Test XI Selection Thread

Re: Australian Test XI - Selection Thread

eddiesmith;384931 said:
More NSW obsession, Cameron White is a better bowler and batsman
Turn the paranoia off Eddie, it's just the typical premature overhyping of new talent. The buzz around Mitch Marsh is even worse.

If Victoria ever gave their young guns a proper go then we'd probably see the same talk surrounding some of their players. But then, I don't recall you being on here in October grizzling that Jon Holland was heading off to India ahead of guys like Krezja.

Caesar;384949 said:
But then, I don't recall you being on here in October grizzling that Jon Holland was heading off to India ahead of guys like Krezja.

Swish :D

Boris;384921 said:
I'm not completely sure on Smith. I'm not sure he is a good enough batsman or a good enough bowler for the side. This is number 6 we are talking about, he really does need to be able to bat at this level, and I have always heard of him as a bowling all rounder (correct me if I'm wrong). If he were in the side I would have Haddin batting above him.

It would be good, however, to have another bowler. There are times when all 5 bowlers seem down on luck and nothing goes their way, and when this happens they are too young and inexperienced to regroup and make things turn their way. If everything starts going their way then they blast through an opposition, but if one good partnership starts against them they seem to implode and every ball they are screaming at something or someone. Safety in numbers, I say.

But the only trouble is that he is just another youngster to add to the list that is already too big on the list. By my calculations by then end of careers, Hughes, Smith, Hauritz, Siddle, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus, and probably any other young batsman lining up for a turn will all retire at around the same season. And is that just going to be great in 15 years time?

If Hilfenhaus, Bollinger and Hauritz last until their post 40's, they are freaks of nature.

* smith is only 20 yo.....yet has already proven to be mature beyond his years.
* he has proven himself under preasure on the international stage already. ipl
* he is a leg spin bowler with prodigious talent. as exciting as warne was.
* he is a better batsman than warne ever was, and has a simmilar bowling talent at the same age.
* turns it like warne did at simmilar age.
* he is from NWS.....hehehe..(im from qld...)
* he is an alrounder. alrounders have a habit of making up for a bad dig with the bat or ball. one trick ponies...have one trick. if it goes. they got nothin...

breeno;384952 said:
If Hilfenhaus, Bollinger and Hauritz last until their post 40's, they are freaks of nature.

But they are all around the same ages. Wouldn't be unlikely for them all to retire at once at the end of a big series, say an Ashes series. This is presuming they are still around, then again if someone else comes in for them then they might be around the same age, or at the Siddle, Hughes, Smith age group.

I don't want to drop people because they don't fit an exact age, but there is a limit to how many guys you can pick straight out of the cricket academy.

Boris;384973 said:
But they are all around the same ages. Wouldn't be unlikely for them all to retire at once at the end of a big series, say an Ashes series. This is presuming they are still around, then again if someone else comes in for them then they might be around the same age, or at the Siddle, Hughes, Smith age group.

I don't want to drop people because they don't fit an exact age, but there is a limit to how many guys you can pick straight out of the cricket academy.
I don't think that's a major concern. Hilfenhaus is 26, Bollinger and Hauritz are 28. As a spinner, Hauritz's shelf life is a few years longer than a paceman like Doug. Aside from the fact nobody knows when anyone is going to retire or be dropped, there's enough staggering there for it not to be too much of a problem.

Caesar;384985 said:
I don't think that's a major concern. Hilfenhaus is 26, Bollinger and Hauritz are 28. As a spinner, Hauritz's shelf life is a few years longer than a paceman like Doug. Aside from the fact nobody knows when anyone is going to retire or be dropped, there's enough staggering there for it not to be too much of a problem.

I could be conspiring a little here, but not long ago I put together retirement figures from the 40s until 2008. There was an increasing trend of 'mass retirements' in Australian cricket. More and more where there being sides completely mostly of one generation. That file I saved went down with my old computer to the grave, but I might consider working it all out again, actually rather interesting to see the trend of having more and more of the same age cricketers coming into the side, and at one point having a team made almost entirely of 33 and above, save for 3 who were all in their 30s anyway. Again it may be a conspiracy theory, but there is a definite pattern.

And besides, what's the harm in picking 2 young 20-25 year olds and a 33 year old who has years of domestic cricket behind him? You know what you are going to get from the older guy, and they young 'uns are exciting prospects for the longer future plan.

North should go on the tour to New Zealand, it's hardly fair to judge him on his efforts at Hobart, he had to come in with nothing to gain in the first dig.

Caesar;384949 said:
Turn the paranoia off Eddie, it's just the typical premature overhyping of new talent. The buzz around Mitch Marsh is even worse.

If Victoria ever gave their young guns a proper go
then we'd probably see the same talk surrounding some of their players. But then, I don't recall you being on here in October grizzling that Jon Holland was heading off to India ahead of guys like Krezja.

I seem to recall we gave a 21 year old the captaincy a few years back...

The Ox;385042 said:
I seem to recall we gave a 21 year old the captaincy a few years back...
And when you did, he was widely hyped and received quite preferential treatment fast-tracking him into the national team setup. What exactly is your point?

Currently, Victoria is not a team renowned for fostering young homegrown talent.

Yet they have Jon Holland, Cameron White, Peter Siddle, Clint McKay, Andrew McDonald, Rob Quiney all having been picked for Australia recently and all in the side young

Currently have Aaron Finch and James Pattinson in the state side who are both quite young and Finch has been given plenty of chances over the years

Plus with Matty Wade who isnt home grown, but you cant really call Victoria old anymore

Get White in there. He's the best man for the no. 6 spot in the country.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385053 said:
Bushranger?

Here we go again.:eek:

I support Australia first and foremost. Can you name a player that fits exactly what we need right now better than White?

North for one.

White would fill the position admirably but I think there are better candidates then him at this stage.

North, Bailey, Klinger, North.

The list goes on.

Still, you can't drop batsmen every time they hit a form slump otherwise you end up going in circles dropping batsmen every time they hit an inevitable form slump.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385055 said:
Bailey, Klinger, North.

I've thought about this, and I believe White would do better than all 3.

Bailey: Older than White, averages just 39 in FC cricket, does not bowl.
Klinger: although the best bat in the Shield by far for the last two years, he is a top order batsman, should not be at 6, does not bowl.
North: The only one I'd have close. He just doesn't look comfortable enough at Test level imo, is terribly out of form, bowls pies, and bats slow.

My case for White is that he fits what we need perfectly. A good middle order bat, can bat with speed but can also show maturity when needed, contrary to popular belief he can actually bowl (leg-spin too, which could work well in conjunction with Hauritz's offbreaks), is only 26, and is a fantastic slip fieldsman - probably the best in the country. I don't think anyone else could fit that as well as him.

You make an admirable case for White, it is not out of the question for him to fill that role, but as I said, I feel their are better candidates in line at this point in time.

Yeah, I understand, I've tried to sway many people with my argument. It's long shot, but I'd love to have White at six. :p

North, if he gets his form back in New Zealand, is probably a better option, maybe. :p

Klinger is certainly a better bat, but wouldn't fit in at 6. Anyway, I'm repeating myself.

I am looking forward to next years tour match between England and Victoria, probably be the toughest match England play for their entire tour

As for White v North, White easily, its one thing to say North is in bad form, but he has hardly had a great form patch yet, way too unreliable and not many players would get away with his numbers and still be in the side after 12 months, the only players who come close are Watson and Symonds, must be something about them wanting hacks at no6, I guess White is too good for the no6 spot

Back