Subbies Thread

Agree with this. Would be a huge call to change the makeup of the top six as a result of this decision. Top six to stay as is for me

Probably the only issue is whether or not Box Hill complied with the subbies directions on the covering of pitches. Were there any directions that week? Precedent would suggest zero tolerance for failure to comply.

Probably the only issue is whether or not Box Hill complied with the subbies directions on the covering of pitches. Were there any directions that week? Precedent would suggest zero tolerance for failure to comply.

Doesn't appear to be any direction from subbies that week regarding covers which one would assume means a watch and act/optional approach? There was certainly some rain forecast/around in the lead up to day 2 of round 12 so having the covers on wasn't out of question. I think most clubs would have had the covers on for the Friday night. Some of the quotes in Paul Amy's article from Duckworth are concerning for Box Hill:

“From the second ball onwards, he (Pearson) never looked comfortable, they had to get sawdust out there straight away, he could hardly stand up — it wasn’t a pretty sight,” Duckworth said.
A Women’s Premier fixture was played on the Sunday and a Melbourne Country Week fixture was played on the Tuesday in between days one and two.
Both games were approved by Sub-District Cricket’s association.
A total of 818 runs were made in both games.
“Over 1025 runs were made in five innings from Saturday through to Tuesday and we get on it and it was nothing like it was the week before,” Duckworth said.

Sounds like some additional rainfall in Box Hill Friday evening to me... I guess we will know in a few hours time what the dealio is!

Doesn't appear to be any direction from subbies that week regarding covers which one would assume means a watch and act/optional approach? There was certainly some rain forecast/around in the lead up to day 2 of round 12 so having the covers on wasn't out of question. I think most clubs would have had the covers on for the Friday night. Some of the quotes in Paul Amy's article from Duckworth are concerning for Box Hill:

“From the second ball onwards, he (Pearson) never looked comfortable, they had to get sawdust out there straight away, he could hardly stand up — it wasn’t a pretty sight,” Duckworth said.
A Women’s Premier fixture was played on the Sunday and a Melbourne Country Week fixture was played on the Tuesday in between days one and two.
Both games were approved by Sub-District Cricket’s association.
A total of 818 runs were made in both games.
“Over 1025 runs were made in five innings from Saturday through to Tuesday and we get on it and it was nothing like it was the week before,” Duckworth said.

Sounds like some additional rainfall in Box Hill Friday evening to me... I guess we will know in a few hours time what the dealio is!

We will find out soon enough. Balwyn you would presume would be asking for their score on the 2nd day to be wiped and that would lift their % above Brighton and push them into 6th and Box Hill would fall to 8th if they win the appeal.

We will find out soon enough. Balwyn you would presume would be asking for their score on the 2nd day to be wiped and that would lift their % above Brighton and push them into 6th and Box Hill would fall to 8th if they win the appeal.

Would think that would be the only reason they are protesting. Getting very messy. If I were Brighton and this was the outcome, I'd be appealing the appeal!!

Balwyn did not win the appeal at the hearing tonight.

Committee agreed that Box Hill did nothing wrong and it was a result of communication between club and curator.

Box Hill finish 6th and play Caulfield.

Just a note, if a deck has 4 innings played on it before the next inning, and with no great amount of rain around, you would assume the deck to be the same as it played on the Tuesday.

Good luck to all teams playing in their respective finals, it’s been a great year and the finals will be no different.

Committee agreed that Box Hill did nothing wrong and it was a result of communication between club and curator.

Just a note, if a deck has 4 innings played on it before the next inning, and with no great amount of rain around, you would assume the deck to be the same as it played on the Tuesday.

Good luck to all teams playing in their respective finals, it’s been a great year and the finals will be no different.

Not a huge surprise that the protest was dismissed, think that as soon Balwyn took the field on day 2 with the umpires support, the chance of a successful protest was over. Would be interesting to see how the protest would have gone if you had refused to play. Maybe a club will do that next time the deck looks too soft but the umpires think it's fine. As for dew causing it to be that soft, wouldn't have thought so. We got a fair amount of rain on the Thursday and reckon that would be more likely. Reading between the lines I don't think Balwyn thought it was dew either.

Not a huge surprise that the protest was dismissed, think that as soon Balwyn took the field on day 2 with the umpires support, the chance of a successful protest was over. Would be interesting to see how the protest would have gone if you had refused to play. Maybe a club will do that next time the deck looks too soft but the umpires think it's fine. As for dew causing it to be that soft, wouldn't have thought so. We got a fair amount of rain on the Thursday and reckon that would be more likely. Reading between the lines I don't think Balwyn thought it was dew either.

