Subbies Thread

The fact school term holidays coincide with the time when the initial pitch preparation should be underway may have a lot to do with it. I have heard a lot of recreational turf staff are allowed holidays at this time. Over this side of town many Councils do not prepare pitches and it is a challenge for clubs to get people to fit in curating outside of the time they must spend at their 'day job'. And the missus saying you are always at that bloody cricket club--when are you going to cut our lawns, they haven't been touched in a month!
Waste of a post , absolute crap, as they are playing over there.

Waste of a post , absolute crap, as they are playing over there.

Are you certain the fact school term holidays coincide with the time curators should be engaging in pitch preparation in areas where councils prepare pitches is not a reason why so many councils say the pitches will not be available?
I was not referring specifically to the subbies over here. I have been advised that most, if not all of the VTCA competition will not get underway. It is that competition that heavily relies on voluntary curators. It is less so for subbies clubs. Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Some fair outs for the teams that have been loaded, Sam Jones (Fitzroy-Doncaster) is a big out for Oakleigh. Warren, Denny, and King not named for Caulfield. Anyone got any mail on those guys?

Some fair outs for the teams that have been loaded, Sam Jones (Fitzroy-Doncaster) is a big out for Oakleigh. Warren, Denny, and King not named for Caulfield. Anyone got any mail on those guys?
Fantastic to see Jones at FD and captaining the 2nd XI but a big loss for Oakleigh. McGuiness will need to make 600-700 runs for them to be a threat this year.
Warren has been around a while and in the back end of his career is he not, maybe he retired? Have not heard anything on the other two

Anyone unsure as to why Endeavour want to stay in Subbies, have a look at the line ups for Springvale South vs Berwick this weekend. The DDCA is a nightmare for those at CV trying to push for the regional program, imagine trying to sell points cap to these clubs!

Selected Team
S Spoljaric
MG Vandort
+NR Villella
JL Straker
AH Staude
*C Slocombe
TM Ford
NA King
MD Wetering
JL Armitage
M Bandara
Selected Team
*MF Chasemore
MJ Robertson
IC Jassal
+NS Pilon
JD Holden
DJ de Souza
JJ Bartlett
CJ Bevan
J Cleland
BA Rose
WN Carr

Sort of get what you're saying, but post the Caulfield/Brunswick/Plenty Valley teams, every comp has a few gun sides.
FYI Berwick missed finals last year with a better team!

Main point was regarding Endeavour, one years wages for either Berwick or Springvale South would run Endeavour for 10 years, they simply could't compete in that comp.

Of Caulfied/Brunswick/PV, only Rummans has a CV that would demand a spot in either of those two sides. Even someone like Thorne, who is a Subbies star, has modestly performed at Premier level compared to many of those other names.

Main point was regarding Endeavour, one years wages for either Berwick or Springvale South would run Endeavour for 10 years, they simply could't compete in that comp.

Of Caulfied/Brunswick/PV, only Rummans has a CV that would demand a spot in either of those two sides. Even someone like Thorne, who is a Subbies star, has modestly performed at Premier level compared to many of those other names.

Rummans and Lampard only A graders, PV regularly target 2nd eleven players to try and buy success, Brunswick have followed suit - stinky cultures at both places, especially PV

The final para of your post #3377 on p 169 reads: "As Westy says, that still leaves a gap between those clubs that have the money and the inclination to "buy" flags and the rest for which there is no practical solution other than to sift those clubs out and put them in their own competition. Take the usual suspects out of the subbies, join them up with your South Caulfield's, your Doutta's, your Yarraville Club's, your Buckley Ridges', your Mordi's. take off the points cap and salary cap and let them spend as much as they want."
The conclusion I have made is that the subbies model cannot satisfactorily cope with with the changes that have taken place, particularly as regards to player payments, and the points system system has not proven to be effective in overcoming the issue. It would be totally unrealistic to, say, lower the points cap to 16 as this would result in an unacceptable lowering of the whole standard of the competition. I think the existing figure of 20 is about as low as it is practical to go.
I regret to say I have come to the conclusion regionalisation is the way forward.

The final para of your post #3377 on p 169 reads: "As Westy says, that still leaves a gap between those clubs that have the money and the inclination to "buy" flags and the rest for which there is no practical solution other than to sift those clubs out and put them in their own competition. Take the usual suspects out of the subbies, join them up with your South Caulfield's, your Doutta's, your Yarraville Club's, your Buckley Ridges', your Mordi's. take off the points cap and salary cap and let them spend as much as they want."
The conclusion I have made is that the subbies model cannot satisfactorily cope with with the changes that have taken place, particularly as regards to player payments, and the points system system has not proven to be effective in overcoming the issue. It would be totally unrealistic to, say, lower the points cap to 16 as this would result in an unacceptable lowering of the whole standard of the competition. I think the existing figure of 20 is about as low as it is practical to go.
I regret to say I have come to the conclusion regionalisation is the way forward.

But Westy, in the case of Endeavour, and there would be others, regionalisation is a terrible outcome. I think the creation of an upper echelon "Super League" (think VTCA Senior but across all of Melbourne) which provides the vehicle for the cashed up clubs to operate on an unrestricted basis in a way that is not to the detriment of other participants. Clubs would be able to opt out of a "super league" at any time. Endeavour have a clear appetite to work their way back into VSDCA competitiveness which they clearly favour ahead of potentially going out existence in the DDCA which is too rougher jungle for them to survive in. I think the solution with the best chance is the Subbies model of N/W/S/E plus a Super League that is Melbourne wide. CV's desire to have the DDCA become a stand alone part of the 4 regions is killing this from happening. Take the VTCA and VSDCA, add them to CSB + 3 new regions, distribute geographically, and retain Senior Div under expressions of interest, leave the DDCA to do their own thing and it might just get support from everyone, just my opinion.

Just noticed that Avalon AirportOval[Chirnside Park] are hosting an AFL practice match on Saturday March2nd.
This coincides with Werribee 2nd X!'s game against Oakleigh,same time,same date.
I wouldn't mind betting the council have ordered Werribee off at the request of the mighty AFL.
It would also mean the pampered Afl players would be on a surface with fresh cricket wickets across the centre,heaven forbid,that would also spell the end of any cricket finals at Chirnside if and when Werribee make it.This doesn't bode well for other clubs battling football's creep into our territory.
Hopefully there's a logical explanation coming.

I beg to differ - not all of these lads in the DDCA are superstars and the 3 subbies clubs you mentioned would have half a dozen players that could play in those sides

Back