T20 Batting Tips?

abhiscenter

T20 Batting Tips?

Hey guys,
I am middle order batsman, usually I play according to situation and play aggressive after getting settled.
But in T20 I barely get 2-3 overs or less to play in the game and at the time all I can do is slogging and usually connect very few. Can some one give me some tips on how can I score more without wasting a ball.
I play good on front foot more than backfoot and short deliveries.
May be some various drills during nets or other opinion which can help.
Please pitch-in ur Ideas!
Any help is appreciated.
thank you

Re: T20 Batting Tips?

I think the main thing is really to get bat on ball. Remember, you don't have to hit everything for 6, getting 4 2 1 1 1 1 from an over will get you 10. Things like turning 1s into 2s and 2s into 3s will help you score quicker as well.

If you are struggling with the fact that you have no time to play yourself in out there, then get a mate to give you some throwdowns as you are waiting to go out to bat.

For your first two overs don't try and hit a boundary, unless you get a hot pie of course. The first two overs just look to pick singles and rotate the strike this will get you finding the middle. Once you have done that you then have a slogging license.

Where do you like the ball best which is your favourite shot and the best shot you play ? Because you should make it so for instance if it is the pull shot you need to get the bowlers to bowl middle to leg stump so I stand on middle and off and show them my leg stump they then keep bowling wides and pull shots that I can put away with ease.

Dont make the mistake of trying to slog, everyone comes in and tries to put everyhing to cow corner, play your normal shots except maybe a block, if you can straight drive it or flick it, then after a couple overs, go airbourne still playing correct shots

Well you can look at it two ways really. You can either go "Oh my God, only 3 overs to go! I'll just try to slog and hope for the best" or you can have the "Well... there still are at least 18 balls to go! That's enough time for me to get a boundary or two, and maybe even more." The key is, if you don't panic, the bowler will. Remember that you're not the only person under pressure. If the bowler gets hit for even one boundary in the death overs, he'll get slightly nervous and spray it around a bit and if you as a batsman can capitalise on those oppotunities, the bowler will provide you even more of those loose deliveries, simply because instead of you being under immense pressure to score runs, he'll be under pressure to stop the flow of boundaries or even twos and threes and he'll overdo it and maybe provide you with more opportunities. Of course if you get a good ball you can just drop it at your feet and run for a quick single. Remember, Twenty20 isn't all about slogging, you have to play sensibly in order to survive, even if it's only 18 deliveries. As a batsman, all you have to do really is keep your head in. 50% of your battle against the bowler is in the mind, the rest is obviously depends on your skills but if you can already get a mental edge on the bowler, it's half the battle won.

My two pennys worth,

Rotate the strike, Run teh first run hard and the second harder!

Wait for the bad balls for boundariers, They will come under pressure. try to score off teh good balls even if its a single!

and lastly pretend to play left handed as the bowler runs up! :)

I usually start with a couple of drop and runs with the field pushed back its fairly easy, then when well settled and loosened up free the arms, being a front foot player then just plant that front foot down the crease and unleash, straight back over the bowlers head is good place, otherwise if its dropped in short enough to get under then over midwicket

But basically get the front foot down and a nice stable position and you can hit almost anything, a yorker and its more drop and run if not up to playing the flick to fine leg as its a risky shot

If they try anything short (Suicidal in T20) get inside it and try and get between fine leg and the keeper

The main thing is if using field restrictions then plenty of gaps to work into and anything between fielders in the deep should always be 2, always be willing to take on the fielder in the deep

One good method is to go back and across your stumps early but leaving your front foot a little open.

This means you can hit with a straight bat over the top through mid on and if it is short you can cut or pull.

It's still risky but less so than hitting across the line.

Stumped;316844 said:
My two pennys worth,

Rotate the strike, Run teh first run hard and the second harder!

Wait for the bad balls for boundariers, They will come under pressure. try to score off teh good balls even if its a single!

and lastly pretend to play left handed as the bowler runs up! :)

I didn't get the part of pretending left handed!
can you clear that doubt plz?
A.v

micoach;316868 said:
One good method is to go back and across your stumps early but leaving your front foot a little open.

This means you can hit with a straight bat over the top through mid on and if it is short you can cut or pull.

It's still risky but less so than hitting across the line.

So basically you are suggesting that I should shuffle across the line?
I take leg guard and sort of problem with me till now is that my backfoot doesn't move that often :( but i am working on it and maybe if possible i will try uploading a video pretty soon to get more tips!
thank you
A.V

abhiscenter;317725 said:
So basically you are suggesting that I should shuffle across the line?
A.V

More like move firmly back and across in one strong step. When the bowler releases the ball your weight is balanced between your feet, your head is still and you can eith play an orthodox back foot shot (cut, pull, hook) or hit with a straight bat to a length ball further up.

The straight hit will go over mid on because your body is turned that way. You won't be stepping to the ball but you still have to lean into the shot hitting in in front of you as far as possible. Don't hit across it, think of it as a lofted on drive.

The thing that I see mainly in T20, is batsmen trying to hit every ball for 4 or 6, and pre-meditate a slog shot, no matter what the ball is.

This is entirely the wrong way to go about it. Slogging in T20 is more the mindset that the batsmen has, than hitting every ball for 6.

The right way to bat in T20 is to bat with an attacking mindset, by which i mean to look to score off as many balls in the over as you can. This means 1's and 2's, as well as the odd 4 or 6. If you can bat like this, you can build a quickfire 20 or 30 of only 10-15 balls, which can prove the difference between a win and a loss, when it comes down to the wire.

I agree doosra, my advice is really for the 2nd half of the game when you need to score 9 or 10 an over.

A safer approach is to work the ball around but you may only score at 6 or 7. That may be enough at the level you play to win, so it's important to play it by ear.

David,

Off late i am having trouble of playing the cover drive even if the ball fuller in length.
I am just not able to hit on the line of the ball.
Can u help me in rectifying the mistakes?

My coach says that my front foot is not be brought out fully and i am basically palying back foot drive.

Please help

Virender

Does anyone have any tips for opening the batting in T20s? I'm not really a super batsman, but I top scored last game when I had to fill in the opening spot because one of our openers was injured, and the other opener struggled, so I may have to take the spot again. Any tips? Thanks.

Back