Test XI Selection Thread

But the selectors or CA 6 months ago or whenever the schedule was announced would not have planned on having many spots if any up for grabs. It was more a chance for the 2nd best side to have a hitout against a test team and it is still a good chance for the English batsmen and A bowlers to have a good battle to see where they all stand atm. Of course the best schedule would have been this game being this week and next week a tour game v QLD but they dont want England getting used to the GABBA hence the last game in the complete opposite of conditions

When Greg Chappell was in charge of India he tried to make a number of changes and was howled down by the self interest in their game. Eventually they selected the players Chappell had ear marked but some Indian bureacrat got the credit. Hussey has been a great servant of the game, however he has been blessed with the number of chances he has received especially in that two year period where he could not buy a run.Hussey should be left out of the series, and it is time Australia start thinking about who is going to replace Ponting at number 3. (Please do not say Michael Clarke.He is too busy checking his stats and making commercials) They should also ensure that Ponting retires at the end of the current series as his days as a dominating Test bat have past him, and really he is not a good skipper. There are calls to replace Watson at the top with Hughes and play Watson at 5 or 6. I don't agree as I like the way Watson bats and gets us of to a flying start, which is what you need in Test cricket, as well as the left right combination which is always annoying for bowlers. In short, the selectors have gone to sleep in the past few years filling gaps rather than planning for the future and it is now showing.Finally, Michael Clarke should be put on notice that he either peforms this summer or he is out.Clearly he has demonstrated that he is not a Captain's bootlace and does not have the respect of the players or dare I say the public. And Andrew Hilditch, please retire and concentrate on your legal practice. I hope you are better lawyer than you are a selector.

When Greg Chappell was in charge of India he tried to make a number of changes and was howled down by the self interest in their game. Eventually they selected the players Chappell had ear marked but some Indian bureacrat got the credit. Hussey has been a great servant of the game, however he has been blessed with the number of chances he has received especially in that two year period where he could not buy a run.Hussey should be left out of the series, and it is time Australia start thinking about who is going to replace Ponting at number 3. (Please do not say Michael Clarke.He is too busy checking his stats and making commercials) They should also ensure that Ponting retires at the end of the current series as his days as a dominating Test bat have past him, and really he is not a good skipper. There are calls to replace Watson at the top with Hughes and play Watson at 5 or 6. I don't agree as I like the way Watson bats and gets us of to a flying start, which is what you need in Test cricket, as well as the left right combination which is always annoying for bowlers. In short, the selectors have gone to sleep in the past few years filling gaps rather than planning for the future and it is now showing.Finally, Michael Clarke should be put on notice that he either peforms this summer or he is out.Clearly he has demonstrated that he is not a Captain's bootlace and does not have the respect of the players or dare I say the public. And Andrew Hilditch, please retire and concentrate on your legal practice. I hope you are better lawyer than you are a selector.

First, I'll give you a tip. Use paragraphs.

Secondly, Michael Clarke does have the respect of the players, just because a news paper article says he doesn't does not make it so.

My team for the first test.

Watson
Hughes (Katich not considered because of lack of match fitness and form)
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
Harris (Bollinger not considered because of lack of match fitness)
Hauritz
Hilfenhaus

First, I'll give you a tip. Use paragraphs.

Secondly, Michael Clarke does have the respect of the players, just because a news paper article says he doesn't does not make it so.

My team for the first test.

Watson
Hughes (Katich not considered because of lack of match fitness and form)
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
Harris (Bollinger not considered because of lack of match fitness)
Hauritz
Hilfenhaus

So you haven't included Katich because of lack of form (as well as fitness), but you have included Hussey and North? Wtf?

Sorry, I didn't include Katich primarily because of lack of match practice/fitness. The use of 'form' was misleading.

Indeed, Jacques lost his spot to Katich because Jacques got injured. At this point, Jacques has never been mentioned again for Australian selection which seems unfortunate, because he had a great start to his career. It would not surprise me at all if Katich doesn't come up for selection, and hopefully he doesn't play unless he can play all his shots to the best of his ability.