Hardly a drop of rain in that area on the Thursday which was shown on the state of the pitch at Gordon Barnard Reserve and Schramms Reserve which were used as examples in last nights hearing due to their close proximity to one another. The only problem with referencing schramms reserve was they commented on day one of the game and not day two. Day one yielded 294 runs at Schramms and 208 at Box Hill.

Both pitches at Gordon Barnard and Schramms were of a hard nature yet pitch at Box Hill City oval was soft with respect to day 2.

Make of that as you will knowing that the pitch was hard as a rock on Tuesday for the country week game and only 0.6mm of rain falling on Thursday and Friday.

Box Hill lost 8-72 after being 2-136 with 26 overs to play. If they play on the wicket that Balwyn had to bat on, they don't make more than 50.

Fair amount of rain ! 2 mil at the most.

What exactly was the communication between the club and the curator , and what relevance was it in any event given rainfall was negligible? If you can throw further light on this it would be appreciated. It is clear from recent posts there is scepticism the pitch was so wet due to rainfall.

What exactly was the communication between the club and the curator , and what relevance was it in any event given rainfall was negligible? If you can throw further light on this it would be appreciated. It is clear from recent posts there is scepticism the pitch was so wet due to rainfall.

Covers laid Thursday night
Covers taken off early Friday morning for a roll - Put back on at 10:30 due to rain being around
Covers not taken off until 11:45 on Saturday
according to BOM - 0.6mm of rain recorded in that area between Thursday and Friday.

Covers laid Thursday night
Covers taken off early Friday morning for a roll - Put back on at 10:30 due to rain being around
Covers not taken off until 11:45 on Saturday
according to BOM - 0.6mm of rain recorded in that area between Thursday and Friday.

If the covers were on for 24 hours, with or without hessian, the wicket would sweat significantly. It must have been drizzling all morning for them to be down until 11.45am.

If the covers were on for 24 hours, with or without hessian, the wicket would sweat significantly. It must have been drizzling all morning for them to be down until 11.45am.

Didn't rain until 1:20pm on Saturday.
Pitch was only used 3 days before on the Tuesday and was said to be rock hard
ground was very dry at 11:30 when Balwyn players arrived

result from game at Box Hill oval last year against Bayswater after Box Hill batted first
http://www.vsdca.vic.cricket.com.au/common/pages/public/rv/match.aspx?locx=MATCH&matchID=2333795

Didn't rain until 1:20pm on Saturday.
Pitch was only used 3 days before on the Tuesday and was said to be rock hard
ground was very dry at 11:30 when Balwyn players arrived

result from game at Box Hill oval last year against Bayswater after Box Hill batted first
http://www.vsdca.vic.cricket.com.au/common/pages/public/rv/match.aspx?locx=MATCH&matchID=2333795

Perhaps the curator decided the pitch needed to be hand-watered at some point following Tuesday's match and left the decision too late given the need for the covers to be laid due to uncertain weather forecast in the day or two leading up to Saturday. Wouldn't be the first time a curator, with the best of intentions, has been caught out in this way.

Perhaps the curator decided the pitch needed to be hand-watered at some point following Tuesday's match and left the decision too late given the need for the covers to be laid due to uncertain weather forecast in the day or two leading up to Saturday. Wouldn't be the first time a curator, with the best of intentions, has been caught out in this way.

I agree with you on this.

Just seems strange that the curator would elect to do this knowing what the forecast was for Friday and Saturday. From memory, the forecast was for 5-15mm of rain for Friday and the 5-10mm for Saturday.

If he hand water's the deck on Wednesday morning, you would assume the pitch to dry out considerably with the weather reaching in the mid 30's on Wednesday and the same for Thursday with no need for covers to be placed until late Thursday night.

It's just unfortunate that Balwyn were not provided the same conditions that Box Hill were provided with the week before and when taking into account all of the facts, the same conditions from week one should have been provided.

It is quite interesting to see the social media noise surrounding this particular event and the fact they are saying it has happened before (Bayswater game last year)

This is in sharp contrast to all the articles I've read about how PV are going to be attacking and how they've got guys pushing up from the 2s,I think you're being a bit naughty here,reverse psychology?
Be interesting to see when the sides are published unless you want to name names now?

Back