Test XI Selection Thread

It better be because of fitness if Bolly is left out.

If Siddle is picked over him when they are both fit... well, put it this way, does anybody remember the pissed, shouted response at live performances to the Angel's "Am I Ever Going to See Your Face Again"?

I'm not overly fussed over Siddle or Bollinger to be honest, although, if pressed I'd probably go for Bollinger. However, back to back test matchs does have me a bit worried on the fitness of Bollinger with one FC match under his belt.

I guess the selectors have a decision to make on that one - it would be a hard call - and you could make a case for either player.

Not overly surprising that Hauritz was dropped after his performance in India - and his performance in the domestic competition. Really seemed like he was on the verge of totally losing his game.

Doherty at least has a more than respectable shield record over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

Hauritz's refusal to operate with a more attacking line - trying to hit the rough and bring it back to the right hander - eventually led to his downfall I'm afraid. With Smith in the wings, and Doherty, you'd imagine that Hauritz has played his last match for the baggy green.

Overall, probably the best squad the selectors could have picked considering the circumstances.

O'Keefe deserves to feel cheated. Doherty's first class record is pedestrian at best. He barely merits a place in the state side.

Doherty's first class average was excellent last year and he has started well this year. Might just be decent form and not real class.

What worries me is that we don't have a class spin bowler to choose anyway and the selectors have gone for the easy option of changing the bowling attack and leaving the continually failing batsmen alone. That is a bit of a disgrace really.

O'Keefe deserves to feel cheated. Doherty's first class record is pedestrian at best. He barely merits a place in the state side.

Whilst O'Keefe doesnt actually have a spot in his state side

Good squad, Doherty is improving now he is allowed to play a few more games and the right option, very unlucky to not have played quite a few more ODIs

Only when Hauritz is there, and he probably won't be any more if he's no longer in the Test frame.

O'Keefe is the best of a bad lot. At least he's a proper first class player.

Only when Hauritz is there, and he probably won't be any more if he's no longer in the Test frame.

O'Keefe is the best of a bad lot. At least he's a proper first class player.

Okeefe has played a handful of first class games, he has no right to feel cheated at all. Xavier Doherty's record over the last two seasons has been strong; his overall FC average is obviously heavily influenced by his performances up to 9 years ago, which really doesn't a fair indication of his ability at this point in time.

Doherty is a much improved bowler, at the very least, he has a bit of presence and confidence about him. Hauritz always gave the impression of being one shot away from having a nervous breakdown on the field.

The selectors have made a decisions - people need to accept that.

At the very least, O'keefe will take the ball away from the right-hander, therefore presenting us with a more attacking option to get English wickets.

Hauritz did get belted in India but tell me a spinner that hasn't against a team that learns how to play against spin from an early age? Either way all that speculation for essentially one change. Time will tell but I suspect by the third Test it could become farcical as the selectors try to find a team that will work. A left arm off spinner is always harder to play but the English have always struggled against a wrist spinner and this is the way i would go.

Agree there. O'Keefe is as good a bowler as Doherty (possibly better), as well as being capable of batting at 6 or 7.

Why not take a punt on him, considering his age and his outstanding FC record. I know he's only played 9 or 10 games, but that's enough to get an idea.

I think Richie Benaud probably got it right. Four quicks and North to bowl spin.Smith & one quick to miss out. Michael Clark is doing the old sore back routine.Great timing and a prefect excuse when he fails.Just drop him and put Hodgy in the team.

Can't believe people are suggesting guys like McDonald for the team. We already have an all-rounder in Watson, another one isn't necessary.

Whilst the selectors aren't doing a great job, some of the suggestions in here are probably worse.

I think Richie Benaud probably got it right. Four quicks and North to bowl spin.Smith & one quick to miss out. Michael Clark is doing the old sore back routine.Great timing and a prefect excuse when he fails.Just drop him and put Hodgy in the team.

Michael Clarke does have a reputation, based on fact or otherwise, of going missing when the heat is at its hottest. The Gabba test is likely to decide the series, and now Clarke's back is starting to get to him. FFS.

Apparently Siddle is in and Bolly is out.

I'm surprised that they haven't brought back Stuart Clark just to round off the Ashes 2009 losing squad.

Or maybe the message is that he and Hauritz were to blame for that series loss.

