Test XI Selection Thread

Despite all the talk around player changes and everything I think we have to be a little more reasonable.

This is the side that will be fielded come the first ball of the Ashes:
1. Watson
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. North
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Bollinger

The only exception will be either Hauritz, Hilfenhaus or Bollinger moving aside if they wish to play Siddle, which may or may not be likely dependant on how he performs up until then, and indeed how the others currently in the team perform as well.

Hussey just failed badly in his two innings for WA. He could be on the way out. After North's ton, he'll probably keep his spot, but I can definitely see Hussey going. Judging by selector's comments and recent tour selections, you'd think one of Ferguson, Khawaja and Smith will get his spot.

Hussey just failed badly in his two innings for WA. He could be on the way out. After North's ton, he'll probably keep his spot, but I can definitely see Hussey going. Judging by selector's comments and recent tour selections, you'd think one of Ferguson, Khawaja and Smith will get his spot.
I can't see him being dropped. There's a difference between should and will happen, even if he is on the very cusp of being dropped, he will at least get the Gabba Test to prove himself, so I think my line up still holds.

I can't see him being dropped. There's a difference between should and will happen, even if he is on the very cusp of being dropped, he will at least get the Gabba Test to prove himself, so I think my line up still holds.

Oh, absolutely, there's every chance that's how it will go, but then Hilditch also suggested when asked about Ferguson that he is in the mix for the Gabba, and that was before Hussey's failures. There are starting to be some sounds coming from the selection panel which are promising. Too early to tell how serious they are though.

Usman has more runs, more centuries and a better average since the 07/08 season in Australian FC cricket than White does.
Yes, that's definitely it. It wasn't because he made a major change to his batting technique that took some getting used to. It's definitely the pitch, because he's been shit at the start of every seaso... oh, wait, nevermind.

Oh you mean like this season where the pitch was green and he failed? I am sure he would have been fine playing at the GABBA in March ;)

As for Khawaja, yeah he has more runs since White hasnt played for Victoria in the last 2 years, include the year Khawaja debuted and White shoots ahead, but of course we couldnt include the last time White was allowed to play for Victoria, it wouldnt suit the argument. But it is funny though to compare it, for a bloke who is such a gun and the other such a first class failure, there is nothing between them in those 3 years, wouldnt believe it listening to the spin machine up north

Despite all the talk around player changes and everything I think we have to be a little more reasonable.
The only exception will be either Hauritz, Hilfenhaus or Bollinger moving aside if they wish to play Siddle, which may or may not be likely dependant on how he performs up until then, and indeed how the others currently in the team perform as well.

Most likely 12 in reality, Siddle could be in for either Hauritz or an unfit Bollinger.

The NSW v Victoria game next week might have a big impact on some selections, alot of the players in the mix all going head to head, the poor NSW batsmen have to face a quality attack but I would expect a very flat pitch so they can rack up the big scores then the Australia A game the following week against Englands 2nd XI, a big couple of weeks coming up

As for Khawaja, yeah he has more runs since White hasnt played for Victoria in the last 2 years, include the year Khawaja debuted and White shoots ahead, but of course we couldnt include the last time White was allowed to play for Victoria, it wouldnt suit the argument. But it is funny though to compare it, for a bloke who is such a gun and the other such a first class failure, there is nothing between them in those 3 years, wouldnt believe it listening to the spin machine up north

Not talking about runs (which is unfair to compare given the different amount of cricket they've played), I'm talking about averages. You compare both batsmen's records since Khawaja's debut, Khawaja is ahead of White in average, centuries per game (quick calculation, correct me if I'm wrong), and 50-100 conversion.

Not talking about runs (which is unfair to compare given the different amount of cricket they've played), I'm talking about averages. You compare both batsmen's records since Khawaja's debut, Khawaja is ahead of White in average, centuries per game (quick calculation, correct me if I'm wrong), and 50-100 conversion.

