Test XI Selection Thread

Re: Test XI Selection Thread - NZ Tour

Sockit151;391389 said:
When is the sqaud for NZ tests being announced??

One would think the extras needed would be flown over a week beforehand. I would expect White to be in that.

The test squad will be named tomorrow, but George Bailey has been named as Clarke's ODI replacement.

Australian squad - Simon Katich, Shane Watson, Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Hussey, Michael Clarke, Marcus North, Phillip Hughes, Steven Smith, Brad Haddin (wk), Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Hauritz, Ryan Harris, Clint McKay, Doug Bollinger.

North very lucky after the lean summer he has had.

If Clarke returned to Australia because of the Lara Bingle scenario, he shouldn't be allowed to play IMO.

Kram81;391856 said:
Australian squad - Simon Katich, Shane Watson, Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Hussey, Michael Clarke, Marcus North, Phillip Hughes, Steven Smith, Brad Haddin (wk), Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Hauritz, Ryan Harris, Clint McKay, Doug Bollinger.

North very lucky after the lean summer he has had.

Even if I am a Victorian I can still ask, where is Cameron White?

That is a fair enough group.

It was either Smith or White. As everyone is saying to me, use Steve Smith as a batsman. He just averaged 75 for that season, White averaged 50. Fair enough call if you ask me. White unlucky.

While it may be argued white has more experience he has not had the greatest record for consitency. See if the boy wonder tag affects Smith too much.

all that white lacks is ability. worst idea for a test team since several bowlers of various origins not mentioning any names like Siddle, Krejza, or McGain

White is close is probably capable of being a test batsmen, but at this stage you'd be tempted to go with Steve Smith and Hughes ahead of him.

When White played in India in 2008 he wouldn't have marked him down as a top 6 batsmen.

He averages over 45 in each of his last 4 first class seasons in Australia, doesnt get to play much being away with Australia so often in the last 2 years, but he would be getting picked like so many before him on his ODI performances against international opposition as hundreds in ODIs are alot harder than making double centuries against SA in Adelaide

Look at Ryan Harris, he hasnt been picked due to his very average first class record, he is there because the West Indies and Pakistan couldnt play him

eddiesmith;392186 said:
He averages over 45 in each of his last 4 first class seasons in Australia, doesnt get to play much being away with Australia so often in the last 2 years, but he would be getting picked like so many before him on his ODI performances against international opposition as hundreds in ODIs are alot harder than making double centuries against SA in Adelaide

Look at Ryan Harris, he hasnt been picked due to his very average first class record, he is there because the West Indies and Pakistan couldnt play him

Ryan Harris has had some outstanding last seasons. Don't use his whole career as a guide. Late bloomer.

Marcus North should be told to stay home, what a joke!!

Another duck today in the shield game, leave White or someone else over there to take his spot, he is not upto standard..

eddiesmith;392186 said:

Ryan Harris is a more accomplished bowler than Peter Siddle - who if anything has regressed since his promising performances against South Africa in the 6 test match home and away series.

Ryan Harris is a good selection, and I applaud the selectors for that.

I also agree with the selector's decision to leave White at home. While he has improved at ODI level, there are still concerns over his ability with the bat at test level.

He had 7 knocks in India and averaged 29 in the 2008 test series, and really didn't look the part with the bat.

Yet still averaged 29 batting at no8...

Has improved alot over the last 18 months when given a chance for the first time at ODI level to actually make runs

As for Harris and Siddle, so one has got worse since playing the no1 nation in the world yet still went alright in England and the other has gotten worse when moving on from Pakistan and the Windies to NZ...Plus Siddle has a far better first class average

But if the selectors pick on performance then Harris will only play in case of injury

Harris is a case of a late bloomer though, don't go by his overall career stats as they are pointless in terms of things.

He has only played any decent cricket while he has been with Queensland, and even then only of the last two or three years.

He's been in the top 5 best bowlers of the last few years, and is no mug with the bat, used to be classified an all rounder.

I have a lot more trust in a guy that's been playing for a few years than putting in a guy who was playing club cricket only 4 years ago, and less than 18 months playing for state before national selection.

I don't mind him playing in Tests, but he does have to get some domestic games under his belt first. Hasn't played since last season with proper 4 day cricket, more than one game in a row.

In short, shouldn't really be on tour, but is definitely an option I'm not going to resist terribly.

I cannot believe they are taking North. He would have to be one of the most out of form batsmen in shield cricket at the moment. Forget his poor 6 tests this summer he has been worse recently playing for WA he has been unable to get it off the square.
I don't think Steve Smith is anywhere near ready yet for test criicket but at least he is in exceptional form and at the top of his game. Good to see him doing something with the ball today with 7 fa.
White should be in the squad though he has grown in stature signidicantly over the past 18 months to 2years. He used to get tied down and throw his wicket away but even last night in the ODI against NZ he showed he is a far more mature cricketer and got us over the line.
I am extremely concerned about our bowling stocks though. Bollinger, Johnson, Hauritz and Watson will do the job but in my opinion neither Harris or McKay are test standard bowlers. In test cricket batsmen will be able to wait for the bad balls which will occur rather than trying to smash the good one which happens in the shorter forms of the game. Its a shame neither Siddle or Hilfenhaus are fit because we need them.

Back