Subbies Thread

Due to the forecast of heavy rain over the next 2-3 days,

all games scheduled for Saturday December 2 and Sunday December 3 have been cancelled.

This includes the VSDCA Representative Game v VCCL scheduled for Sunday December 3.

Councils have requested clubs to remove covers from wicket tables at soon as possible.

In situations like this, what are people thoughts on re-fixturing where the 2nd week gets washed out, replacing a 2-day game with 2 one day games to get more results in a season?

A few teams unlucky to miss out on 6 points.

Why do covers have to be removed

Extended covering of grass prevents photosynthesis. The leaf, being the food supply of the plant, will soon show stress by losing colour. The plant may also be subject to excessive heat under the cover, the leaf being singed as a consequence (as happened on my table last week). Also, the cover prevents rainfall entering the profile and this can have the effect of the plant wilting and possibly dying, particularly if the table has a cool-season grass cover. Plants weakened by lack of photosynthesis and moisture in the soil are much more susceptible to be invaded by pathogens, particularly fungi. Fungi enters the cells of the plant and kills the invaded plant. I speak from personal experience. So, the sooner the cover is removed the better for the well-being of the grass. Hope this info is helpful.

Round 2 of the T20 comp on Tuesday will probably cause some complications with removing the covers too early over the weekend I'd expect. Speak to your council or curator first before taking action.
Some fair points above, but I suspect no one is too keen on trying to roll a deck on Monday with the table still under 15cms of water.

Round 2 of the T20 comp on Tuesday will probably cause some complications with removing the covers too early over the weekend I'd expect. Speak to your council or curator first before taking action.
Some fair points above, but I suspect no one is too keen on trying to roll a deck on Monday with the table still under 15cms of water.

We shall have to hope the 60% chance of rain on Monday does not eventuate. Pray as suggested by CSB!!

In situations like this, what are people thoughts on re-fixturing where the 2nd week gets washed out, replacing a 2-day game with 2 one day games to get more results in a season?

A few teams unlucky to miss out on 6 points.

Not the best idea to be honest
Would need to fixture on a Sunday and it's shown that most players don't want to play on Sunday's. Lets just say we play seven 2day games a season, while doing the fixture, you would need to reserve 7 Sunday's to ensure that what you have suggested takes place!! It would be a logistical nightmare.
In the end, it's terribly unlucky that teams have missed out on 6 points.
I wonder how many teams from the round before missed out on 6 points from the storms that hit after tea and if those same teams were in winning or losing positions this time around.
It just a case of bad/good luck IMO.

Not the best idea to be honest
Would need to fixture on a Sunday and it's shown that most players don't want to play on Sunday's. Lets just say we play seven 2day games a season, while doing the fixture, you would need to reserve 7 Sunday's to ensure that what you have suggested takes place!! It would be a logistical nightmare.
In the end, it's terribly unlucky that teams have missed out on 6 points.
I wonder how many teams from the round before missed out on 6 points from the storms that hit after tea and if those same teams were in winning or losing positions this time around.
It just a case of bad/good luck IMO.

I was coming more from the other way - which is rescheduling a 2 day game into 2- one-day games on a Saturday. I guess ground availability creates issues. Just a thought. Some teams may have been in winning positions 2 games in a row, might have walked away with half points. Malvern is probably the biggest loser from this.

Like you said, just stiff luck.

I am aware a number of municipal councils are unhappy with the association's instruction on full-size covers to be laid as early as a Tuesday, and this is the second time already this season it has been demanded (is that too strong an adjective given the municipal councils are the owners of the grounds ?). I think a sensible compromise is for clubs to all have a one pitch cover and take responsibility for laying it if the association asks for the pitch to be covered any earlier than a Thursday. I worked on my pitch until darkness on Friday evening, but I am a voluntary curator. In contrast, Council prepared pitches are prepared by employees subject to industrial awards and, therefore, there is not the same flexibility in working hours. Is it realistic to expect municipal councils to prepare pitches if the pitch cover has continuously been in place due to adverse weather from Tuesday till Friday afternoon (as was the case at my pitch there having been a thunderstorm Friday am). Pls keep us posted on developments.

