Symonds sent home

a for effort

Symonds sent home

Symonds sent home for alcohol incident | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com
cricinfo said:
Andrew Symonds has been sent home from the ICC World Twenty20 for an "alcohol-related incident", throwing Australia's plans for the tournament into disarray. According to Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland, Symonds broke team rules related to alcohol and other issues. The captain, Ricky Ponting, is due to address the media in London at 1pm.

A bigger moron in world cricket there is not

Re: Symonds sent home

To be honest, Symonds probably doesn't give a hoot. He'll earn his $1.5m playing IPL each year and spend the rest of his days fishing and smashing cans.

Can I change my tip for Player of the Series? :eek:

Seriously, what an idiot. I was actually going to post about how this was Symonds' last chance on the international scene and to get back into the test side but he has well and truly blown it now. Probably his international career over now too. Wasted talent.

The stupidity is compounded by the fact he lost a bundle on Storm Financial. He's hardly in a position to be throwing away a lucerative CA contract, regardless of how much he can make in the IPL.

damn it roy.
i had faith that he could and was making it back.
i myself dont really care what players do off field, i watch cricket not reality shows, but lots of people do and in a game like cricket alcohol has no place but to make the game look bad.
maybe he should have gone for that league career, he would have been right at home.
for crickets sake i hope he somehow gets back into the side. i doubt it though.
CA would be losing money out of this as well. symonds drags a lot of sponsors around with him.

Should have been Hodgey but I suppose they preferred a big hitter, was really only ever going to be 1 of those 2

i like white for this form of the game. hes not too bad with the ball and can change the match quickly if he is in touch. they need to make sure the wire him up like they did in the last T20 in australia for channel nines coverage. it seemed to make him think about how he was playing and that everyone in the big wide world was watching so he better not stuff up. he said he was looking to hit a six, so the next ball he hit a six. he said he was going to steal a single, so he did just that. i dont know if it has any relevance but he played with class in that game.

A.B De Villiers;351666 said:
Typical Victorian response. I love it! :D
:D

But atleast this time its true, there are no other better options in Australia, hell there arent any better options in the squad that was picked, a disgrace they both weren't in the original squad

eddiesmith;351667 said:
:D

But atleast this time its true, there are no other better options in Australia, hell there arent any better options in the squad that was picked, a disgrace they both weren't in the original squad

Should've just taken the victorian side + nannes. would come home with cup easily! :D

Symonds eyes role as global Twenty20 freelancer | Australia Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like Symonds is going to announce his retirement from international cricket on Wednesday. Should he do so that would leave him free to play a range of tournaments over the next year or so and could earn some serious money by playing in those competitions. There is some interest from within the franchises in the Pro20 (South Africa's Domestic Twenty20 competition) as well as from Queensland in Australia's domestic competition (KFC Big Bash) and then there's a possible stint in the English county comp also. Add to that the IPL and Symonds is potentially being dubbed the world's first "freelance" Twenty20 cricketer.

Symonds could then be left to his devices without fear of getting into trouble and could earn more money that his Australian teammates in the process. Getting drunk never looked so good.

Seriously though, a massive waste of talent, it's a shame Symonds couldn't stay away from the bar because he was a very talented player and probably would have played at the 2011 World Cup if it weren't for his off-field problems. Whilst he will do well away from the inetnational scene, it will be disappointing to not see him on the global stage playing for Australia.

Back