Has anything happened since the Oval test match 2009 to make anyone seriously think that this team can win the series?

Apparently Siddle is in and Bolly is out.

I'm surprised that they haven't brought back Stuart Clark just to round off the Ashes 2009 losing squad.

Or maybe the message is that he and Hauritz were to blame for that series loss.

Has anything happened since the Oval test match 2009 to make anyone seriously think that this team can win the series?

Yep, Flintoff has retired and we are playing at home.

I am quietly confident of our chances, certainly, a lot more confident compared to most other people. Although, I do wonder whether some people are intentionally over-stating how worried they are about England to lessen the pain if England happen to win.

I certainly haven't seen anything from England since the 2009 Ashes that makes me think they are a potential number 1 team.

Indeed, in SA they deserved to lose 3-1, rather than stealing a 1-1 draw.

I think it is a risk to take Bollinger into the Gabba test with only 1 FC game under his belt, certainly, too big a risk for back to back test matchs. Siddle will get the nod because his got more bowling under his belt than Bollinger.

Bollinger will miss out because he hasn't had enough bowling - simple. Siddle has had a strong start to the Shield competition, and he adds depth to the batting.

I also think England's 4 man bowling attack is a major weakness, especially considering the 3 seamers in their line up; none of those bowlers give the impression of being able to work all day on unresponsive wickets.

I'm going for Australia 3-0.

PS: I was reading a 16 page special lift out on the Ashes from the Courier Mail today, with a variety of Australian and English commentaors/ex players giving their score prediction for the series. Nearly everyone was going for England, and then Will Swanton, tips a 5-0 Australian whitewash.

Yep, Flintoff has retired and we are playing at home.

I am quietly confident of our chances, certainly, a lot more confident compared to most other people. Although, I do wonder whether some people are intentionally over-stating how worried they are about England to lessen the pain if England happen to win.

I certainly haven't seen anything from England since the 2009 Ashes that makes me think they are a potential number 1 team.

Indeed, in SA they deserved to lose 3-1, rather than stealing a 1-1 draw.

I think it is a risk to take Bollinger into the Gabba test with only 1 FC game under his belt, certainly, too big a risk for back to back test matchs. Siddle will get the nod because his got more bowling under his belt than Bollinger.

Bollinger will miss out because he hasn't had enough bowling - simple. Siddle has had a strong start to the Shield competition, and he adds depth to the batting.

I also think England's 4 man bowling attack is a major weakness, especially considering the 3 seamers in their line up; none of those bowlers give the impression of being able to work all day on unresponsive wickets.

I'm going for Australia 3-0.

PS: I was reading a 16 page special lift out on the Ashes from the Courier Mail today, with a variety of Australian and English commentaors/ex players giving their score prediction for the series. Nearly everyone was going for England, and then Will Swanton, tips a 5-0 Australian whitewash.

Good old Willy! I reckon the Poms will win the series as they have greater strength in depth and their preparation for the tour has been excellent so far.Only question mark is how they perform under extreme pressure which they haven't been under for quite a while.

Saying that I got a 50% bonus bet from Luxbet so I have stuck a cheeky bet on us to win at the Gabba!

Can't believe people are suggesting guys like McDonald for the team. We already have an all-rounder in Watson, another one isn't necessary.

Whilst the selectors aren't doing a great job, some of the suggestions in here are probably worse.
At the end of the day we are currently picking a couple of blokes who cannot make a run and one who has long-term forgotten how to bowl. What is wrong with someone who might be useful rather than a bunch of guys who are damn near guaran-damn-teed to disappoint.

Michael Clarke does have a reputation, based on fact or otherwise, of going missing when the heat is at its hottest. The Gabba test is likely to decide the series, and now Clarke's back is starting to get to him. FFS.

Clarke played and missed more than he actually hit the ball. How everyone just assumes that he is the next Test Captain is unbeliveable.He is coming off a pathetic series in India where he batted like a pub cricketer.Johnson will be looking over his shoulder as his spot is on the line.Hussey with back to the wall again shows he has the class but really should give it away at the end of the series. Go out on a high Huss. North must have some photos of the selectors in compromising positions, because that is the only reason I can see why he is in the team. The next time someone questions Peter Siddle just remember why Ponting loves him; because he will give you everything as does Bollinger.Johnson seems to have the mental toughness of an 8 year old.

Back