UPDATE: hearing heard on Monday Night (Monday December 11th).

VSDCA North/West Group 1st XI (round 6 results):
Hoppers Crossing 9/173 defeated Coburg 10/170
Plenty Valley 6/235 (cc) defeated Brunswick 10/118
St Bernard's 10/150 lost to Taylors Lakes 10/176
Ivanhoe 10/186 drew Werribee 9/186
Williamstown 6/320 (cc) defeated Preston 10/182
Yarraville 10/184 lost to Melton 10/201
Altona 9/237 (cc) lost to Kew 3/240

VSDCA North/West group 1st XI ladder (if Hoppers Crossing lose Monday Night’s tribunal hearing):
1 Williamstown 30
2 Plenty Valley 27
3 Melton 27
4 Brunswick 27
5 Ivanhoe 21
6 Kew 21
7 Altona 18
8 Hoppers Crossing 18
9 Preston 18
10 Taylors Lakes 12
11 Yarraville 12
12 St Bernard’s 9
13 Werribee 6
14 Coburg 6

VSDCA North/West group 1st XI ladder (if Hoppers Crossing win Monday Night’s tribunal hearing):
1 Williamstown 30
2 Plenty Valley 27
3 Melton 27
4 Brunswick 27
5 Ivanhoe 21
6 Kew 21
7 Hoppers Crossing 21
8 Preston 18
9 Altona 15
10 Taylors Lakes 12
11 Yarraville 12
12 St Bernard’s 9
13 Werribee 6
14 Coburg 6

Round 7 schedule – Saturday December 16th (12.30pm start 45 overs per side):
Preston v Plenty Valley
Melton v Williamstown
Brunswick v St Bernard’s
Taylors Lakes v Ivanhoe
Werribee v Altona
Kew v Hoppers Crossing
Coburg v Yarraville

Last edited:
BREAKING NEWS - VSDCA Tribunal outcome (Altona v Hoppers Crossing) in relation to Altona/Hobsons Bay City Council not putting down the covers & not even preparing a wicket - Saturday November 18th,

Unfortunately after the meeting tonight with VSDCA Tribunal our protest versus Altona was dismissed.

I am incredibly disappointed and pissed off with this decision particularly after it what occurred at our ground a couple of years ago against Malvern in the 2nd XI in November 2015 at Hogans Road Reserve.

I do feel a lack of responsibility here but don’t feel as though we could of had any stronger of an argument then what we provided.

Will be happy to talk further to this on Thursday Night after training.

In the interim I sincerely hope we absolutely flog them tomorrow in the T20 tomorrow night.

Let’s ultimately be the bigger club, and avoid referencing back to it either at the ground tomorrow or via social media (again, I will elaborate the social media aspect on Thursday Night).

Apologises that I couldn’t have better news.

Cheers (Jake Porter - Hoppers Crossing Cricket Club president).

Thank you, Brenton, for so promptly posting the outcome of the hearing. If you feel so inclined, and I will understand if you do not, I would be particularly interested to know if the hearing clarified which party was responsible for the laying of the cover.

A timely reminder of exercising care managing covers in windy conditions was evident for all to see at the WACA on day 5. It was reported in yesterday's H/S that curator Matt Page was sent to hospital with concussion after wind lifted a tarpaulin and knocked him over.
On another topic, it was not so long ago RPBroady hosted a subbies finals match, yet, it fofeited in at least 2 of its teams in the final round in the VTCA before the the Christmas break and possibly in its one-day Sunday team as well, there being no results to date posted for that match. It must surely be concerning for the likes of Mitch Streiff and his dad, and others, to see their former club in such decline. I have no idea of the cause. I hope it can be saved from oblivion.

Back