Subbies Thread

Well documented but what a turnaround from Ivanhoe in the offseason. And now to put the results on the board straight away is fantastic to see.

Believe the bat from EH is a Warwickshire junior county player.

Very hard to stop Thorne in subbies - if he doesn't get you with bat, he gets you with ball. He's clearly a level above and I'm amazed that he's not playing premier cricket somewhere. Caulfield look comfortably the team to beat in SE with Balwyn and Bayswater the likely next best with MW and Oakleigh not far behind.

Early tip for Val Holten would have to be Perera from Noble Park - his numbers are crazy so early on in the season!

Only thing to stop Perera from winning the Val is injury.

As for Thorne, Class act in subbies and does as he pleases but averaged 20 in premier cricket on a flat track in Geelong. I think it goes to show how big the gap is between subbies and premier cricket.

Harry Johnson from EH is a super player, unfortunate he has to apply his trade with them.

Great to see the turnaround from Ivanhoe.

Agreed that Caulfield is the team to beat but outside them, the South/East group is wide open and North/West is between 3 clubs in Willy, Brunswick and Plenty Valley.

Further to Piston Broke's post re scores of 300 plus being commonplace nowadays, I note the subbies require the covers to be laid tonight. The micro-management of the laying of covers these days is another factor in high scoring, as is the design of today's cricket bats.

What about your thoughts on the other side Allenkey?

Brunswick's to lose for mine

Brunswick just have too much across the board to say no to - both themselves and Caulfield are at about $1.50 to win the flag.

Further to Piston Broke's post re scores of 300 plus being commonplace nowadays, I note the subbies require the covers to be laid tonight. The micro-management of the laying of covers these days is another factor in high scoring, as is the design of today's cricket bats.

Subbies covers policy is good imo, and this weeks requirement to lay covers is spot on with 20-30mm likely to fall over the next 3 days. If it wasn't for this "micro-management", we may not be playing this weekend...

This was the directive:

Victorian Sub District Cricket Association - COVERING OF WICKETS

Please note with expected rain and possible thunderstorms forecast for Wednesday & Thursday, the Executive have declared that clubs are to cover wickets from Tuesday night, 14th November. As always consult your local council for advice.

We all know you don't like Subbies TC, but the constant negativity is getting boring.

This was the directive:

Victorian Sub District Cricket Association - COVERING OF WICKETS

Please note with expected rain and possible thunderstorms forecast for Wednesday & Thursday, the Executive have declared that clubs are to cover wickets from Tuesday night, 14th November. As always consult your local council for advice.

We all know you don't like Subbies TC, but the constant negativity is getting boring.
The rain is coming late tomorrow , so no need to go down tonight. The weather updates come at 4 30 pm and they can call the BOM to get updates. Curators would have heavily watered yesterday and today and would need time to work on decks Wednesday. Club would have to get covers off in the morning to allow work to take place as most council curators are not allowed to move covers. Nothing to do with negativity , but common sense.

Only thing to stop Perera from winning the Val is injury.

As for Thorne, Class act in subbies and does as he pleases but averaged 20 in premier cricket on a flat track in Geelong. I think it goes to show how big the gap is between subbies and premier cricket.

Harry Johnson from EH is a super player, unfortunate he has to apply his trade with them.

Great to see the turnaround from Ivanhoe.

Agreed that Caulfield is the team to beat but outside them, the South/East group is wide open and North/West is between 3 clubs in Willy, Brunswick and Plenty Valley.

Bit rough on Thorne. Has not played Premier for 5 years and is only 29. Have a look at his profile on cricket.com

Jake Thorne (28) is, quite simply, one of the best all-rounders playing sub-district cricket in Australia. Since his move from Victorian Premier Cricket in 2012/13, he has scored exactly 2,500 runs at 59.52 and taken 107 wickets at 17.16 in the Geelong Cricket Association (2013/14, 2014/15) and Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association (2015/16).

His journey though, started in District cricket, where he spent 8 years playing for Geelong. During this period, the all-rounder scored 3,318 runs at 26.98 and took 112 wickets at 22.81 across 156 matches, playing predominantly in the top flight.

After eight years for Geelong, he was presented a player/coach opportunity for North Geelong in 2013/14. He didn’t disappoint, guiding his side to the finals scoring 980 runs at 108.9 including four centuries alongside 31 wickets at 18.70.

During the season, Thorne gave up a golden opportunity to break a 65-year-old Geelong Cricket Association (GCA) A1 run-scoring record by declaring on 111, only 31-runs short of the long-standing record. His exploits were, quite rightly rewarded with the Jack Sing Medal and GCA Cricketer-of-The-Year.

