know the reason for CV rejecting the 4 region model. The reason became clear on reading P41 which states the first principle in determining the geographic footprint for each league is alignment with CV's current development regions (of which there are 5 in the metro region closely aligned with municipal boundaries). Round the grounds correctly points out Sunshine isn't a northern suburb, but the City of Sunshine was abolished by the Kennett govt's local govt re-structure. Part of Sunshine found itself being joined up with north western suburbs on the creation of the new municipality of Brimbank, and the remainder found itself in the new municipality of Maribyrnong (Footscray&Yarraville mainly). So, all the former Sunshine clubs domiciled in Brimbank are in the North League. BTW it was one of the reasons for the Sunshine C A disbanding, having lost its identity finding about half its clubs in Brimbank and the other half in Maribyrnong.

Agree with you about Preston, and East Coburg for that fact! Plenty Valley too. But they'll be playing premier cricket soon won't they?

As for reducing travel, Croydon travelled to Altona, Broady, Werribee and Yarraville last year, Bayswater to Werribee, Melton, Yarraville and Altona. So yes I think overall it does reduce travel (For subbies).

Clubs in the ECA would probably have an increase.

Yes, but only 1 team in 4 had to travel. Under the proposal, it's across all grades.

Before the Report was in my hands I did not know the reason for CV rejecting the 4 region model. The reason became clear on reading P41 which states the first principle in determining the geographic footprint for each league is alignment with CV's current development regions (of which there are 5 in the metro region closely aligned with municipal boundaries). Round the grounds correctly points out Sunshine isn't a northern suburb, but the City of Sunshine was abolished by the Kennett govt's local govt re-structure. Part of Sunshine found itself being joined up with north western suburbs on the creation of the new municipality of Brimbank, and the remainder found itself in the new municipality of Maribyrnong (Footscray&Yarraville mainly). So, all the former Sunshine clubs domiciled in Brimbank are in the North League. BTW it was one of the reasons for the Sunshine C A disbanding, having lost its identity finding about half its clubs in Brimbank and the other half in Maribyrnong.

I don't get these 5 development regions. There are 8 pathway regions. Why would the development regions be different to pathways? Maybe they should look at the 8 pathways and pair two neighbouring regions into 4 zones. Hang on a minute, that would be called Subbies...

A link for the report if someone is looking for it.

http://www.cricketvictoria.com.au/f...d/MMTCT_Report_-_A_Changing_Game_04.02.15.pdf

Word is that 23 subbies clubs have said no, with 5 stating they need more information.

As you know, Ken Hilton has asked all clubs for ''clear direction'' at next month's meeting of the Exec with the presidents. It appears 5 clubs are not yet prepared to do so and probably can't be forced into making an immediate decision unless faced with an ultimatum. Such an action would be a sad state of affairs.

That's why we need to change

You don't change for change sake. 23 out of 28 not keen, 5 undecided, pretty underwhelming as far as appetite for change is concerned. Subbies is holding firm at 28 clubs x 4 teams, no drop off there. Is the dividend going to change that? Might lose a couple but won't be drastic. Merc also anti, VTCA apparently NO, ECA sitting on the fence. Only DDCA who are basically unchanged and WDCA who get to exist are in favour. Still a fair bit of work to be done I would have thought.

You don't change for change sake. 23 out of 28 not keen, 5 undecided, pretty underwhelming as far as appetite for change is concerned. Subbies is holding firm at 28 clubs x 4 teams, no drop off there. Is the dividend going to change that? Might lose a couple but won't be drastic. Merc also anti, VTCA apparently NO, ECA sitting on the fence. Only DDCA who are basically unchanged and WDCA who get to exist are in favour. Still a fair bit of work to be done I would have thought.
Not even close....................

