Subbies Thread

In the S/W,some terrific games,the closest could be Oakleigh v Willy,maybe Oakleigh in a tight one but Willy have a really good finals record and would probably fancy their chances of causing an upset.
Caulfield should comfortly account for Elsternwick who rely too heavily on Christiansen to make their runs,probably the shortest priced team in years for the flag and Thorne signed for a further 3 seasons.
Werribee although having to play at Melton should win,the Lions have struggled to make 200 until last week with the amazing Butch Gale getting his 16th ton.
I'm not privy to the reasons why Chirnside was unable to be bought back but if it costs Werribee a flag i'd be livid with those responsible.
Good luck to all,maybe RTG or Dougie could review the N/E?

In the S/W,some terrific games,the closest could be Oakleigh v Willy,maybe Oakleigh in a tight one but Willy have a really good finals record and would probably fancy their chances of causing an upset.
Caulfield should comfortly account for Elsternwick who rely too heavily on Christiansen to make their runs,probably the shortest priced team in years for the flag and Thorne signed for a further 3 seasons.
Werribee although having to play at Melton should win,the Lions have struggled to make 200 until last week with the amazing Butch Gale getting his 16th ton.
I'm not privy to the reasons why Chirnside was unable to be bought back but if it costs Werribee a flag i'd be livid with those responsible.

Sorry, I am more S than E so can't shine too much light on the N/E series. Agree the title is Caulfield's to lose, and also agree that Oakleigh vs Willi is toss of the coin. Oaks at Warrawee are very hard to beat but their line up is honest these days rather than star studded so they are gettable. Good luck to all teams.

Werribee lost the finals because of the JLT practice AFL games on it. They agreed with Altona to use their wicket but the competition said no and you have to play at Melton. Werribee livid

Werribee lost the finals because of the JLT practice AFL games on it. They agreed with Altona to use their wicket but the competition said no and you have to play at Melton. Werribee livid

I seem to recall being told by a Werribbee official about a month or so ago that plans are afoot for it to be relocated permanently to another Reserve. Can anyone advise further on this matter?

i wish you better luck for your footy tipping

Big weekend of upsets. Feel a bit sorry for Werribee if they had no control over the JLT debacle. Don't think Caulfield will put in back to back shockers, Melton get the home ground advantage again, Melton vs Caulfield GF at Melton. Who would have thought that 2 weeks ago!

Is there any goss on the Strathmore issue such as is another club being sought to provide an even number of clubs in the event they are admitted or, alternatively, one of the existing clubs dropping out?

It's not that far for the eastern suburbanites if, say, they take a light plane from Moorabbin to Fogarty's Field airfield just a K or so from Back-of-Beyond Park!!!
Oh the inconvenience of having to go to Melton once every 6 years. And heaven forbid you are lucky enough to play in a Grand Final and you have to travel. If they earn it good luck to them. Never had a problem going there all the way from the east.

Pearson, Brennan, McKay, etc. It won’t matter anyway. It’s spin to win, stump to stump in subbies. You need 50 overs a day with the keeper up to the pegs in subbies. They’ve struggled to make finals let alone win them. Wasting their time and money.

Hahahahaha

Not a lot of love here for Brunswick,after another finals capitulation I wonder if they've fired all their bullets?
Does anyone know where the Elsternwick/Oakleigh game will be played,I'm a bit confused after all the upsets?

Not a lot of love here for Brunswick,after another finals capitulation I wonder if they've fired all their bullets?
Does anyone know where the Elsternwick/Oakleigh game will be played,I'm a bit confused after all the upsets?

Has to be at Warrawee. Well done to the Oaks, probably won't have a TOTY rep but have Kenny, 3 out of 4 teams in the GF, and odds on to win SW.

Group Finals fixtures: (higher ranked qualifier in bold & italics)

North/East 1st XI
Noble Park v Plenty Valley
Pat Wright Sen. Oval

South/West 1st XI
Oakleigh v Elsternwick
Warrawee Park Oval

North/East 2nd XI
Brunswick v Preston
AG Gillon Oval

South/West 2nd XI
Oakleigh v Brighton
Brighton Beach Oval

North/West 3rd XI
Preston v Werribee
Preston City Oval

North/West 4th XI
Plenty Valley v Hoppers Crossing
Yarrambat

South/East 3rd XI
Oakleigh v Balwyn
Gordon Barnard Reserve

South/East 4th XI
Caulfield v Bayswater
Caulfield Park (Main Oval)

Last edited:
Wonder why Oakleigh 3rds aren't playing at Scammell Reserve, their home ground. The expectation at Oakleigh was that it would be at Scammell.

Wonder why Oakleigh 3rds aren't playing at Scammell Reserve, their home ground. The expectation at Oakleigh was that it would be at Scammell.
Discovered the answer. Apparently the comp want finals to be played on 1st XI grounds wherever possible. So Oakleigh, the top ranked team in 3GFs, have only one home match.

Back