By his own standards, Thorne under-performed in his second season, yet he still churned out 671 runs at 51.60 alongside 22 wickets at 21.10. Melbourne-based Thorne decided to move clubs in 2015/16, owing to the lengthy commute to Geelong. He joined subbies (VSDCA) club Caulfield and lived up to his reputation scoring 701 runs at 41.24 and taking 50 wickets at 15.18 to finish second and top of the associations run and wicket charts.

In doing so, Thorne won the Val Holten Medal as Sub-District cricket’s best and fairest player. Thorne became only the third Caulfield player to receive the medal, after Lenny Petersen in 1978-79 (when it was called the EG Goss Trophy) and David Jakobi in 1997-98 (when it was the RM Hatch Trophy).

“Great performance,’’ Caulfield director of cricket Shaun Richardson said of Thorne.

“He’s a real competitor, a ruthless sort of competitor, and a very talented player. He actually broke his hand playing footy so he had a delayed start to the season. He didn’t really hold a bat properly until the third week of September. He was touch and go to play in Round 1, so no doubt it hampered his early-season form. But he’s got some confidence back in his wrist and in his game and away he went.’’

Thorne, who is set to play for Caulfield once again in 2016/17, has decided to embark on another UK stint in 2017. Unsurprisingly, Thorne has starred in league cricket previously, with run and wicket-filled stints with Messingham (2007), Meltham (2009), St. Michaels (2010) and two with Pyrford (2011, 2014).

He was a stand-out for the “Pears” in the Surrey Championship during his first stint, but he took these performances to a different level on his return in 2014. Despite successive fifties (86, 71), it was a relatively slow start to the Surrey Championship (Division 3) season averaging 29.67 after 6 matches. However, from mid-June onwards, the runs returned in bagful’s. His next 11 innings included scores of 107*, 59, 17, 68*, 66, 54, 92*, 72*, 90*, 17 and 142* (784 runs at 156.80) which saw the Victorian finish top of the Championship (all divisions) run charts with 962 runs at 96.20.

He also topped the division wicket tally with 40 poles at 16.47 including best bowling figures of 7-67. He had previously topped the Championship Division 1 run charts with 3 centuries amongst 748 runs at 46.75 back in 2011, alongside 36 wickets at 20.78 to finish near the top of the wicket tally too.

Thorne has been an outstanding player, both home and abroad over the past decade. Not only is he a fantastic performer on the field, but is someone that has a massive impact off it, through coaching and club integration. He, without doubt, represents one of the best overseas options on the market for season 2017.

I imagine he would be successful at Premier level.And probably favourite for Holten.

Bit rough on Thorne. Has not played Premier for 5 years and is only 29. Have a look at his profile on cricket.com

Jake Thorne (28) is, quite simply, one of the best all-rounders playing sub-district cricket in Australia. Since his move from Victorian Premier Cricket in 2012/13, he has scored exactly 2,500 runs at 59.52 and taken 107 wickets at 17.16 in the Geelong Cricket Association (2013/14, 2014/15) and Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association (2015/16).

His journey though, started in District cricket, where he spent 8 years playing for Geelong. During this period, the all-rounder scored 3,318 runs at 26.98 and took 112 wickets at 22.81 across 156 matches, playing predominantly in the top flight.

After eight years for Geelong, he was presented a player/coach opportunity for North Geelong in 2013/14. He didn’t disappoint, guiding his side to the finals scoring 980 runs at 108.9 including four centuries alongside 31 wickets at 18.70.

During the season, Thorne gave up a golden opportunity to break a 65-year-old Geelong Cricket Association (GCA) A1 run-scoring record by declaring on 111, only 31-runs short of the long-standing record. His exploits were, quite rightly rewarded with the Jack Sing Medal and GCA Cricketer-of-The-Year.

By his own standards, Thorne under-performed in his second season, yet he still churned out 671 runs at 51.60 alongside 22 wickets at 21.10. Melbourne-based Thorne decided to move clubs in 2015/16, owing to the lengthy commute to Geelong. He joined subbies (VSDCA) club Caulfield and lived up to his reputation scoring 701 runs at 41.24 and taking 50 wickets at 15.18 to finish second and top of the associations run and wicket charts.

In doing so, Thorne won the Val Holten Medal as Sub-District cricket’s best and fairest player. Thorne became only the third Caulfield player to receive the medal, after Lenny Petersen in 1978-79 (when it was called the EG Goss Trophy) and David Jakobi in 1997-98 (when it was the RM Hatch Trophy).

“Great performance,’’ Caulfield director of cricket Shaun Richardson said of Thorne.