If you include his double century this year when White has yet to play he sneaks ahead, but over the last 3 years, no White has the better average and more runs which are fair as they had the same amount of innings in that time

Khawaja does have more centuries, White more scores over 50, I think it was 5 and 5 for Khawaja and 3 and 10 for White

If you include his double century this year when White has yet to play he sneaks ahead, but over the last 3 years, no White has the better average and more runs which are fair as they had the same amount of innings in that time

Khawaja does have more centuries, White more scores over 50, I think it was 5 and 5 for Khawaja and 3 and 10 for White

Why does it matter whether White is yet to play or not? The point is FC form leading into the Tests.

This is the side that will be fielded come the first ball of the Ashes:
1. Watson
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. North
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Bollinger

Hi Boris,

Having had the benefit of watching the last 3 days at the GABBA it is clear that the stumps have been moved. North retains his place and Okeefe as a bolter who can bowl darts and is a genuine allrounder comes in for Hauritz(having said that I do not underestmate the batting talents of Hauritz for a minute).

The only outstanding question is M Hussey?? I think the selectors might give him one more chance in front of Kawahja/Ferguson in that order. Greg Chappel watched Usman at the Gabba and left as soon as he got out to a loose shot but on a very difficult pitch. I would pick him and I suspect so may Greg.

It is hard to believe that we are all talking dropping one M Hussey when not long ago he was being compared by averages to DGB. That is what makes this game the toughest of them all.

Why does it matter whether White is yet to play or not? The point is FC form leading into the Tests.

I was just saying Khawaja isnt ahead of White as much as anyone thinks and he only passed him because of that double century v SA, we will see who has more runs after they both play against each other next week

Cameron White is no where near test class as a batsmen. Have you been smoking the wacky tobaccy?

The only genuine chances for a test berth at the Gabba are Ferguson and / or Kawaja.

I sense Hussey will be test squad announced on 15th November, but I am not yet convinced he will take a spot in the first eleven. Having him in the squad will allow him to push for selection in the Shield match starting on the 17th of November.

Outside of the above, it is too hard to speculate on selection with so many shield fixtures, ODI fixtures and tour games still be played, not to mention weather/pitch conditions at the Gabba which will only be quantifable closer to the starting date.

As Warnie says, chill and relax. Still a while to go yet until the first ball is bowled.

The Australian selectors are hopeless and too stupid and gutless
to make changes. You can't lose as many international matches and lose them so
convincingly as we have without some serious changes being made. You can't just
sit back and take beatings like we are with players doing well at domestic level
and not getting their chances.

Test Side

1. S. Katich (vc)
2. S. Watson
3. P. Hughes
4. R. Ponting (c)
5. M. Clarke
6. U. Khawaja
7. T. Pain
8. S. O'Keefe
9. R. Harris
10. B. Hilfenhaus
11. D. Bollinger
12. S. Smith/C. Ferguson

One Day Side
1. S. Watson
2. P. Hughes
3. R. Ponting (c)
4. B. Haddin
5. C. Ferguson
6. C. White (vc)
7. S. Smith
8. R. Harris
9. X. Doherty
10. D. Bollinger
11. S. Tait
12. S. O'Keefe
T20 Side
1. P. Hughes
2. D. Warner
3. B. Haddin
4. S. Watson
5. D. Hussey (vc)
6. C. White (c)
7. A. Finch
8. S. Smith
9. R. Harris
10. D. Nannes
11. S. Tait
12. D. Christian

The Test Side will be:
1. Watson - going ok, our best bowler and making runs but still goes out to his own brain fades.
2. Katich - steadies the ship. Plays slow and steady and is hard to get out. Good player. Needs to bowl more.
3. Ponting - Needs to learn to keep his pull shots on the ground. This weakness is costing him. Maybe drop down to 4?
4. Clarke - Over rated cricketer. Averaging about 35 in the last year or so. Not reliable when the team is in trouble.
5. Hussey - Is past it. Still a chance to find form but unlikely.
6. North - Makes one big score per series then nothing. Handy bowler but not required. Shouldn't be playing.
7. Haddin - Can bat. Can't keep. Will not make runs when we need them. Pain can keep and can bat.
8. Johnson - Poor bowler. Living on a couple of good series years ago. Can't bowl accurate or get the seam up and he's had years to do it. Time to move on.
9. Hauritz - Just an average bowler. Doesn't turn it. Flights it ok. Accuracy has been poor latly and that's all he's got.
10. Bollinger - A pretty decent bowler but needs to bowl straighter.
11. Hilfenhaus - a good swing bowler who lacks bowling smarts and variation.

