T20 Tournament locations - to grow the game?

gbatman

T20 Tournament locations - to grow the game?

Should we be playing more T20 games in countries like USA, Northern Asia and perhaps the middle east if it's safe?

To enjoy cricket you have to be able to understand the game (rules and skills etc). Except for 20/20. Should we be playing T20 games in non-cricket countries to grow the game even though it would be sacrificing money in the short term? Perhaps an IPL typer series where the country would have it's major cities represented or something along those lines?

Re: T20 Tourniment locations - to grow the game?

i would love to have all nations in the world playing this great game, but if the US want to sell baseball in australia i think they would be largely insuccessful. cricket is the second largest sport in the world with over 180 countries having international teams and following on a fairly large basis. countries like the netherlands have a very large fan base of cricket and they watch the sport avidly, its just that they dont really have the players to make their international side compete with the world's best. is there much need to extend anyway?
there was an idea a little while ago to have a couple of exhibition matches at new york and philadelphia between australia and south africa with some american players incorporated into both sides to grow the interest. there was serious thought about this but in the end the funds couldnt be raised. they werent for any trophy or anything and they were pretty much just told to go out and hit or bowl as aggressively as they can, with players who do that naturally being picked.
i dont mind the idea but i would rather not have T20 spread any further then it has. i think it should stay as a hit and giggle form of the game, and if other countries start seeing it they won't want to play anything else as their understanding of the game would be the 'get in, get out' sort of style. this would leave tests underfunded, and although they would go on, ODIs may be lost.
i hate T20s myself, so maybe someone without a biased opinion could answer your question.

Have you watched baseball? Boring as hell and they hardly ever hit it, they watch it for the big hitting which there is far more of in 20/20, could be interesting...

I don't liek 20/20 cricket as much as the others but hey, cricket is cricket, it would be hard to only play 20/20 cricket in a country and ignore the others, 20/20 could be the spark that starts the fire so to speak.

Re: T20 Tournament locations - to grow the game?

I think 20/20 cricket has already become too big. Like most cricket purists I believe Test cricket is still the best.

20/20 could be used as an introduction type vehicle into non cricket countries. When they have seen what the games about then introduce them to 50 over cricket for their league formats.

This would then hopefully lead into first class cricket.

gbatman;353577 said:
Have you watched baseball? Boring as hell and they hardly ever hit it, they watch it for the big hitting which there is far more of in 20/20, could be interesting...

i used to play baseball, and i quite enjoyed it, but nowhere near as good as any cricket. baseball has contributed greatly to cricket with fielding, i was a pitcher most of the time and i raised the speed of my throw from 80-85kph to my present speed of 120+ kph with just technique. that was my random statement of the day.

T20 has become too big and i hate it, but that is just me. other people have opinions that T20 is better then any test match, but i disagree.
any cricket game that can be changed with just one economical over, instead of two good sessions stringed together, or possibly even days, just isnt cricket.

Baseball is one of those games that you either like or you hate it. I like it as I think it requires a fair amount of skill. Just the whole management aspect is a learning experience..

If cricket is to become global it would need to break into the US and China. It is simple the populations would make investment and marketing easy to sell.. I still think cricket is going to battle there..

test cricket is better to people like us because we already love the game and understand it. You can't use test cricket and 1 day cricket to sell the game to the cricket illiterate. After all 20/20 is still cricket and if you can get people interested in that then eventually the interest might spread to other formats.

one way to make cricket worldwide... the olympics.

im sure you have seen or read about it as gilly calls for it lately... i think its a great idea.
makes the olympics a little more exciting anyways.

Boris;354067 said:
one way to make cricket worldwide... the olympics.

im sure you have seen or read about it as gilly calls for it lately... i think its a great idea.
makes the olympics a little more exciting anyways.

It won't get into the Olympics, the Americans don't play it!

gbatman;354084 said:
It won't get into the Olympics, the Americans don't play it!

theres no harm in trying...
i myself cant see how baseball got in there. just because america has the 'world series' where only the one country competes...

Boris;354092 said:
theres no harm in trying...
i myself cant see how baseball got in there. just because america has the 'world series' where only the one country competes...

i think cricket took too long to play a game, but 20/20 cricket, that's different.

I hope it gets in, cricket should be ahead of baseball, for sure! Many countries play cricket, it's a very very old sport and it's followed by billions.

gbatman;354182 said:
i think cricket took too long to play a game, but 20/20 cricket, that's different.

I hope it gets in, cricket should be ahead of baseball, for sure! Many countries play cricket, it's a very very old sport and it's followed by billions.

yeah, for sure.

test cricket would just be insane to play in the olympics, the teams would only have one day rests and very little turn around because of the length, which is fair enough.

baseball is no longer in the olympics now is it? or is it only softball that is gone?

cricket is the second largest sport in the world with 180 nations and over 1.5 billion followers. much, much larger then baseball will ever be. only soccer/football exceeds that, which is why its the 'world game'.
also, small game played by third world countries i think not! it is the third richest sport in the world... with T20 being absolutely huge money wise.

im not sure what else is needed to prove its worth on the biggest stage...

20/20 is probably the only format of cricket that would have a chance of getting in the olympics due to the timeframe in which a game can be played. Not much longer to play than most other team sports.

