Test XI Selection Thread

WOW talking about Hodge, might as well consider a come back for Warne. Hodge is history, his time is gone and even though he probably could have been cut a better chance in test cricket he was never a team player. I would think we have some big issues ahead, if the new team fails then what. We must hope that the new opening pair can tie it together for the long haul. If Haddin plays rubbish again then will the selectors finally have the courage to axe him. It is the one position we have stock for. Cummins needs to get back and play or he will not be ready for the winter which will be quite a trial i would imagine. We need to really build now toward 2013 in England and that won't be with Ponting, Hussey and Haddin.

You can't see this series as a make or break one for the younger players. Cowan will probably only play the one match unless Marsh breaks down again. Warner and Marsh (If he stays fit) deserve to be persisted with for at least a couple of series for now. Both of them have a lot of experience in their different ways of playing international cricket, have won matches for Australia in the short formats and are not like 20 years old with stuff all behind them.

There are obviously questions to be answered regarding our batting line up. I have a view, like everyone else, on Ponting, Hussey, Haddin and the make up of the rest of the order.
The thing that is bugging me most now is the future make up of the bowling attack. Pretty happy with Lyon, and there dont appear to be a lot of options on spin. On pace
  • Siddle actually looks to have added heaps to his game, is it enough... don't know but he has been impressive lately
  • Pattinson looks to be settled and potentially a long term option
  • Cummings was impressive in SA and when fit will hopefully force his way back in
  • Harris is probably our best bowler now but is neither young or reliable (fitness wise)
  • Johnson when good is the best we have but far too inconsistent, I expect that he will dominate state level if he comes back through the sheild
  • The others, Hilfy and Starc I'm not sure about need to see more, happy for more informed opinion on them
  • Bollinger... finished
So if they were all fit now who play's?

There are obviously questions to be answered regarding our batting line up. I have a view, like everyone else, on Ponting, Hussey, Haddin and the make up of the rest of the order.
The thing that is bugging me most now is the future make up of the bowling attack. Pretty happy with Lyon, and there dont appear to be a lot of options on spin. On pace
  • Siddle actually looks to have added heaps to his game, is it enough... don't know but he has been impressive lately
  • Pattinson looks to be settled and potentially a long term option
  • Cummings was impressive in SA and when fit will hopefully force his way back in
  • Harris is probably our best bowler now but is neither young or reliable (fitness wise)
  • Johnson when good is the best we have but far too inconsistent, I expect that he will dominate state level if he comes back through the sheild
  • The others, Hilfy and Starc I'm not sure about need to see more, happy for more informed opinion on them
  • Bollinger... finished
So if they were all fit now who play's?

Pretty much agreed on all of that. Hilfenhaus is filling time until Cummins is fit again and the same applies for Siddle when Harris becomes good again too. Pattinson keeps his spot on pure form. Lyon is safe as there are really no other options plus he's looked okay.

In terms of batting, Watson to come in for Hussey and Khawaja for Ponting. The rest are all in pretty reasonable form. I'd leave Haddin in there, personally because I think he is capable of doing well with the bat, he just needs a big kick up the arse so he'll do it.

My XI (everyone fit)

Cowan
Warner
SE Marsh
*Clarke
Khawaja
Watson
+Haddin
Harris
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon

Pretty handy batting line-up there and the bowling attack has pace, swing and consistency and of course Lyon's off-breaks.

India is in a great position and will be looking for a lead of 150-200.Once they achieve this then the game is over and Australia's lack of batting back bone will come to the fore.I can see why India does not want the review. They essentially intimidate or bluff umpires into giving decisions. Take that away and all of a sudden they you take away one of their biggest strengths.

The DRS does have it's faults but the BCCI is at risk of cementing India's reputation as a pack of whinging cheats. They have been at it for a while now and the by not using the DRS but having all that technology there anyway they are looking stupid. It is all just the muscle flex of the BCCI. they are like silly children who have to throw a tanty just to prove they can.

exactly right, the team will be unchanged going into sydney, they wont risk Watson, and no one deserves to be dropped asides Haddin.

Im trying not to get to far ahead of myself, but that was a huge result for out team. The bowling attack has come on in leaps and bounds this calendar year and is beginning to look very settled, it was only one test match but siddle, pattinson and hilfenhaus all worked together so well. All 3 were just consistently hitting great areas at speed, something that starc and johnson cannot do.

Harris, served us well, but he is cooked. The bowlers are all performing too well to see him back in the team. Cummins will come in once fit you would assume but that wont be until the next tour.

The batting order is a little more tricky, was thrilled with ed cowan's debut, i thought that he showed he can deliver at test level and also with his success in the first dig, it allows us to put watson in at say 5 or 6, where he belongs so we can utilise his brilliant bowling.

To be honest i'm not entirely sold on Warner yet, the jury is still out for mine, despite his media love. Ponting and Hussey delivered when required and have cemented there positions in the team for Sydney and beyond.

Marsh despite many thinking that he is our best batsman, may be dropped if he fails again in sydney for the return or Watson.

The real question is where does watson fit in when fit? and who makes way. Hussey and Ponting look in form, so unlikely wither will be sacrificed, Cowan, Marsh and Hussey i feel will be fighting it out in sydney for 2 positions.

and Haddin would have to be on his final life you would think? with a deep tail, we can't carry a poor number 7, has never really delivered against the good countries, is a big worry for mine. I have no faith in him any more. Only good when we already have 300 on the board. Bring in Wade.

