Subbies Thread

Lloyd Lambert the pom went home, he was home sick.
Looks like we will go down to the wire for the finals ladder positions.
Some interesting games this round. Malvern and Ormond will be a sledge fest. Oakleigh v Caul will see how far Oakleigh can perform after a wash out and Sunshine game. Brunswick V Preston will be hard fought but not much interest in other games in this group. Looks like a great day tomorrow with warm day forecast

Caulfield and Oakleigh should be a cracker. With Caulfield playing Sunshine in the final round, this is pretty much a battle for top spot.

Hoppers have been great this season. i believe they have an exemption from the league to pay 2 extra players. i think next year will give a better indication of where at... But many VTCA clubs pay multiple players, that's the main reason the VTCA has risen in standard the past decade.

Last edited:
Caulfield and Oakleigh should be a cracker. With Caulfield playing Sunshine in the final round, this is pretty much a battle for top spot.

Hoppers have been great this season. i believe they have an exemption from the league to pay 2 extra players. i think next year will give a better indication of where at... But many VTCA clubs pay multiple players, that's the main reason the VTCA has risen in standard the past decade.
Quite true, but there is a points system in place, which does restrict some.

s

From time -to-time the VSDCA's player payment restrictions have been raised on this forum. It is my recollection the general thinking of posters on this issue was it is neither transparent nor rigourously policed. The VTCA's player points system is far more transparent.

Some shit scores today in big games

Even worse, Sunshine lost outright in all four grades this round. This afternoon, I took up with the club's secretary whether there is credence to recent comments from a number of senior cricket folk over here that Sunshine and Sunshine Heights are in discussion in respect to a merger. He said he was unaware of this and Sunshine was not considering a merger. If something is not done to prop up Sunshine I fear its facilities may be lost to cricket.

Even worse, Sunshine lost outright in all four grades this round. This afternoon, I took up with the club's secretary whether there is credence to recent comments from a number of senior cricket folk over here that Sunshine and Sunshine Heights are in discussion in respect to a merger. He said he was unaware of this and Sunshine was not considering a merger. If something is not done to prop up Sunshine I fear its facilities may be lost to cricket.

I'm starting to think its a wider problem for the VSDCA to address - the number of outrights that are happening. In Round 12 there were 14 outrights (1 in every 4 games) across all grades, and another handful which had opportunity.
This season we've had 48 outrights, which is 50% more than the last 4 years (32 in 14/15, 34 in 13/14, 25 in 12/13, 35 in 11/12).

The quality of cricket in the Subbies has fallen away in the last few years.

I'm starting to think its a wider problem for the VSDCA to address - the number of outrights that are happening. In Round 12 there were 14 outrights (1 in every 4 games) across all grades, and another handful which had opportunity.
This season we've had 48 outrights, which is 50% more than the last 4 years (32 in 14/15, 34 in 13/14, 25 in 12/13, 35 in 11/12).

Thanks for the stats--interesting and somewhat disturbing. When I called into Sunshine's rooms yesterday I was told the subbies executive are giving thought to recommending the 3rds and 4ths become one-day fixtures. I would not be surprised if the stats you have provided have relevance to the executive considering a change in the 3rds and 4ths format.

The quality of cricket at all levels has fallen away and it starts with Premier who should get rid of 4ths for starters. Too many clubs at that level.

Since posting the above I have received an email from the Sunshine Heights secretary advising his club is not in discussion with Sunshine re a merger and would not be interested in doing so. This should put to bed the gossip I have heard from several local cricket folk.

Personally I think the results in 3rd & 4th XI almost comes secondary.

You need 4 XIs for so many reasons at Subbies level, mostly survival/financial reasons. Taking away the 3rds & 4ths would really hurt clubs for the following reasons.

- 25-35 less paying members
- no where to blood young, undeveloped players who aren't yet up to 2nd or 1st XI
- loss of income at club functions etc

I do like the idea of the lower grades being one day games though. I think you'd find there would be quite a few older/experienced players who keep playing knowing that they only have to be on the field for 45 overs. The depth is terrible at a lot of clubs so being stuck in the field for 80 overs each week watching 13-14 year old bowlers getting spanked all over the park wouldnt appeal to many, regardless of how much you love your Cricket!

The quality of cricket at all levels has fallen away and it starts with Premier who should get rid of 4ths for starters. Too many clubs at that level.

One would have to hope CV now realises a restructure of cricket needs a top-down approach and must be inclusive of all stakeholders. If CV were to revisit a restructure without Premier Cricket being in the mix it will fail.

Great finish to the season by Brighton. 5/6 after Christmas. Does not make up for terrible start to season. 2's have beaten 1 & 3 since Christmas and playing finals. Rushworth has re committed and other recruits in the wind. Certainly looking for continued improvement next season. Think Oakleigh hard to beat but Ormond may surprise witn Hansen and Christie back in the 1's.

Tremendous performance by Croydon & Yarraville CC's on qualifying all four senior teams for the first time in their clubs history's.

Some incredible results in the First XI's over the weekend, 2nd, 3rd & 4th all losing in the SW group, and 2nd & 3rd losing in the NE and dropping to 4th and 5th respectively.

Only 5 First XI finalists from last year retain their place across the two sections from last year. Certainly opens up an exciting finals series.

As a club-appointed curator for 26 years, I welcome the recent publicity in respect to damage done to a VTCA pitch and congratulate the VTCA for offering a $5K reward for information leading to the perpetrator(s) being identified. This is the first time I can recall such action by a cricket ass'n. Details are given in the VTCA's home page. The club-appointed curator of the vandalised pitch is a good friend and is inclined to never again curate at that ground.

As a club-appointed curator for 26 years, I welcome the recent publicity in respect to damage done to a VTCA pitch and congratulate the VTCA for offering a $5K reward for information leading to the perpetrator(s) being identified. This is the first time I can recall such action by a cricket ass'n. Details are given in the VTCA's home page. The club-appointed curator of the vandalised pitch is a good friend and is inclined to never again curate at that ground.

Are you a curator?

Are you a curator?

I have only been a club-appointed curator (as distinct from being a Council employee curator), the reason being the two local municipalities out here, Brimbank and Maribyrnong do not prepare cricket pitches. All local clubs must find someone to prepare their pitches, the great majority being present or former cricketers often, but not always, connected with the club for whom they curate. Club-appointed curating is similar in concept to umpiring insofar as both are summer-season only activities and, for most curators and umpires, bears no relationship to what they do (or did prior to retirement), in their full-time jobs. Also, all clubs are burdened with the expense of providing, maintaining and replacing the curating equipment. I have had the misfortune of having pitches dug up late in the week as finals approach and can tell you it is a gut-wrenching experience.

Great effort by Yaraville to get 4 teams into the semi finals. Matthew Love and David Wolfe (and others I am sure) have done an amazing job to lift that club up the various ladders

Back