Test XI Selection Thread

That first Test once again highlighted how poorly Australia plays spin. Bayliss has probably dispelled a few myths about the Australians and the Poms now have belief. Their batting is still ordinary as they showed in the second Test against the Kiwi's. Haddin holds the catch and Root is out for a duck and the Poms are probably lucky to get 200. Harris is a huge loss. Just keeps up the pressure whereas Johnson is bowling rubbish. Clarke refusing to have a beer with the Poms is weak and typical of Clarke. The quicker he retires and Smith takes over, the better for the game. Clarke and Ponting have really dragged Australian cricket to a new low with their antics. The Kiwi's exemplify all the good things about cricket. They play hard but zip their mouths and show respect for their opponents. Time for Watson to be shown the door. He can look back at his career and ponder a lot.One of them won't be that he never got a chance. I'd like to see Smith go back to 5 and get Shaun Marsh at 3. Mitch Marsh has to come in for Watson and Voges can at least claim to have played a few Test matches. I would consider Voges for an Indian tour as he would do well over there. If Starc is not fit then Siddle has to come in for his last hurrah. Poms are going to be hard to beat from here on.

Time for a new team,

Steve Smith(capt), Fawad Ahmed, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Peter Nevill, Mitchell Starc, David Warner, Burns and one more bat?? who.

He does as he is up the top of the order in the bushrangers sheffield shield team

I absolutely agree that he's worth a try but he does need to have a good Shield season to warrant selection in my opinion. I'm not so sure though that we should be going for all out youth at this stage. I would be balancing the team with some senior players (some might be a little unpopular!) but I feel that this will ultimately give Australian cricket the greatest chance of sustained success in the future. My team against Bangladesh would look like this...

1. D.Warner
2. S.Watson
3. S.Smith*
4. J.Burns
5. A.Voges
6. M.Marsh
7. P.Nevill+
8. M.Johnson
9. M.Starc
10.N.Lyon
11. F.Ahmed

What I will say is that the Watson, Voges, Nevill and Ahmed won't have very many chances to prove their worth; probably this tour and that will be it as waiting in the wings are more than capable replacements in Bancroft, Finch, Khawaja, Agar, Wade, S.Marsh, Maddinson and Cowan. Playing Watson as an opener is controversial but it will give us the opportunity to play 2 spinners with 4 quicks; a really well balanced team suited to sub-continental conditions.

Thoughts??

I absolutely agree that he's worth a try but he does need to have a good Shield season to warrant selection in my opinion. I'm not so sure though that we should be going for all out youth at this stage. I would be balancing the team with some senior players (some might be a little unpopular!) but I feel that this will ultimately give Australian cricket the greatest chance of sustained success in the future. My team against Bangladesh would look like this...

1. D.Warner
2. S.Watson
3. S.Smith*
4. J.Burns
5. A.Voges
6. M.Marsh
7. P.Nevill+
8. M.Johnson
9. M.Starc
10.N.Lyon
11. F.Ahmed

What I will say is that the Watson, Voges, Nevill and Ahmed won't have very many chances to prove their worth; probably this tour and that will be it as waiting in the wings are more than capable replacements in Bancroft, Finch, Khawaja, Agar, Wade, S.Marsh, Maddinson and Cowan. Playing Watson as an opener is controversial but it will give us the opportunity to play 2 spinners with 4 quicks; a really well balanced team suited to sub-continental conditions.

Thoughts??

I think it looks pretty good.

Prepare to get destroyed for picking Watto haha. ;)

For Bandladesh

Cameron Bancroft
David Warner
Joe Burns
Steve Smith
Adam Voges
Peter Nevill
James Faulkner
Mitchell Johnson
Peter Siddle
Nathan Lyon
Fawad Ahmed

Would have thought if they were going to go the experienced route they probably give it to Cowan. Who knows with them really.

I wouldn't mind Klinger actually, experienced and has decent form behind him. Have to say I think Bancroft will be there one way or the other, it's exciting for him and also WA cricket.

Would have thought if they were going to go the experienced route they probably give it to Cowan. Who knows with them really.
They seem to be prepared to try and start to build something new. Might be a couple of tough years ahead but we will see.

He does as he is up the top of the order in the bushrangers sheffield shield team

Finch 288 n.o and not even considered. Left right combination perfect, and if the bowlers stray they will be slaughtered. The biggest problem Finch had was his technique falling over to the offside. He looks like he may fixed this.
Michael Klinger-202 n.o has been a run machine for the past few seasons and does not even get a look in. Pointless picking players because they are young or have promise. Select them based on performances. Khawaja has been tried and he has not been upto it. Now they are trying him again.

Re: Australian Test XI - Selection Thread

No doubt Phil "I have never made a test run outside of Durban" Hughes will go, the selectors love him no matter how shit he plays

As for Bailey? Where does the love of Bailey come from? He has a worse record than White and is older although I did see someone talking him up as a young player recently :D
Harsh call now that it's been a year since he passed away.

Got anything positive to say?

My thoughts on australia doing a rebuild...

Give the team a chance to find it's feet under new skipper steve smith.

Given there's no watson, clarke, haddin in the team.

Finch 288 n.o and not even considered. Left right combination perfect, and if the bowlers stray they will be slaughtered. The biggest problem Finch had was his technique falling over to the offside. He looks like he may fixed this.
Michael Klinger-202 n.o has been a run machine for the past few seasons and does not even get a look in. Pointless picking players because they are young or have promise. Select them based on performances. Khawaja has been tried and he has not been upto it. Now they are trying him again.

Bancroft should have been given the opening spot. Right hander and the perfect foil for David Warner at the top of the order plus he has had pretty decent form for the last year or so.

Klinger was apparently close to selection but it was decided that both he and Voges in the middle order was a no-go due to their ages.

Bancroft should have been given the opening spot. Right hander and the perfect foil for David Warner at the top of the order plus he has had pretty decent form for the last year or so.

Klinger was apparently close to selection but it was decided that both he and Voges in the middle order was a no-go due to their ages.

Bit of WA bias probably?

I know I'd be the same if we were talking about a Vic player.

Back