The exclusion of Bollinger and Katich is based on the fact that they have had very little cricket. Im not saying they wouldn't do a good job if selected; Bollinger hit the ground on fire in the first test in India without any meaningful cricket behind him. It's just I'd always lean to a couple of guys that have had a decent prepartion.

Sorry, I didn't include Katich primarily because of lack of match practice/fitness. The use of 'form' was misleading.

Indeed, Jacques lost his spot to Katich because Jacques got injured. At this point, Jacques has never been mentioned again for Australian selection which seems unfortunate, because he had a great start to his career. It would not surprise me at all if Katich doesn't come up for selection, and hopefully he doesn't play unless he can play all his shots to the best of his ability.

The exclusion of Bollinger and Katich is based on the fact that they have had very little cricket. Im not saying they wouldn't do a good job if selected; Bollinger hit the ground on fire in the first test in India without any meaningful cricket behind him. It's just I'd always lean to a couple of guys that have had a decent prepartion.

Ok, fair enough then.

Regarding Katich, if you're trying to draw a parallel between him and Jaques, there's one important difference: Katich's injury is a thumb injury which simply needs rest; Jaques injury is a chronic back problem that required surgery. Jaques will always be a high risk of breaking down with his back, which is I think why the selectors have avoided him since he left the Test side (his form also hasn't screamed out for a return, despite being solid). There will be no such problem with Katich's thumb.

If Katich misses the first Test (very possible), we could even see Khawaja/Ferguson/Smith come into the side, and Hussey open. Or if it's Khawaja, he could even open. Then when Katich returns, whoever performs best, Hussey or his potential replacement, stays in.

How has North and Hussey remained in the team? I'm sick an tired of those selectors, our 5th place ranking is very reflective of how we've done.Why are people talking about Smith's chance at batting in the top 6 for the first test.Guys that wont happen,a talented batter Smith is, one of the best 6 bats in Australia he is not.Katman is injured and wont play the first test, he could have barely hold a bat in India so Hughes will get another opportunity to impress verses the England.I'm Ferguson biggest fan but if he is picked before a more deserving Khawaja or even before Hughes i'll be slamming a few selectors heads.

How has North and Hussey remained in the team? I'm sick an tired of those selectors, our 5th place ranking is very reflective of how we've done.Why are people talking about Smith's chance at batting in the top 6 for the first test.Guys that wont happen,a talented batter Smith is, one of the best 6 bats in Australia he is not.Katman is injured and wont play the first test, he could have barely hold a bat in India so Hughes will get another opportunity to impress verses the England.I'm Ferguson biggest fan but if he is picked before a more deserving Khawaja or even before Hughes i'll be slamming a few selectors heads.

It's pretty rare a 20 year old hits 4 tonnes in a season at 77 (and in only 8 games, mind you). Plus he is an allrounder. I agree that he's probably not ready to be a Test batsman yet, but it's easy to see where the hype comes from.

We will see how Australia A lines up next week, but it appears that the selectors are fixated on playing Smith as a bowler. He'd be much better if they gave him North's role in the side, let him bat up the order and treat the bowling as a bonus.

The rate they're going they'll ruin him like White.

He is one of only 6 batsmen in the Australia A squad, they seem to be letting him try for that no6 role, of course someone else is putting their hand up for that role should Australia not want another spinner...

I havent seen alot of Smith but when I saw him face a short ball in the T20 the other day and then he got out to a short ball today, might be something they are worried about? He is still young so could be a confidence thing

It's pretty rare a 20 year old hits 4 tonnes in a season at 77 (and in only 8 games, mind you). Plus he is an allrounder. I agree that he's probably not ready to be a Test batsman yet, but it's easy to see where the hype comes from.

