Taking Test Cricket Forward

MinuteWaltz

Kind of a tangent here, but it somewhat goes back to my earlier statement that restricting national team play does more harm than good.

I'm new to cricket, just started following the game earlier this (northern hemisphere) fall, and I'm American, so I don't come from a cricketing culture where everyone knows the game. Feel free to take my opinions with a grain of salt on that basis, but as a newcomer to the game with a fresh set of eyes, these are my observations about the state of the game:

First, cricket overall is stagnant. Everyone knows this, but it is worth repeating. Part of the reason for this is the attitude I've seen expressed by some (on this board, on cricinfo) that test cricket doesn't need to grow, that it's fine the way it is. With all due respect, cricket does need to grow. The sport is only played significantly in five areas of the world (British Isles, Southern Africa, Indian Subcontinent, Australia/New Zealand, and the Caribbean). It is at best a niche sport outside of those areas. On top of this, cricket is sliding somewhat in the Caribbean and is damn near in limbo in Zimbabwe. In response to this, no one seems to feel the barriers to play internationally should be relaxed. Associate nations have to work their way through a convoluted World League structure just to play ODI, and even the nations that actually care about cricket (Ireland for example) have to pay their dues as a non-test associate before they can even represent their nation on the highest levels of cricket. There are even mumblings about stripping Zimbabwe's or Bangladesh's test status, further restricting the breadth of the game world-wide. No other sport requires nations to jump through such beaurocratic hoops to simply represent themselves in international play.

Second, cricket steadfastly refused to innovate. Similar to baseball in the US, both sports have their greatest strength and greatest burden is their history and tradition. The later can impede progress and cause the sport to be slow to react to changing conditions. Case in point, cricket still refuses to play test matches under artificial lighting conditions. I realize it is tradition to play under natural light, but ODIs have successfully been played under floodlights for years. If test cricket did the same, shortened days of play such as yesterday's NZ-WI test wouldn't occur, and the game could be moved to the evening when people are off work and out of school and can go to the game in larger numbers. The same tradition holds back expansion of the sport. Any argument for adding more test nations is met with the response that it will water down the records, statistics, and history of the game. This is true, but is the absolute sanctity of records worth the future of the game?

Third, cricket spends too much time fighting itself. T20 and the IPL are the two aspects of the sport actually growing and hauling in money, yet both are largely seen as upstarts and threats to test cricket. I'm not the first to suggest this, but cricket needs to find a balance between T20 and test, between nation team competition and professional leagues. Perhaps this could be accomplished by cordoning off a portion of each calender year for the various aspects of the sport, perhaps not, but those in power in cricket cannot keep trying to jam the same square peg (test cricket first, everything else second) into a circular hole.

Again, these are my observations as a relative outsider to the game. Enjoy ripping them apart.

MinuteWaltz;292190 said:
Case in point, cricket still refuses to play test matches under artificial lighting conditions. I realize it is tradition to play under natural light, but ODIs have successfully been played under floodlights for years. If test cricket did the same, shortened days of play such as yesterday's NZ-WI test wouldn't occur, and the game could be moved to the evening when people are off work and out of school and can go to the game in larger numbers. The same tradition holds back expansion of the sport. Any argument for adding more test nations is met with the response that it will water down the records, statistics, and history of the game. This is true, but is the absolute sanctity of records worth the future of the game?

The main problem is with the red ball, it simply is too hard to see under lights and you can't use a white ball as they don't even last 50 overs. In Australia recently the topic of playing Tests at night has been raised and I think Kookaburra have been working on producing a pink ball.

They did play day/night 4 day matches in Australian domestic Cricket in the late 90s using an orange ball. I can recall only watching a game or 2 but it apparently didn't work. I think someone on here said that it was a bit of a joke as teams given the chance would declare around dusk as it was a prick of a time to bat..

Re: Likelihood Zimbabwe loses Test or ODI statis?

The orange ball leaves a 'trail' in the air which makes it hard to pick up. Pink balls are better but still not good enough at the moment.

