Swimming

shahidpak

Any fellow fishes here ?

No... actually that was bad i think i should stop yeah sorry....

Lets discussion the benefits for cricket...

Great for fitness and lung capacity, wont do too much for muscle though.

Get terribly hungry afterwards though so if you want to drop weight it's probably not the best exercise. (not that that's a problem for me..)

Whoa does it keep you fit do you gain muscle ?
One muscle it does actually strengthen a fair bit is the triceps I think.

Finally got around to ordering some proper swimming shorts instead of just boardies, swim so much better and quickly it's ridiculous, don't know why I didn't do it ages ago..

I like a swim, I've normally got massive lung capacity and swim lengths under water (33 meters). I used to do this thing where I would swim down to the 12' 6" end of our towns pool and just lurk for ages at the bottom. I used to love that feeling, then I busted my eardrum and swimming's a problem at any depth more than about 4'. Make surfing difficult as well and diving off of the diving boards or rocks around the coast - all those fun things.:( I saw a bloke spear fishing last summer and he was coming out of the water with some massive Bass every day. I was so envious.

Last edited:
I like a swim, I've normally got massive lung capacity and swim lengths under water (50 meters). I used to do this thing where I would swim down to the 12' 6" end of our towns pool and just lurk for ages at the bottom. I used to love that feeling, then I busted my eardrum and swimming's a problem at any depth more than about 4'. Make surfing difficult as well and diving off of the diving boards or rocks around the coast - all those fun things.:( I saw a bloke spear fishing last summer and he was coming out of the water with some massive Bass every day. I was so envious.
Geez I can only do about 20m under water without a breath.

You actually have beaches in Pommy land? :p I'm a bit funny in that I'm a strong and regular pool swimmer but have never been big on swimming in the ocean. Bit of a waste living in Western Australia with some of the best beaches in the world...

Yeah... I lived in a tent May to Oct 1986 and 87 at this one here, surfing this break and another (left). This is Gwenver in Cornwall, I use a board that was made for one of your greatest surfers, can't remember his name off the top of my head, but he lived and surfed around the Forster area. He sold the board to a mate (Another Aussie) who came over here and surfed this beach for a season and life guarded. He then sold the board to me before moving on to Portugal.

beaches_in_cornwall_gwenver.jpg

Here's another just round the corner from this one on the south coast - Ped ne Vounder
012.jpg

The last couple of summers I've been able to surf for over an hour without a wetsuit which is unheard of, but made possible because of global warming. Sea swimming's okay it's dull with no objective, where I am in Essex got a big river (Thames) which we used to swim across at Tilbury to Gravesend.

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-27_18-49-52.png
    upload_2015-3-27_18-49-52.png
    166 KB · Views: 1
Geez I can only do about 20m under water without a breath.

You actually have beaches in Pommy land? :p I'm a bit funny in that I'm a strong and regular pool swimmer but have never been big on swimming in the ocean. Bit of a waste living in Western Australia with some of the best beaches in the world...
Just checked the length of the pool - over did the length 33 metres is the truth!!!:confused:

That explains a lot Dave! :D
We used to climb onto this bridge here as well
url

and jump and dive off it, it used to be so shallow at low tide that on impact you'd have to curl up into a ball so you didn't go deep at all and you'd still hit the bottom! Luckily it's a mud bottom, but there were motorbikes and stuff dumped in there in the same area. Madness with hindsight. Maybe the combination of effluents and head impact on diving from such a height?:eek:

Just checked the length of the pool - over did the length 33 metres is the truth!!!:confused:
Still a decent effort. It's an unusual length but I have seen in some small country towns.

Got reasonably fit this summer, could swim 1km in around 18 and a half minutes. Problem is now in winter there is no indoor pool and it closes for 7 months. I don't like running much and don't have a a bike so you lose most of it.

Still a decent effort. It's an unusual length but I have seen in some small country towns.

Got reasonably fit this summer, could swim 1km in around 18 and a half minutes. Problem is now in winter there is no indoor pool and it closes for 7 months. I don't like running much and don't have a a bike so you lose most of it.
Yeah I've got myself a bike over the winter, it's still a bit cold here, but I'm hoping to get out on it a bit when the weather's a bit warmer.

The season is just starting and i am soooo unfit.... I cant even do 1 press up.... But im soooooooo excited for this season !

Swimming is one of my fave sports. Follow all the state, national and international meets involving Aussie Dolphins..

Us Brits are led to believe that Aussies are really good swimmers due to the fact that you guys spend lots of time on your beautiful sandy beaches, is there any truth in this?🏊

That is true. I learnt to swim in a weir near my family home but I spent a lot of time riding the waves in my youth at nearby Cronulla Beach (below).
1599869240536.png

Last edited:
WE have had two swimming pools since moving to our house. The first was an above ground where my son learned to swim.. he also almost drowned when I took my eye off him for a few seconds. The second was a below ground or built in pool. I will post it after I relocate my lost desktop pics.

WE have had two swimming pools since moving to our house. The first was an above ground where my son learned to swim.. he also almost drowned when I took my eye off him for a few seconds. The second was a below ground or built in pool. I will post it after I relocate my lost desktop pics.
That'll be nice to see your pool. I've never seen a house with a pool here, it's the local council swimming baths for us. I have swam in the River Dee a few times though, there was a group of us, we took a quick dip one really hot day a few years ago.

Back