We are all now in possession of all the info we need to form an opinion on the merits of the subbies model v the CV model. That's the easy part. I am not convinced the same majority of VTCA clubs are as committed as the subbies clubs. The majority of the VTCA clubs that came across from the Sunshine C A have people on their committees who are not dyed-in-the wool VTCA people. Far from it, many being critical of the VTCA's executive having a 'tin ear'. Also, Scratch has told us of CV's moves in the VTCA's southern territory. My concern is that if the VTCA does not have the support of its clubs and winds up, this could be the catalyst for a domino effect leaving the subbies in 'splendid isolation'. How rough a strategy would CV then be prepared to play to force the subbies clubs to change their mind? Would it deny any grants flowing to clubs not within the CV model? I can understand a number of subbies clubs being undecided if, for no other reason, they consider it too early yet to be asked to give the Executive a 'clear direction'.

We are all now in possession of all the info we need to form an opinion on the merits of the subbies model v the CV model. That's the easy part. I am not convinced the same majority of VTCA clubs are as committed as the subbies clubs. The majority of the VTCA clubs that came across from the Sunshine C A have people on their committees who are not dyed-in-the wool VTCA people. Far from it, many being critical of the VTCA's executive having a 'tin ear'. Also, Scratch has told us of CV's moves in the VTCA's southern territory. My concern is that if the VTCA does not have the support of its clubs and winds up, this could be the catalyst for a domino effect leaving the subbies in 'splendid isolation'. How rough a strategy would CV then be prepared to play to force the subbies clubs to change their mind? Would it deny any grants flowing to clubs not within the CV model? I can understand a number of subbies clubs being undecided if, for no other reason, they consider it too early yet to be asked to give the Executive a 'clear direction'.

You make some good points - will be interesting to see how much hardball CV are prepared to play.

South VTCA clubs are meeting tonight, north clubs next week.
The VTCA acknowledged for the first time last week that they are "of course, at the direction of their clubs" as to which way they go. I'm still unsure as to what the procedure is – if them being against it (either as representatives of clubs, or as an executive) even matters, if those clubs who are in favour decide to do it anyway. I will be asking!!

You make some good points - will be interesting to see how much hardball CV are prepared to play.

South VTCA clubs are meeting tonight, north clubs next week.
The VTCA acknowledged for the first time last week that they are "of course, at the direction of their clubs" as to which way they go. I'm still unsure as to what the procedure is – if them being against it (either as representatives of clubs, or as an executive) even matters, if those clubs who are in favour decide to do it anyway. I will be asking!!

Out of interest given this is Cricket Victoria's preferred structure, beyond the vested interest displayed by club members and associations, what power does Cricket Victoria have to effect the changes proposed?

If this proposed new model had something like VTCA Senior Division which integrates all the top divisions of the respective regions it would at least have some level of clear hierarchy as far as who are the best clubs / first XI's in the state below premier.

Five first divisions from five different geographic regions who do not play teams outside their region does not make sense to me and is a boring concept.

seems like the only question worth asking.

Reading between the lines, a vote is vote and if the vote is no then an association (or clubs within that association) won't join the CV model. But, can or will CV make life difficult for those that don't join? If CV are already removing the dividend, is there actually anything else left of value that they can withhold? Westland referred to grants but I don't know how much these are worth and how often a club might benefit from these. If clubs are financially independent then I can't see the downside of the Subbies model continuing if that is what 23 out of 28 clubs (and counting) want.

If this proposed new model had something like VTCA Senior Division which integrates all the top divisions of the respective regions it would at least have some level of clear hierarchy as far as who are the best clubs / first XI's in the state below premier.

Five first divisions from five different geographic regions who do not play teams outside their region does not make sense to me and is a boring concept.

I think you are right. An elite Ist XI only division for "Super Clubs" would certainly enhance the CV model. Is 14 spots enough to cover the whole of Melbourne? Super Club's lower XI's could play in their regional comp, ticks that box. Only question, how do you promote out of the 5 local comps? Which of the 5 winners do you choose to go up for the bottom placed "Super Club" that gets relegated? That's where the current Subbies style 4 zones, 2 comps would work well, the two regional winners go up to Elite, bottom two Super Clubs go back to their regions...

And before anyone says "you could promote the winner of the Elite comp into Premier" don't bother, it won't happen. Premier clubs will not lose their status unless CV wants one of them out (ala Hawthorn-Monash), and new clubs will only be admitted because they fill a perceived need (ie an area does not currently have a Premier Club nearby).

Back