Kram81;292223 said:
The main problem is with the red ball, it simply is too hard to see under lights and you can't use a white ball as they don't even last 50 overs.

But are not ODI's played with a white ball? Under floodlights as well? If so, I fail to see the problem. Even if the ball wears out after 40 over, well then replace the ball twice as often. The ICC can't be that cash strapped that this would be a financial problem.

In 1 dayers they actually replace it with an older white ball (always in the 35th over now) that has just been touched up so it can be seen. It's all they can do really. They also behave differently than the red balls. Plus a big part of Test Cricket is working the ball for reverse swing and spinners like using an older ball.

It's defenitly something worth giving a go they just need to get a suitable ball to use.

Kram81;292368 said:
In 1 dayers they actually replace it with an older white ball (always in the 35th over now) that has just been touched up so it can be seen. It's all they can do really. They also behave differently than the red balls. Plus a big part of Test Cricket is working the ball for reverse swing and spinners like using an older ball.

It's defenitly something worth giving a go they just need to get a suitable ball to use.

Now when you say that a white ball doesn't "last", I assume you mean it becomes dirty, scuffed, and no longer white (and thus harder to see) and not that the ball starts falling apart earlier than a red ball. I hope I also understand correctly that in ODIs, officials remove the original ball after 35 overs and replace it with a ball that has 35 overs of use and has simply been repainted white to show up better against the sight screen.

If that is true, then my question is, why can't a similar system be implemented in test? Start with a new white ball, replace it after say 30 overs with a 30 over old ball that has been repainted, replace that one after another 30 overs with a 60 over old ball that has again been repainted, and finally replace that one after another 20 vers and replace it with a brand new ball. You still get increasing wear on the ball over 80 overs to allow swing and tighter spin, yet the visibility of the ball remains essentially good.

I don't mean to be a jerk about this going back and forth with you, but it seems that if a white ball under artificial lighting works well in ODIs, it should also work in Tests (although again, this might be my cricket naivity showing)

Also, in retrospect, I kind of got this thread off the original topic. Sorry.

Minute Waltz with Test cricket we use a red ball, much harder and holds its shpae and shine a lot longer then a white ball. The only time in test cricket that the ball is replaced is if it gets damaged, seam comes apart or is out of shape. And of course when the team can get a new ball at 80 overs.

The only way we can play cricket into the evening or at night is to produce a ball that holds it shape, its colour and relative hardness. At the moment a white ball only lasts 35-40 overs and replacing this ball every 40 overs will bring in more damage then good. Gone will be the spinners of the game bowling long spells, reverse swing and batsman dominating bowlers.

Re: Taking Test Cricket Forward

Taking tests forward.........

I would like to see the wickets all have their own individual characteristics. Perth for example hard and fast, the Gabba seaming and Sydney turning. It doesnt realy help when a number of the pitches are so dead, flat and slow and turn the test into a boring, slow moving game.

Produce pitches that give a bit more to the bowlers. Recently (last 5-6 years) it seams that the pitches jsut favour the batsman, or offer only 20 ovesr with teh new ball on day one a slight chance for the bowlers. Nothing better then seeing batsman in trouble, jumping all over the place and feeling uncomfortable out there. Bowlers on top. Enough of the flat track bullies.

Being able to increase the crowd numbers. Offer some entertainment, perharps having some pools on grounds that have grassy banks, make it a bit more ofa party atmosphere. Spread tickets out to school's in low-socio-economic areas, allow kids to experience the cricket. And here is one for the BCCI perhaps sell individual days to the test cricket match instead of the only way you can go is if you buy the whole 5 days.

-In game points penalties for slow over rates, say 5 runs for every completed over short of 15 per hour. For example if team A has been bowling for one hour and they are only at 13.2 overs, team B earns 10 runs, five for not completing the fourteenth over, and another five for not even starting the fifteenth over. Stick to this for a few matches and watch the over rates shoot up.