For mine great credit must go to McDermott for preparing the bowling attack and getting the focus where it needs to be. His team work on the second night must have done wonders as India seemed ready to post 400+. The question now is whether Langer is the right man for the batsman job. I have great respect for him but the batting lineup just does not seem to fire and somehow it is not for a lack of talent. We should definitely have made 400 in the first inning. Sydney will be another game and i really believe that Haddin must go. Despite Healey talking him up all test he was woefull. Poor batting, dropped catch and standing out of position that then puts the whole slips field out of place is not good enough. We have depth in this position with probably two keepers ahead of him and three when Paine recovers.

Harris in the squad for Sydney but you would think that he would probably carry the drinks and that the 11 will remain changed, although without the flexibility that Watson gives I guess they could go with the 4 quicks..

Shame that Tim Paine isn't fit and in form to put more pressure on Haddin, very average with the gloves and it's not like he even comes close to making up for it with the bat.

Haddin's pretty safe I think, when he got made v/c as a reward for a series of really poor batting displays, I realised that he is in no danger regardless of what he does. He's like Punter, untouchable. And Clarke is skipper so he's safe. And they won't get rid of Hussey yet either.

Shaun Marsh needs to score some runs in Sydney. They've shown little patience with the younger players so he can't expect to be given more than a test or so in the team without scoring. You need to be over 30 or Phil Hughes for that to be granted you.

Michael Clarke’s average for 2011(calendar) ended at 38.63, which is marginally better than his 2010 effort of 36.71.
Brad Haddin’s average for 2011(calendar) ended at 20.94 with a top score of 80.
Ricky Ponting has averaged 31.92 for 2011, 36.95 for 2010 and 38.77 for 2009.
Michael Hussey has averaged 42.50 for 2011, 50.89 for 2010 and 36.55 for 2009.
Phil Hughes avearged 26.93 for the 2011 calendar year.
Shane Watson average 24.09 for 2011 calender year and 42.71 for 2010 calendar year.

The above probably explains a lot about Australia's batting fluctuations. The numbers are far from exciting. Ponting and Hussey will be safe for the rest of the summer, but Hussey was out three times in the second innings and because of India's fear of technology it probably cost them the Test match.Clarke seems to make a big score and then goes to sleep for 6 innings.Whilst this continues to occur then Australia is vulnerable especially in the second innings when Australia looks very fragile. India is showing their usual touring lack of heart and want to get back to the flat decks of India and parochial support.India's last 14 away Tests have resulted in 3 wins 4 draws and 7 losses.They have played Sri Lanka, West Indies, South Africa England and now Australia.

Our batting is a joke.

Punter is getting away with murder. He really is. Clarke not far behind though at least he has started scoring tons again.

Haddin, bahahahahaha.

exactly right, the team will be unchanged going into sydney, they wont risk Watson, and no one deserves to be dropped asides Haddin.

Im trying not to get to far ahead of myself, but that was a huge result for out team. The bowling attack has come on in leaps and bounds this calendar year and is beginning to look very settled, it was only one test match but siddle, pattinson and hilfenhaus all worked together so well. All 3 were just consistently hitting great areas at speed, something that starc and johnson cannot do.

Harris, served us well, but he is cooked. The bowlers are all performing too well to see him back in the team. Cummins will come in once fit you would assume but that wont be until the next tour.

The batting order is a little more tricky, was thrilled with ed cowan's debut, i thought that he showed he can deliver at test level and also with his success in the first dig, it allows us to put watson in at say 5 or 6, where he belongs so we can utilise his brilliant bowling.

To be honest i'm not entirely sold on Warner yet, the jury is still out for mine, despite his media love. Ponting and Hussey delivered when required and have cemented there positions in the team for Sydney and beyond.

Marsh despite many thinking that he is our best batsman, may be dropped if he fails again in sydney for the return or Watson.

The real question is where does watson fit in when fit? and who makes way. Hussey and Ponting look in form, so unlikely wither will be sacrificed, Cowan, Marsh and Hussey i feel will be fighting it out in sydney for 2 positions.

Let's not get too carried away. It was a great win but our problems are hardly solved. The bowling attack worked well and while it is encouraging, they will need more time. In a year or so, all three bowlers could be dropped so you never know.

As for the batting, we're struggling. Both Ponting and Hussey were out several times and it was only the no-DRS for the series that saved them. I will say that Ponting seems to be scoring a lot more runs of late though, consistently good for 50's and 60's at the moment. Clarke's looked the best but seems to find a way to get himself out.

A long way to go before the team is settled but the start has been bright.

I can't even remember the last time Punter made a test ton, but apparently it's OK to make a few shaky 60's here and there and be aged 37 and still remain in the test side. Dropping Kawaja has to be one of the biggest mistakes the selectors have made in a long time. Nuff said. And keep this bowling attack how it is for a while and f*ck Harris right off. Can't bowl 5 overs without hurting himself and why break up a winning bowling combination? My rant is over..

Is Mitchell Johnson officially the forgotton man of Australian cricket? I hope he hasn't over committed himself because his pay packet next year could be a little short.Pattinson is just going from strength to strength, Siddle who was described as a meat and potato bowler by a fellow scribe, just keeps bowling and bowling and perhaps understanding that there is a fair bit of competition, and has cranked up the pace. Cummins, Harris, Starc, Johnson, Bollinger plus a few other up and coming quicks are all fighting for a spot which is long overdue. Still staggers me how Nannes never got a chance at Test level. He was by far the quickest bowler in Australia at one stage.McDermott looks like he is doing a great job and got the bowlers hitting the right spots. The batting is another issue and clearly the old boy's club i.e Langer is alive and well. Time for a change of batting coach and overhaul of the batting line up.Someone should actually tell Haddin that he is allowed to move his feet when he bats.Maybe he thinks he is playing baseball? Disgrace!

Back