The question that then needs to be asked is would 20/20 being in the olympics be good for cricket? Whilst it would generate a lot of publicity by being an olympic sport and would get broadcast all across the globe people may start to think that 20/20 cricket is the pinnacle because it is an olympic sport. Do we really want 20/20 to be seen as the pinnacle form of the game?

I'd just prefer to see 20/20 used as a promotional game. First class cricket is the pinnacle and all efforts should be made by the administrators to keep it this way. In my opinion anyway.

namdarb;354345 said:
20/20 is probably the only format of cricket that would have a chance of getting in the olympics due to the timeframe in which a game can be played. Not much longer to play than most other team sports.

The question that then needs to be asked is would 20/20 being in the olympics be good for cricket? Whilst it would generate a lot of publicity by being an olympic sport and would get broadcast all across the globe people may start to think that 20/20 cricket is the pinnacle because it is an olympic sport. Do we really want 20/20 to be seen as the pinnacle form of the game?

I'd just prefer to see 20/20 used as a promotional game. First class cricket is the pinnacle and all efforts should be made by the administrators to keep it this way. In my opinion anyway.

thats a really good point and an opinion changer.

also think of player workload. the aussie team has just come of the back of their usual and increasingly busy season only to go then to south africa, then onto england to play a possible dozen or so T20s, then 4 tour matches included along with 5 tests, then another three T20s and 7 ODIs. then after that they will only have a month or so before the start of the next season at home. where would you fit the olympics, especially with the IPL and county seasons looking rather appetising?

wouldnt the olympic T20 be the same as the T20 world cup anyway? im pretty sure the same teams that are in it would win their way through the heats to get a spot in the olympics. it took about a month for the T20 WC, so the olympics would have to have similar amounts of teams so that it doesnt stretch any further. this means that the other countries wont get much involvement in it anyway, their teams would no doubt not make it through the heats. im pretty sure the american team wouldnt even get a chance to get a sniff at what would be the super 8s, so the game wouldnt get the publicity elsewhere.

and yes, tests should be the pinnacle of the game. in fact T20s shouldnt be thought of as any more then a hit and giggle sort of a game.

the olympics is once every 4 years, perhaps if it is introduced into the olympics we could scrap the T20 world cup?

gbatman;354533 said:
the olympics is once every 4 years, perhaps if it is introduced into the olympics we could scrap the T20 world cup?

Why isn't the T20 world cup only held every 4 years anyway?
In such an overcrowded calendar it seems silly to have to have it every year.
You could hold both the T20 and 50 over cup every 4 years with a 2 year gap between each event I.e.
2009 - T20 World Cup
2011 - 50 over world cup
2013 - T20 World Cup
2015 - 50 Over world cup etc.

gbatman;354533 said:

namdarb;354596 said:
Why isn't the T20 world cup only held every 4 years anyway?
In such an overcrowded calendar it seems silly to have to have it every year.
You could hold both the T20 and 50 over cup every 4 years with a 2 year gap between each event I.e.
2009 - T20 World Cup
2011 - 50 over world cup
2013 - T20 World Cup
2015 - 50 Over world cup etc.

both make a lot of sense there.

i am leaning towards not having it in the olympics at all though.

whats going to happen in 2011? there will be two world cups, the 50 and 20 over versions. the T20 WC happens every second year so how will they fit in both, and where will the T20 one be?

Boris;354631 said:
both make a lot of sense there.

i am leaning towards not having it in the olympics at all though.

whats going to happen in 2011? there will be two world cups, the 50 and 20 over versions. the T20 WC happens every second year so how will they fit in both, and where will the T20 one be?

No, the ICC are going to have the next Twenty20 World Cup in 2010. The reasoning behind this was the 2008 Champions Trophy tournament that was supposed to be held in Pakistan was postponed until 2010 with the West Indies becoming the new hosts. The ICC have also stated that the tournament has changed due to the need to correct the international fixturing. So, the tournament is now going to be the Twenty20 World Cup which begins on April 23 next year.

Qualifying begins in late October. At the moment, the ten test nations have all qualified (Zimbabwe pending though) with two more teams to be added after qualifying finishes. UAE will host the qualifying tournament with Afghanistan, Bermuda, Cananda, Ireland, Kenya, the Netherlands, Scotland, UAE and the USA to all take part.

After that, the tournament will be held every two years. Sri Lanka will host in 2012 and Bangladesh will host the 2014 tournament. The set-up effectively delivers a World Cup tournament three out of every four years.

2010: Twenty20 World Cup in West Indies
2011: World Cup in India/Sri Lanka/Bangladesh
2012: Twenty20 World Cup in Sri Lanka
2014: Twenty20 World Cup in Bangladesh
2015: World Cup in Australia/New Zealand
2016: Twenty20 World Cup in TBD
2018: Twenty20 World Cup in TBD
2019: World Cup in England

My guess is that Australia will host the Twenty20 World Cup in 2016 or 2018.

So Australia and NZ wait until at least 2016 for a 20/20 WC?

:rolleyes:

Kram81;354663 said:
So Australia and NZ wait until at least 2016 for a 20/20 WC?

:rolleyes:

Looks that way. The ICC has said previously that England and South Africa were to host the first two tournaments as they were the first two countries to embrace the Twenty20 format. Sri Lanka were third and then Pakistan, followed by Australia and New Zealand. Not sure what Bangladesh have done to have earnt the 2014 hosting rights though.

I don't think the Twenty20 World Cup could be split between two countries anyway, not that many games and the tournament only goes for about two weeks.

Back