Test XI Selection Thread

Hey guys,

Well what a shit fight this morning. I am so sick and tired of watching both Ponting and Clarke. Australia has missed leadership ever since Steve Waugh walked off the ground for the last time. To say that Ricky Ponting is a great or even good captain is a joke and what’s more, to say the Clarke is the air apparent!!! You must kidding!!!!

I can’t get over how protected today's player are. What ever happened to using the shield comp for what it’s for, choosing the best players at the time tso make the best team possible. Ok so I know that you need to keep a team together to form a solid unit, but it’s starting to get to a point where it seems like you could shag a selector’s wife and still retain your spot.

I am a huge baseball fan, and I think that the model that they use with "out of form" players is fantastic. These teams used their AAA & AA teams to move players up and down when they are struggling. It works really really well and keeps everyone in the top level working extremely hard to retain their place in the squad. Its almost like some of the Aussie cricketers have too much of a primadonna attitude, Its about time that the selectors got a massive shake up as well as some of the players in the current team.

I don’t want to sound all doom and gloom, we have some great cricketers in our side, this likes of Haddin, Watson, Kaditch, Siddle, and Hussey and when you look at these guys they usually quietly go about their business. As I write this North just played a stupid arse shot and is walking on his way back to the pavilion. Sorry but its time that selectors and out of form players stop making excuses, push them back to shield lever (and not just for 1 game) make them earn their way back into the Australian Squad. Once this starts to happen Australian Cricket will return to what it once was.

On injury, if you’re hurt or not 100% then you don't play! It’s simple. I don't care who it is.

To think that a "broken" player is keeping a potential 100% fit player from stepping in to take their spot and not giving their country/team the best possible chance to win is crap. Once again I look at something like the "DL" (disabled list) list they have in the Major League Baseball. When a player goes on the DL they are not surrendering their spot on the team, they simply take the time they need to recover and when they come back sometimes they play once game prior to retaking their spot in a lower grade. The good thing about this is it gives the player time to recover without worrying about loosing their spot (especially if they have been in great form) and the player that fills in already knows that they are only there to fill the spot but can use it as a great opportunity to show what they can do on that level and could be a great stepping tone to get noticed at the level.

For Clarke to crap on about "I feel good etc" what a load of crap, you could tell he was struggling and I think after watching him this morning he still is.

Anyway, that my little rant for the day. I guess as many of you I am getting very frustrated with the way that Australian Cricket is at the moment. I look forward to seeing some others opinion to some of my own.

Cheers guys
Craig

Our batting the past 18 months has been woeful.
Ponting, hussey (not the last two tests),North and more recently Clarke have really struggled to make consistent scores or any scores in fact. but the truth is no one in sheffield shield is scoring consitent runs apart from Mcdonald (whos now unavailable due to injury) so im afraid until the young fellas start scoring consistent and big runs we are going to be stuck with NORTH and CLARKE.

goodbye the years when we had players like jaques, Hodge, Lehman, Rogers breathing down the necks of hayden langer ponting martyn. :(

i find it a disgrace that a Guy like hughes gets dropped after two average games and an absolute spud of batsman like north continues to get the nod for test duty.... FOR **** sake selectors every batsman in australia is better than that dud north

i find it a disgrace that a Guy like hughes gets dropped after two average games and an absolute spud of batsman like north continues to get the nod for test duty.... FOR **** sake selectors every batsman in australia is better than that dud north
come on, he's scored 5 test centuries - he's not that bad. Just remember, Steve Waugh got a far far longer stint with no runs than North, and he went on to become Australia's best batsman of his era.

Waugh wasn't bloody 30 when he started in the test team. North has played like this his whole career. He's not in Waugh's class so there is no point comparing them.

Just to break things up here.

What's happened with bowling speeds lately? Siddle used to be able to hit 150km/h, so far his top has been 148 for his hat trick ball last test with some adrenaline to help. He barely gets above 135 now. Bollinger has been dropping into the high 120s regularly, down on his norm. Johnson didn't get much above 140 even with his effort balls. Hilfenhaus was low 130s. Harris has been getting some speed up occasionally but only in bursts, otherwise he's down with the rest.

Watson has done the opposite. He's now hitting mid 140s quite often.

Am I just remembering past years wrong and this is normal, has paced dropped or are the speed guns different? The English bowlers seem a bit down on their past norm as well.

Re: Australian Test XI - Selection Thread

I'm not completely sure on Smith. I'm not sure he is a good enough batsman or a good enough bowler for the side. This is number 6 we are talking about, he really does need to be able to bat at this level, and I have always heard of him as a bowling all rounder (correct me if I'm wrong). If he were in the side I would have Haddin batting above him.