Yes i know what you're saying but at the same time people need to be realistic.I think if Smith's batting continue to come along then in the next 2-4 years or so he can bat in the top 6 .We need to be patient with Smith he has quality but let him learn his trade at domestic level first.If selectors are thinking about Smith at 6 for the first ashes test we might as well hand England the ashes.This isn't a club match or a meaningless series we got to pick our best side to win the ashes back.Also Smith's bowling is irrelevant to him being picked if he isnt one of the best 6 batters in Australia.Its not like Smith's ripping leggies from leg to off.We already have an all rounder in Watson so guys lets please just pick the next best available batsman.

Th

The idea of Ponting coming in at 5 is silly. Ponting is our best batsmen by a considerable distance, having him at 5 is a waste of his ability. Either that, or all of a sudden, Ponting cares about his average and wants to boost it by a few points before he retires. I seriously doubt Ponting would want that.

I remember laughing at the Poms batting KP at 5. I couldn't understand it then, and I still can't now. The only thing I can think of is that KP called the shots about where he would bat. Batting at 5 shows for the first few years of his career proves, above all else, that KP is a selfish player.

Ponting is at 3, or he doesn't play. It's really that simple. There is no point batting Ponting at 5 whatsoever.

His the perfect number 3 and that is where he stays until he faces his last ball.

Yes my thoughts entirely, there is no way Ponting should bat at 5, Ponting is the type of player who we need to set the pace of the game.Ponting i too good a player to bat at 5 , i know Waugh batted there but Ponting is a number 3 and always will be.

This should be our Ashes team if we're fair dinkum about winning:

1. Simon Katich
2. Shane Watson
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Clarke
5. Usman Khawaja
6. Brad Haddin
7. Andrew McDonald
8. Steve O'Keefe
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Ryan Harris
11. Ben Hilfenhaus

Hussey, North and Hauritz out.

This side is far more balanced than what we have had recently. Three middle order all-rounders (Haddin, McDonald and O'Keefe) plus Johnson make the team balance much better. McDonalds bowling also allows MJ to attack flat out. If it doesn't come off, we arent a bowler down.

In what way is Harris better than Bollinger?

Harris: 2 matches for 9 wickets at 23 (Tests) and 49 matches for 127 wickets at 31 (FC)
Bollinger: 11 matches for 49 wickets at 23 (Tests) and 65 matches for 227 wickets at 28 (FC)

Also struggle to see how McDonald justifies his place. With three pacemen plus Watson his bowling is superfluous, and although he's had a sensational fortnight with the bat he still averages 37 at first class level and failed miserably last time he was in the Test team. You'd be better off picking someone like Dussey (or even White or Smith) who are proper batsmen and can trundle a few overs if necessary.

McDonald???Guys we don't need McDonald since we have Watson.McDoNALD IS A good domestic cricketer and absolutely nothing more.Bollinger wont be drop so no need thinking about it.If someone should be drop it should be Johnson but that wont happen.We need to be more realistic and pick what we think is the best team- your 6 best bats, best wicket keeper batsman and the 4 best bowlers.Its not rocket science guys.Smith , now McDONALD?????Please name guys like Khawaja,Hughes etc..Proper and very good batsmen.

He is one of only 6 batsmen in the Australia A squad, they seem to be letting him try for that no6 role, of course someone else is putting their hand up for that role should Australia not want another spinner...

I havent seen alot of Smith but when I saw him face a short ball in the T20 the other day and then he got out to a short ball today, might be something they are worried about? He is still young so could be a confidence thing

I have similar concerns over his ability with the short ball. He generally pulls and hooks well, but his technique when playing those shots is very unusual, it's jerky and he uses his arms to pull the bat through, rather than his body. It's generally pretty effective, he is a brutal hooker and puller, but it may also be a source of vulnerability.

Yes i know what you're saying but at the same time people need to be realistic.I think if Smith's batting continue to come along then in the next 2-4 years or so he can bat in the top 6 .We need to be patient with Smith he has quality but let him learn his trade at domestic level first.If selectors are thinking about Smith at 6 for the first ashes test we might as well hand England the ashes.This isn't a club match or a meaningless series we got to pick our best side to win the ashes back.Also Smith's bowling is irrelevant to him being picked if he isnt one of the best 6 batters in Australia.Its not like Smith's ripping leggies from leg to off.We already have an all rounder in Watson so guys lets please just pick the next best available batsman.

