Test XI Selection Thread

Re: Australian Test XI - Selection Thread

Mousey;385060 said:
Klinger is certainly a better bat, but wouldn't fit in at 6.

Completely true, but neither does North.

I think half the reason he is struggling a little now is that he is batting in a position he has never batted in before. Look at Ponting, when he was batting at 5 and 6 he was quite terrible, soon as he went to number 3 off he shot to become Australia's best batsman ever, save for the Don. I think if North was up the order where he should be, he would be off in leaps and bounds. North doesn't have a 'fast' speed setting, he bats in one mode, and bats that one mode well. What happens the when, he is in the 6 position, fast runs are needed? Number 6 and 7 are the two spots where you are more than likely at some stage in almost every match need quick runs from. That's why players like Gilchrist, Martyn, Symonds, Haddin, Watson, etc bat there so well, and it is a tactic that Australia has used for quite some years now. Klinger, IMO, actually fits in number 6 better than North.

That comes to another situation, though, is that North can replace nobody in the top order. Which means that if North and Klinger aren't suited to there, they can't get in the team in the first place.

IMO North was brought into the team for what I think was preparing Hussey for an early retirement, then bring Watson into number 6. Unfortunately for the selector's plans, but fortunately for the team, Hussey finds some form and cannot be dropped now. North is left stranded at 6 after making a couple of good centuries and Watson has to open because there is no other spot for him. I think if Hussey didn't make any runs, Hughes would still be much closer to the side, and they would carry his dead weight while he fixed his problem at the level he should have stuck at once selected, not dropped for a crazy Queenslander with no planning (can't say it didn't work though).

Another thing I saw earlier is was mentioning Bailey's FC average. I don't believe in looking at averages for domestic levels because quite often the first half of a young cricketer's career is horrible. Take Nofke as one example, average of 34 with the ball after all seasons, but last three seasons has averaged 21. It was a first couple of bad years that brings that up. The same has happened to Bailey, if I remember correctly, averaging better now than he was (correct me if I'm wrong). I haven't seen much of Bailey, so I can't tell if he should be around the side at all.

Don't get me wrong, I like White, but not sure he should be playing Test cricket just yet. Personally I would actually like Dave Hussey to fill that spot, but it won't happen.

Yep lets go with recent averages

Cameron Whites are 46, 58 and 50 for the last 3 seasons with 47 last year in the Australia A series

The older George Bailey has 56, 38 and 43 to go with 3.5 for the Australia A series last year

Bailey is getting talked up because he has an alright start to the season and people think he is quite young

It would be great although he would then become the scapegoat for Australia failing to win the Ashes as always happens when a player makes a double century it becomes their fault the attack couldnt take 10 wickets in over 4 sessions even though they had the 2 best bowlers in the world playing...

I would actually prefer to get a South Australian into the line up, just for the sake of having each of the states.

Who is performing in South Australia to start with?

Boris;385177 said:
I would actually prefer to get a South Australian into the line up, just for the sake of having each of the states.

Who is performing in South Australia to start with?
Michael Klinger :p

He has truly relished the chance to play on the Adelaide Oval every 2nd week and for a team where winning doesnt matter

eddiesmith;385178 said:
Michael Klinger :p

He has truly relished the chance to play on the Adelaide Oval every 2nd week and for a team where winning doesnt matter

I know of Klinger, and I like him. Doesn't give a s*** about anything and just hits the ball.

I remember one interview with him at lunch on the final day, SA were going for a draw. Can't remember the interviewer, but he asked: "South Australia are obviously playing for a draw here, so you would be looking to block out these final two sessions and stay in for as long as possible, am I correct?". Klinger just looked at him acknowledging the stupid question with "Definitely not. I'm scoring a double century today whether we are playing for the draw or not." He made 160 something in just as many balls.

Cosgrove is too, but he's another name getting thrown around with no real justification behind it.

Vettori
McCullum

I think that's about all isn't it? Maybe Ross Taylor. :p

Watson, Katich, Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, White, Haddin, Johnson, Hauritz, Siddle, Bollinger

Watson,Hughes,Ponting,Clarke,Katich,Hussey,Haddin,Johnson,Hauritz,Siddle/Hilfinhaus,Bollinger.

Dont rate Hughes but reckon he will plunder a 2nd rate Kiwi attack,Hussey belongs at 6

Mousey;385058 said:
A good middle order bat, can bat with speed but can also show maturity when needed, contrary to popular belief he can actually bowl (leg-spin too, which could work well in conjunction with Hauritz's offbreaks)

No, just no..

:p

Shield wont mean much at all, only 2 players who might be considered for the test squad will be playing in any of them and thats Hughes and North

Ljp86;106298 said:
15 October 2006
After today's and Friday Night's performance a few words sum up Cameron White..he's a hack, no doubt about it.

That was posted by Ljp back in 2006, I found after I did a search. Plus I'm sure he doesn't think that to quite the extent anymore either.

Things have come so far since then. Really interesting to go back and read some old threads, especially on the up and comers that are around today.

Back