It would be good, however, to have another bowler. There are times when all 5 bowlers seem down on luck and nothing goes their way, and when this happens they are too young and inexperienced to regroup and make things turn their way. If everything starts going their way then they blast through an opposition, but if one good partnership starts against them they seem to implode and every ball they are screaming at something or someone. Safety in numbers, I say.

But the only trouble is that he is just another youngster to add to the list that is already too big on the list. By my calculations by then end of careers, Hughes, Smith, Hauritz, Siddle, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus, and probably any other young batsman lining up for a turn will all retire at around the same season. And is that just going to be great in 15 years time?

I agree Boris but with the benefit of watching the Adelaide test Smith must come into the picture. I have only seen Doherty rarely but I am dumbfounded at his selection. He is a non cricket person who cannot bowl at this level(first class average??) cannot field and batting?? Not his fault but certain selectors who should have known. (Ponting selection??)

For what it is worth I believe the major problem is poor game planning, too many B/shit one day games and lack of inclusion of promising young players which has resulted in players not ready being chosen(Doherty).

Tough times but lets see how we respond.

I might add that looking at the English batsmen the superior technique in every regard is scary. It hurts but I enjoyed every shot and one Ian Bell is yet to be heard.

I agree Boris but with the benefit of watching the Adelaide test Smith must come into the picture. I have only seen Doherty rarely but I am dumbfounded at his selection. He is a non cricket person who cannot bowl at this level(first class average??) cannot field and batting?? Not his fault but certain selectors who should have known. (Ponting selection??)

For what it is worth I believe the major problem is poor game planning, too many B/shit one day games and lack of inclusion of promising young players which has resulted in players not ready being chosen(Doherty).

I might add that looking at the English batsmen the superior technique in every regard is scary. It hurts but I enjoyed every shot and one Ian Bell is yet to be heard.
Doherty is a good first class player, don't let his average fool you. He was pretty average at the start of his career but has come along in leaps and bounds, but still not an international level player. Keep him in the ODI squad because he's a great ODI bowler, but he is bowling practically the same in Tests, which doesn't work.

I don't know what to do with Smith. If you want to play him, who do you bring him in for? Do you swap him for Doherty or North? Is he more a batsman or a bowler? Mind you doesn't really matter, both facets need to be corrected. Not sure he can do the job in either case, so my opinion is no, not at Perth.

I'm not as worried about the batting, as far as I'm concerned the guys waiting in the wings will make little difference, the bowling has been too good for the Australian skill level as a group. That's what happens when you don't have good bowlers to face in the nets.

The bowling needs some sort of revamp. Never liked Troy Cooley, hope he disappears soon. It was easy to be a bowling coach with McGrath, Warne, Lee and Clark in your team and all in form. Gets a bit tougher when you have to do something other than have drinks with them.

Australia will be hoping for enough rain to hold out for a draw, start all over again at Perth.

Four years ago Australia used 12 players, the only change was when Martyn retired and Symonds came in, nobody was dropped. This year 14 have been used, and it's only the second Test, where they are losing badly. Let's see if we break a record :D

The techniques look better as they are not being tested by the track and the bowling has been poor. Plus the English unit are far more confident even before this series started, that is huge in terms of technique.

At present, Huss is the only one of our blokes who looks organised, Haddin plays lots of fresh air shots but thank goodness he is getting away with it.

Watson is still not a convincing opener for me, he doesn't go long if you know what I mean. He's looked good in comparison to the others in the line-up as the middle order has been duff for some time.

These players must be considered for selection

Marsh - When he's fit he scores runs.

Khawaja - Great early form but needs to keep making runs.

Blizzard - averages nearly 60 in FC cricket and is making plenty of runs this year.

Robinson - Is opening for WA and making some handy scores.

Quiney - Made more scores over 50 this year than any one else.

Copeland - Bowling well.

Smith - A better all round option than North.

O'Keefe - Seems to be able to bat and bowl quite well.
Here's an Idea for a Test XI:
1. Katich
2. Watson
3. Hughes
4. Hussey
5. Blizzard/Quiney
6. Haddin
7. Smith
8. Hauritz/O'Keefe
9. Harris
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Bollinger
Ponting's finished. Clark's not fit and not reliable. North Can't bat.​

One of the reasons Test cricket is dying the death of a thousand cuts is due to the roads that curators prepare.Channel 9 want a 5 day Test and what they want they get. Forget any more team selections lads, we are clearly not good enough and we have to now start the rebuilding process. Get rid off Clarke and Lee from the NSW teams and start playing the kids.There are a lot of hacks playing Shield cricket who will never play for Australia and they need to move on.The selectors have failed to accept that the Australians had any deficiencies and they should be sacked and replaced by people with more forward thinking and planning. Nielson is a joke as a coach and should be replaced and who ever is the bowling coach should go back to school because he has no idea.