“He’s a real competitor, a ruthless sort of competitor, and a very talented player. He actually broke his hand playing footy so he had a delayed start to the season. He didn’t really hold a bat properly until the third week of September. He was touch and go to play in Round 1, so no doubt it hampered his early-season form. But he’s got some confidence back in his wrist and in his game and away he went.’’

Thorne, who is set to play for Caulfield once again in 2016/17, has decided to embark on another UK stint in 2017. Unsurprisingly, Thorne has starred in league cricket previously, with run and wicket-filled stints with Messingham (2007), Meltham (2009), St. Michaels (2010) and two with Pyrford (2011, 2014).

He was a stand-out for the “Pears” in the Surrey Championship during his first stint, but he took these performances to a different level on his return in 2014. Despite successive fifties (86, 71), it was a relatively slow start to the Surrey Championship (Division 3) season averaging 29.67 after 6 matches. However, from mid-June onwards, the runs returned in bagful’s. His next 11 innings included scores of 107*, 59, 17, 68*, 66, 54, 92*, 72*, 90*, 17 and 142* (784 runs at 156.80) which saw the Victorian finish top of the Championship (all divisions) run charts with 962 runs at 96.20.

He also topped the division wicket tally with 40 poles at 16.47 including best bowling figures of 7-67. He had previously topped the Championship Division 1 run charts with 3 centuries amongst 748 runs at 46.75 back in 2011, alongside 36 wickets at 20.78 to finish near the top of the wicket tally too.

Thorne has been an outstanding player, both home and abroad over the past decade. Not only is he a fantastic performer on the field, but is someone that has a massive impact off it, through coaching and club integration. He, without doubt, represents one of the best overseas options on the market for season 2017.

I imagine he would be successful at Premier level.And probably favourite for Holten.
Fantastic post, well done

Brunswick just have too much across the board to say no to - both themselves and Caulfield are at about $1.50 to win the flag.

Subbies covers policy is good imo, and this weeks requirement to lay covers is spot on with 20-30mm likely to fall over the next 3 days. If it wasn't for this "micro-management", we may not be playing this weekend...

Just to make it clear, I am not critical of the micro-management per se. As a voluntary curator working on my own, I rely on the club to manage the laying and removal of the full-size cover. I would like to have had it installed later today, ie prior to the predicted rain, so as to get some work done on the pitch this morning, but as it was laid last night and there will be no-one from the club around till Thursday evening, I am stymied on doing any work on the pitch till Friday. It is my understanding a major concern of Councils in respect to prolonged covering of grass is it prevents photosynthesis thereby weakening it, in consequence encouraging pathogens, particularly fungi. Grass is, after all, a living organanism. How well would you fare if you were put under a cricket cover for several days being denied sustenance and sunlight!

Just to make it clear, I am not critical of the micro-management per se. As a voluntary curator working on my own, I rely on the club to manage the laying and removal of the full-size cover. I would like to have had it installed later today, ie prior to the predicted rain, so as to get some work done on the pitch this morning, but as it was laid last night and there will be no-one from the club around till Thursday evening, I am stymied on doing any work on the pitch till Friday. It is my understanding a major concern of Councils in respect to prolonged covering of grass is it prevents photosynthesis thereby weakening it, in consequence encouraging pathogens, particularly fungi. Grass is, after all, a living organanism. How well would you fare if you were put under a cricket cover for several days being denied sustenance and sunlight!

as you are working on your own, would you only move the full size cover to where the pitch currently is to allow for work to be done or would you need to remove the square in it's entirety?

I think you've indirectly hit the nail on the head, we play sub-district cricket and rely on voluntary curators/councils to get pitches up week in week out and imo people like yourself do a great job. Unfortunately covers cant be taken off and on (particularly the full square ones) as easily as can be done at the premier level. One to two volunteers or council members are not going to be able to remove the big cover then likely small one underneath just to be able to work on the pitch for 1-2 hours a day. It is what it is.

as you are working on your own, would you only move the full size cover to where the pitch currently is to allow for work to be done or would you need to remove the square in it's entirety?

The club also has a one-pitch cover which would protect the pitch from all but late-in-the week rain and is not so heavy and unweildy as to prevent me from handling it. I could have done a lot of work on the pitch today if it had been laid last night. Rain on the remainder of the table as late as Thursday would not prevent play on Saturday and do the grass the world of good. Nothing like the real stuff! An alternative would have been the club being asked to lay the one -pitch cover last night and the full-pitch cover before today's rain.