Absolutely, I don't think he should be rushed into the Test team. I did a little while ago, but after watching more of him, I'm just as excited about him but he is very raw. He's a fantastic talent, but his batting is just a touch too loose. Let him play FC cricket a bit more first. I like him in the ODI and T20I teams though, and I'd like to see him develop his international game there.

McDonald???Guys we don't need McDonald since we have Watson.McDoNALD IS A good domestic cricketer and absolutely nothing more.Bollinger wont be drop so no need thinking about it.If someone should be drop it should be Johnson but that wont happen.We need to be more realistic and pick what we think is the best team- your 6 best bats, best wicket keeper batsman and the 4 best bowlers.Its not rocket science guys.Smith , now McDONALD?????Please name guys like Khawaja,Hughes etc..Proper and very good batsmen.

McDonald's form has been phenomenal of late. He's also a very different player to Watson, Watson is a fantastic, dynamic partnership breaker who swings it both ways but can occasionally leak runs, whereas McDonald won't always take wickets but he's a stump to stump bowler that can extract a bit and is hard to get away. I think calls for him to come straight into the Test team are somewhat premature, but if he keeps batting the way he has been, there's no reason why he couldn't in after a while.

I agree with you, BabyBlues. I like CourtJester's team.

I might have Bollinger in ahead of Harris if he's fit. Whilst I'm a fan of North, he hasn't done enough - or more to the point, has failed too often. We have to set our standards higher than what the selectors have been accepting for the past couple of years. If Khawaja is the form bat on the domestic scene, let him do his stuff. Don't ruin him like what happened to Lehmann, Hodge, and several others. There is no longer a case to say: "But there aren't any spots available".

Similar thing with O'Keefe, although it concerns me that his state don't see him as worthy enough of a spot in its best. Not sure what that says. Smith would be close, but we need to be just a little more patient.

I agree with you, BabyBlues. I like CourtJester's team.

I might have Bollinger in ahead of Harris if he's fit. Whilst I'm a fan of North, he hasn't done enough - or more to the point, has failed too often. We have to set our standards higher than what the selectors have been accepting for the past couple of years. If Khawaja is the form bat on the domestic scene, let him do his stuff. Don't ruin him like what happened to Lehmann, Hodge, and several others. There is no longer a case to say: "But there aren't any spots available".

Similar thing with O'Keefe, although it concerns me that his state don't see him as worthy enough of a spot in its best. Not sure what that says. Smith would be close, but we need to be just a little more patient.

Agree on North. I think everybody does.

With O'Keefe, he was just unlucky. If you take a look at that NSW lineup, who do you drop? Hauritz, the current Test spinner, was always going to play. Cameron, Clark are undroppable, third seamer was Starc but should have been Copeland. I thought SOK could have batted at 7 and Jaques be dropped but it wasn't to be.

No Hughes!

What a strange decision to name 17 and not include the selectors man crush of yesterday (or so it seems).

Thoughts onthe squad.
Ponting, Clarke, Bollinger, Doherty, Ferguson, Haddin, Harris, Hauritz, Hussey, Hilfenhaus, Johnson, Katich, Khawaja, North, Siddle, Smith, Watson.
Bit of injury cover there, and some questions are being asked of Hauritz. Would have to think Boris' second fav player (behind Lee) is in the gun big time.

Far out. I wish the selectors would stop using ODI form to pick squads... Doherty and Ferguson do not belong anywhere near the Test team based on the first class records. O'Keefe and White would have to consider themselves very unlucky to have missed out to those two.

Odd that there is no backup opener, particularly with Katich being the way he is. If you'd told me they would name a squad of 17 I definitely would have expected either Hughes or Marsh to be included.

Back