I would really like to know what the bowling coach is doing. Some of the brainless bowling that has been on show in the last three series is doing my head in. I've played sport enough to know what a difference a good coach can make and I was not highly-talented like these guys are.

The techniques look better as they are not being tested by the track and the bowling has been poor. Plus the English unit are far more confident even before this series started, that is huge in terms of technique.

Hi Beeswax,

In Pontings own words "their skills and thought processes let them down". Cant comment on thought processes but have already made the point on technique/skills.

For what it is worth-

Katich-unortodox though effective technique who could not compare with Strauss who has a classical left handers technique and temperament to go with it.

Watson-plays out in front of himself at times seems to lose concetration. Superb driver of course. Would rather see him at 6 still.Not in the same class as Cook as an opener. Cook has all the shots great temperament and unbelievable concentration.

Ponting-has always "walked" to the ball just short of a length outside/on off early in his innings and still does so. Trott looks almost complete other than playing off his thigh. Minor problem it would seem. Very organised and great player off his pads, which is this teams strength'
Clarke-Showed what a good player he is in the last innings but gets out to soft dismissals too often and goes too hard early in his innings to balls outside off. Will hopefully regain his real form. Pieterson- Awseome talent who does the text book and unorthodox exceptionally well when he is in form. For Doherty to be bowling to him is a joke and I think he actually played within himself at times.

Hussey-showed that he has the best technique/skills/thought processes foe Aust. at present. Collingwood sound technique but not in Husseys class.

North-Shame he didnt go on as I thought in both innings he looked very good. But dont think he will get another chance. Bell well if you want to show your son how to bat video this guy. He mightnt be the greatest talent about, but his technique is outstanding. So still on impact,perfect head position,good hands,great bat speed.................. Beware Aust.

Haddin Very good bat particuarly against average bowing. Another who plays in front of himself at times and gets caught on crease at times. Beautifull hitter of the ball straight. Keeping- adequate to brilliant to average. Prior-dont rate him-hate keepers who always remove bails! Great energy and enthusiasm helps to make up for lack of talent.

Harris Bowled really well IMO and should stay. Nightmare with the bat. Broad didnt do himself justice but not far short of Harris

Doherty-Poor selection. say no more. Swann-dont rate him quite as high as the experts but a little higher than XD.

Siddle great effort as always but doesnt do enough with the rock to be world class. Love his attitude. Anderson Genuine swing bowler who does enough in the air and off the pitch to get the edge. What more do you want????

Bollinger-I am a fan but not at his best and just didnt swing it. Finn Not overly impressed but used his height to advantage and has deceptive pace. Could cause problems in Perth? (7-2 England 2 equal) says it all. Cheers

We
Doherty is a good first class player, don't let his average fool you. He was pretty average at the start of his career but has come along in leaps and bounds, but still not an international level player. Keep him in the ODI squad because he's a great ODI bowler, but he is bowling practically the same in Tests, which doesn't work.

I don't know what to do with Smith. If you want to play him, who do you bring him in for? Do you swap him for Doherty or North? Is he more a batsman or a bowler? Mind you doesn't really matter, both facets need to be corrected. Not sure he can do the job in either case, so my opinion is no, not at Perth.

I'm not as worried about the batting, as far as I'm concerned the guys waiting in the wings will make little difference, the bowling has been too good for the Australian skill level as a group. That's what happens when you don't have good bowlers to face in the nets.

The bowling needs some sort of revamp. Never liked Troy Cooley, hope he disappears soon. It was easy to be a bowling coach with McGrath, Warne, Lee and Clark in your team and all in form. Gets a bit tougher when you have to do something other than have drinks with them.

Australia will be hoping for enough rain to hold out for a draw, start all over again at Perth.

Four years ago Australia used 12 players, the only change was when Martyn retired and Symonds came in, nobody was dropped. This year 14 have been used, and it's only the second Test, where they are losing badly. Let's see if we break a record :D

Well said Boris with the exception of Doherty who we agree to disagree on.

I dont think the time is right to suddenly start developing young players. OK maybe we have fallen down there but the Ashes are still up for grabs and in fact I would go the othe way and select the 33yo D Hussey to bolster the batting and would open with Mike who has done it all before.(Katich unavailable).