The Australian selectors are hopeless and too stupid and gutless
to make changes. You can't lose as many international matches and lose them so
convincingly as we have without some serious changes being made. You can't just
sit back and take beatings like we are with players doing well at domestic level
and not getting their chances.

Test Side

1. S. Katich (vc)
2. S. Watson
3. P. Hughes
4. R. Ponting (c)
5. M. Clarke
6. U. Khawaja
7. T. Pain
8. S. O'Keefe
9. R. Harris
10. B. Hilfenhaus
11. D. Bollinger
12. S. Smith/C. Ferguson

One Day Side
1. S. Watson
2. P. Hughes
3. R. Ponting (c)
4. B. Haddin
5. C. Ferguson
6. C. White (vc)
7. S. Smith
8. R. Harris
9. X. Doherty
10. D. Bollinger
11. S. Tait
12. S. O'Keefe
T20 Side
1. P. Hughes
2. D. Warner
3. B. Haddin
4. S. Watson
5. D. Hussey (vc)
6. C. White (c)
7. A. Finch
8. S. Smith
9. R. Harris
10. D. Nannes
11. S. Tait
12. D. Christian

According to Peter Roebuck in the Sydney Morning Herald the side is to be announced on the 15th November meaning that the performances in the following games will not be taken into account-

AUSTRALIA A V ENGLAND
QUEENSLAND V SOUTH AUST.(shield)
VICTORIA V WESTERN AUST. (shield)
NSW V TASMANIA (shield)

If that is the situation Hilditch should step down now.

As an aside quite like your teams with the exception of Phillip Hughes. His game is way too loose and as such too unreliable IMO.

Not really unexpected, it means they can manage workloads heading into the test so decide if they want the bowlers to rest or need match practice, plus those games end only 5 days before the 1st test, they will probably want the side together atleast that early

It depends what sort of squad they name on the 15th. Typically they name 13 and then drop one player; they may name a bigger squad of 15 or so if there are a few players on the bubble and they want to see how they perform in the final first class matches.

I agree with Eddie that they can't really afford to wait til 4 or 5 days before the Test to name any sort of squad at all.

It depends what sort of squad they name on the 15th. Typically they name 13 and then drop one player; they may name a bigger squad of 15 or so if there are a few players on the bubble and they want to see how they perform in the final first class matches.

I agree with Eddie that they can't really afford to wait til 4 or 5 days before the Test to name any sort of squad at all.

From my perspective this selection process is so open that I would settle for the 5 day gap and derive the benefit of selecting form players. Irrespective, if the 5 days is not sufficient why was the programme designed with such a glaring anomally. Either way Cricket Aust. has got it wrong imo.

I'm not overly fussed. I mean, it's not like we haven't had a ton of first class matches already to determine who's in form and who isn't. And given the proximity to the first Test England will probably not be turning out a full strength side for the A game anyway.

I'd be happy if they named a large squad and pared it down after the final matches.

I'm not overly fussed. I mean, it's not like we haven't had a ton of first class matches already to determine who's in form and who isn't. And given the proximity to the first Test England will probably not be turning out a full strength side for the A game anyway.

I'd be happy if they named a large squad and pared it down after the final matches.

Agree Ceasar on the naming of a large squad as the best solution at this time.

England have already indicated they would send their main bowlers to Brisbane rather than Hobart so I still regard the programming as flawed given that this is how this match is to be approached. I would have thought the Aust. selectors would have wanted this game as a very real test of the fringe players and would have scheduled it accordingly?

Back