The club also has a one-pitch cover which would protect the pitch from all but late-in-the week rain and is not so heavy and unweildy as to prevent me from handling it. I could have done a lot of work on the pitch today if it had been laid last night. Rain on the remainder of the table as late as Thursday would not prevent play on Saturday and do the grass the world of good. Nothing like the real stuff! An alternative would have been the club being asked to lay the one -pitch cover last night and the full-pitch cover before today's rain.
Well said , it was a dumb decision and a waste of a days work.

Who would make that decision , because now after 3 days and nights of covers will cause damage.
Interestingly, the 2nd para of Ken Hilton's advice reads ''Please make sure that you liaise closely with your Councils and Curators so that arrangements are in place to remove covers to enable pitch preparation to continue (subject to weather conditions)''.
I interpret this to mean curators will be entrusted to exercise their judgement on the question of the handling of the covers at their tables so as to allow, if possible, resumption of pitch preparation. A commonsense arrangement imo.

I think you've indirectly hit the nail on the head, we play sub-district cricket and rely on voluntary curators/councils to get pitches up week in week out and imo people like yourself do a great job. Unfortunately covers cant be taken off and on (particularly the full square ones) as easily as can be done at the premier level. One to two volunteers or council members are not going to be able to remove the big cover then likely small one underneath just to be able to work on the pitch for 1-2 hours a day. It is what it is.

Excellent suggestion to put the one-pitch cover under the full-size cover when the table must be covered as from Tuesday or Wednesday. I am not allowed to handle the large cover on my own due to Council's concern that, if I am injured in doing so, it could be vicariously liable. However, on a calm day and if the full-size cover is not laden with water, I may be able to fold it back to the extent needed to permit me to remove the one-pitch cover without putting myself at risk of injury. I will discuss this with the club. However, I do recall when I was a mature-age student in the early 2000's at NMIT my tutor, John Shannon, told my class the most common cause of injury sustained by cricket pitch curators is due to them single-handedly attempting to handle a full-size cover on their own.

You are absolute disgrace Hobsons Bay City Council for failing to put down the covers at all also didn't even touch the wickets & also it failed to prepare the wicket at both Frank Kirk Oval & JK Grant Reserve in Altona for the second week of the round 4 encounter between Altona & my lot (Hoppers Crossing) which is under official protest from Hoppers Crossing & also in dispute in both the 1st XI & 3rd XI.

As that our fixture yesterday was washed out in the 2nd week in very very controversial circumstances after that when VSDCA wet weather committee told them to put down the covers and do so from Tuesday Night as that our (Hoppers Crossing) 1st XI captain/coach was absolutely furious on arrival at the ground at the state of the wicket at Frank Kirk Oval as was our club president is actually very very confident we'll win the hearing when that happens thus possibly stripping Altona of three competition points (1st XI & 3rd XI) and thus Hoppers Crossing gain an extra three points (1st XI & 3rd XI).

You are absolute disgrace Hobsons Bay City Council for failing to put down the covers at all also didn't even touch the wickets & also it failed to prepare the wicket at both Frank Kirk Oval & JK Grant Reserve in Altona for the second week of the round 4 encounter between Altona & my lot (Hoppers Crossing) which is under official protest from Hoppers Crossing & also in dispute in both the 1st XI & 3rd XI.

As that our fixture yesterday was washed out in the 2nd week in very very controversial circumstances after that when VSDCA wet weather committee told them to put down the covers and do so from Tuesday Night as that our (Hoppers Crossing) 1st XI captain/coach was absolutely furious on arrival at the ground at the state of the wicket at Frank Kirk Oval as was our club president is actually very very confident we'll win the hearing when that happens thus possibly stripping Altona of three competition points (1st XI & 3rd XI) and thus Hoppers Crossing gain an extra three points (1st XI & 3rd XI).

I am aware a number of municipal councils are unhappy with the association's instruction on full-size covers to be laid as early as a Tuesday, and this is the second time already this season it has been demanded (is that too strong an adjective given the municipal councils are the owners of the grounds ?). I think a sensible compromise is for clubs to all have a one pitch cover and take responsibility for laying it if the association asks for the pitch to be covered any earlier than a Thursday. I worked on my pitch until darkness on Friday evening, but I am a voluntary curator. In contrast, Council prepared pitches are prepared by employees subject to industrial awards and, therefore, there is not the same flexibility in working hours. Is it realistic to expect municipal councils to prepare pitches if the pitch cover has continuously been in place due to adverse weather from Tuesday till Friday afternoon (as was the case at my pitch there having been a thunderstorm Friday am). Pls keep us posted on developments.

This is the issue, we all want to play as much cricket as possible but its being realistic, asking guys to lay covers by 4pm on a Wednesday during working hours, its hard enough getting 21yo's to put covers down on a friday!

Back