-It is too expensive right now, but in an ideal world there would be (retractable) roofs on the test rated stadiums. NZ-WI lost 129 overs over the last three days due to lighting/weather. It is unacceptable that weather can force a draw like this (as opposed to teams earning a draw on the field). If the schedule is too constrained to allow teams to make up lost days of cricket, the fields should (again in an ideal world) be insulated from adverse weather.

-Get cricket (would have to be ODI or T20) in the olympics. Promote these shorter versions in other countries to introduce them to the sport. Tone down the sense of elitism in cricket's international structure.

For me the main questions are:

1. Should the number of test playing nations be expanded? If not, why not. If yes, then how best to bridge the gap in quality and ensure competitive games.

2. What should be done about pitches to make sure that all elements of the game get a look in.

3. What can be done with regards to the declining spectator base.

4. Technology - yes or no? How best to implement it.

5. Should test cricket be developed for the modern market or allowed to remain as is?

I was going to make a comment about taking it off the tele (test cricket) and away from Murdoch so that if you want to see it you'd have to go to the game but then realised that SKY pump millions into the sport. It's all about the money primarily and the fact that leisure activities have changed - kids don't play cricket in most UK schools now, partly because their sports teachers would never have played the sport themselves and are more than likely too involved in texting and phoning each other organising their social lives rather than doing sport. Most sports teachers probably do most of their sport in front of a computer and in a gym these days. Society has changed - Thatcher celebrated the individual, sold off the school fields and told everyone to buy their houses. Test Cricket it seems is a sport from a different slower time and has become very marginalised and inaccessible to many including me. I thought I was going to come up with some ideas but seemed to have talked myself into a gloomy corner with no way out which is a real shame as Test cricket is such an exciting, complex and unique game in a world where everything is so facile and easy - just to appeal to the lowest common denomenator and the dollar.

You bring up a whole range of points there, Dave but I'll pick up on this:

Test Cricket it seems is a sport from a different slower time and has become very marginalised and inaccessible to many including me.

That is very true. The time aspect is key, people just don't seem to have time for a game that takes 5 days to complete. I don't think the pace of the actual game is a problem (well, not when they stick to the proper over rates) but if you followed test cricket ball by ball, it'd be a full time job.

yeah - I almost signed up for SKY recently and as I was talking to the bloke I realised that

1. I wouldn't be able to watch it live as it's played during work days.
2. Even if you recorded it you'd never be able to watch while the games were being played and you'd end up watching it over a period of weeks much later on which is okay - but by that time you'd have known the outcome anyway!

It does seem doomed in the long run which is appalling - I hope it stays pretty much as it is. Highlight programs are the answer - people tell me that sky do a pretty good job with a fairly hefty highlight program in the evenings - is that true?

mas cambios;293724 said:
For me the main questions are:

1. Should the number of test playing nations be expanded? If not, why not. If yes, then how best to bridge the gap in quality and ensure competitive games.

2. What should be done about pitches to make sure that all elements of the game get a look in.

3. What can be done with regards to the declining spectator base.

4. Technology - yes or no? How best to implement it.

5. Should test cricket be developed for the modern market or allowed to remain as is?

I believe yes it should be expanded for the development of the game. I believe they should have a two or three tier system.

Tier one: The top 5 or 6 (Australia, South Africa, England, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan - Are all definites in this tier, West Indies could be in either Tier 1 or 2). The Top Test nations play in this Tier, and judging by results once they have all played eachother a certain amount of times, one team gets dropped to Tier 2.

Tier two: The middle 5 or 6 Nations (Ireland, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, New Zealand etc., West Indies maybe) play in this tier, and once they have all played eachother, the top nation moves into Tier 1 and the Bottom Nation moves into Tier 3.

Tier three: Nations like Bermuda, Canada, USA/America, Netherlands etc. Play in this tier again with the winner moving to tier two.

Essentially it is a relegation system promoting the teams that are too good for their tier. The only problem I can see with it is tier 3, if the bottom team gets relegated, and a new test nation is given a license to play in tier 3.

Opinions on this system?

Back