Whilst I know I am the only one along with his mother to retain North I would and I would replace XD with S Smith/S Okeefe to also provide batting depth. I actually hope this is another Peter Taylor selection as Okeefe is the man but cant get a game with NSW weet bix side!!! So my side which importantly bats down to 8 is-

M Hussey
S Watson
R Ponting
M Clarke
M North
D Hussey
B Haddin
S Smith/S Okeefe
R Harris
P Siddle
D Bollinger

And thats the last time I hope we are all looking for answers!

Based on the current situation as at today, this would be my preferred team:
1. Shane Watson
2. Phil Hughes
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Mike Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Brad Haddin (wk)
7. Nathan Hauritz
8. Mitchell Johnson
9. Peter Siddle
10. Doug Bollinger
11. Ryan Harris
12. Usman Khwaja (extra batsman)
13. Ben Hilfenhaus (extra bowler)

Just to add a bit on my post earlier.. I think Ponting still has some great games left... he's too good to be dropped at this stage.. if i were a selector, i would play him for 1 more series. His second innings at Gabba was worth a look.. showed some class there.. so i still think he's good enough to retain his position in the team.

Its not the batters, our bowlers don't seem to get enough wickets nowadays..

In my opinion this is one of the worst, if not the worst Australian test sides that we've had in a long time.
It seems hard to believe that it was only four years ago that we beat England 5-0 in Australia.

And the Adelaide test was one of the worst performances by an Australian team that i have EVER seen.
The batting in teh first innings was downright disgraceful. How you can get ran out on the first ball of a test match i can't figure out.

I have a major gripe with Ricky Ponting still being the Australian Captain let alone playing, period. a LOT of Australia's wins in the past can be attributed not to Ricky Ponting's captaincy but by the fact we had some of the greatest players of all time in the team, namely Glen McGrath and Shane Warne.

And the fact that Ponting didnt want Johnson to be dropped shows his head isnt in the right place.

There is absolutely NO WAY Australia will win this Ashes series. If England do indeed win the series, it will be the first time in many years that England have won the Ashes here. Also South Africa beat us a few years ago in a test series, again for the first time in many years.

I think Ponting has to be dropped permantly. His batting of late has been non existent. Marcus North also has to go. Doherty should be placed by Steve Smith. He has earned his stripes whereas Doherty hasnt. Why they would pick a youngster to debut in the Ashes is downright baffling.

Going back to my original statement, let me put it this way. If the Australian test team of four years ago played the Australian test team we have now it would be a flogging.

With Katich now out surely Hughes gets another shot. You'd have to think North's time is up but how many changes are we going to make going into just the third Test? Copeland is pushing for selection, as is Smith. Do we bring Johnson back in? Does Khawaja come in for North?

Do we finally realise that, while Watson makes a terrific Opener, he's better suited to #6 where he can be bowled more and not have to worry about being thrown into bat straight away. If he does go to 6, (which he won't in the short term) we're effectively throwing another fresh Opening pair to the wolves.

I think Katich is almost done as an International player. He's been an awesome cricketer but his body is letting him down now, thumb problems and now that ankle problem too. Get Hughes in and let him settle for god sake.

In - Hughes, Khawaja, Smith

Out - Katich, North, Doherty

That'll make it 5 changes from the first 11. Too many?

That'll make it 5 changes from the first 11. Too many?
In normal situations, yes, way too many. I'd settle with one or two. But this Ashes series at the moment defines Australian cricket, a loss here could spell English dominance for the next ten years. Right now I don't care about the long term, just bring in whoever will do the job. Hell, ask Hodge to come back and see what he can do :p.

M Hussey
S Watson
R Ponting
M Clarke
M North
D Hussey
B Haddin
S Smith/S Okeefe
R Harris
P Siddle
D Bollinger
Crookers, I like D.Hussey and is one of the best batsmen around at the moment, but he has never been in contention for a Test spot in his life so I'm not sure he's the right man mentally for the job. Khawaja is in just as good form and knows he's on the brink of selection, plus if you do look to the long term he wins the points there. There's only room for one middle order batsman and going head-to-head I think Khawaja just wins.

Also Katich, Watson and Hussey are the most in form batsmen (plus Haddin, but you never know with him), and two of them are at the top. Have you noticed the trend of the last four Australian innings? Top two get off to a reasonable start then the collapse where only Hussey brings them back from total embarrassment. Hussey's needed down the order IMO, especially with Katich out. Spread the talent out :D

I'd bring in Hughes, there really isn't another choice for me. The other choice is Khawaja and it's either him or Hussey opening then. Hughes has faced these bowlers before, every bit of experience counts. Not sure on his current form though?

I have no idea what to do with the bowling attack. I'm tempted to leave them be and just hope the batting improves to an extent where Australia cannot lose.

Back