Test XI Selection Thread

Yep have been looking at that. D Hussey missed out because they were looking forward so please explain Doherty, Haddin, Harris, Hilfenhaus, Johnson, this is the has been list. If it really is the future how about Ahmed, Bird, Paine, Cutting, Khawaja, Henriques and Rogers. The directionless rubbish is getting boring. And six figures for Watson? please i am fronting the boss for a raise if that fizzer is worth that.

Pretty much agree with what you've said but Rogers is not exactly the future at 35 haha. Plus I think Harris and Johnson still have a bit to offer Australian cricket.

Yep have been looking at that. D Hussey missed out because they were looking forward so please explain Doherty, Haddin, Harris, Hilfenhaus, Johnson, this is the has been list. If it really is the future how about Ahmed, Bird, Paine, Cutting, Khawaja, Henriques and Rogers. The directionless rubbish is getting boring. And six figures for Watson? please i am fronting the boss for a raise if that fizzer is worth that.

Certainly some interesting selections. Cummins lucky to get a contract considering he hasn’t played for a while. How they overlooked Bird is beyond me. Hilfenhaus still has role to play..

They can’t give Ahmed a contract because he is not a citizen. Khawaja I suspect is finished. Just came off the India tour, didn’t play a Test and now not given a contract in a team where batsmen are at a premium. Love to know what it is he has done. Perhaps tweet Hoggy as he would know. Johnson and Haddin are being rewarded under old boys network clause. Henriques & Smith both overlooked so read into that what you will. I can’t see either going on tour if they have not been given a contract. George Bailey given a contract for playing one day cricket. They obviously don’t rate him in the long form of the game. Doherty and McKay both rewarded for their one day exploits. Harris has been a very good asset for the Aussies and has worked his backside off the past season. He has been rewarded with a one year contract which is deserved. With Clarke as skipper I cannot see how D.Hussey would ever get a contract or get selected for the Test team.

Invers just said that Watson should be back bowling soon and hopefully will be able to bowl in the Champions Trophy and The Ashes.

Better start working out who is going to replace him. He has broken down three times. Is Watson good enough to play purely as a batsman?
Innings: 75
Not Outs: 2
Aggregate: 2580
Average: 35.34
Highest Score: 126
50s: 19
100s: 2

Better start working out who is going to replace him. He has broken down three times. Is Watson good enough to play purely as a batsman?
Innings: 75
Not Outs: 2
Aggregate: 2580
Average: 35.34
Highest Score: 126
50s: 19
100s: 2

After 75 Innings NO!. This guy is simply not even close to the hype. He should be on last rights not big contracts. As for the earlier post my point was that the reasoning for not giving Huss a contract was the "looking to the future" line from the board. I don't disagree with some but the selections of fizzers like Johnson makes a joke of this reasoning from the board.
Khawaja has been very poorly treated and i can only think he is simply not one of Clarky's chosen few. The team is in very deep trouble and has no future at this stage with there being no direction from the board and a total lack of leadership from the captain.

I like him but Khawaja has to be one of the most overrated players going around, gets bogged down far too easily against quality bowling. It's fine at Shield level when there are more loose deliveries to put away, but it's a worry at Test level with the significant step up in the bowling standards.

Interesting, Invererity saying that Chris Rogers and Adam Voges could potentially be looked at for the Ashes, didn't see that coming.

Here's the XI to pick for a chance at winning in England...

Chris Rogers
Ed Cowan
Mark Cosgrove
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke
Dave Warner
Brad Haddin
James Pattinson
Mitchell Starc
Ryan Harris
Nathan Lyon

Plus:

Ashton Agar
Steve Smith
Moises Henriques
Matthew Wade
Peter Siddle
Jackson Bird
James Faulkner

I, too, couldn't help but snigger at the sight of Cosgrove's name. Was there a time when he actually shed some kilos (before inevitably putting them back on again)? He can make runs though, in his defence (actually, in his attack).

Here's the XI to pick for a chance at winning in England...

Chris Rogers: Desperately need someone with a sound technique.Fits the bill.
Ed Cowan: Playing for his career next 10 Tests.
Mark Cosgrove: Unless he drops 50kgs never to play for Australia.Liability in the field. Waste of talent.
Shane Watson: The next 10 Tests will make or break him.Wonder if he will fall over again with injury?
Michael Clarke: Can see him becoming another Alan Border if they keep losing.
Dave Warner: He either opens or he doesn't play. Does not have the technique to bat down the order.
Brad Haddin: Too old and has failed on too many occasions. Paine or Wade ahead of him.
James Pattinson
Mitchell Starc
Ryan Harris
Nathan Lyon

Plus:

Ashton Agar: Needs to play 2-3 years in Shield & County before throwing him into the deep end.
Steve Smith: Not upto it. Better alternatives. Not offered a CA contract.
Moises Henriques: Surprisingly not offered a CA contract. Not upto Test cricket.
Matthew Wade: Burning bridges really quickly. Looking over shoulder for Paine and Haddin.
Peter Siddle:
Jackson Bird
James Faulkner:Bowler who bats. We have enough of those. We need batsmen who can make decent scores.

So Shane Watson has given up the Vice Captains job. One really wonders if it is his game or the state of the leadership after India. Clearly he does not care much about the team only Shane. Maybe he will give some of his lotto win contract back now he is likely to be out of the team on form before the England tour is out.

They probably wont even bother to name a sucessor for VC unless something happens to Clarke given the complete lack of another obvious option.

I, too, couldn't help but snigger at the sight of Cosgrove's name. Was there a time when he actually shed some kilos (before inevitably putting them back on again)? He can make runs though, in his defence (actually, in his attack).
I know people have different builds and find it hard to keep in shape but he's comically overweight, what does it say about the guy's attitude if he can't get himself at least reasonably fit. Anyone that was fair dinkum would hire a personal trainer and work at it. Let's be honest he doesn't want to work hard enough to get a baggy green and is happy to coast at state level where he can still eat hamburgers and knock back beers.

They probably wont even bother to name a sucessor for VC unless something happens to Clarke given the complete lack of another obvious option.

I think they should possibly risk, bringing in Bailey and making him vice captain. I think Australia needs to pull out a wild card before the Ashes.

I think they should possibly risk, bringing in Bailey and making him vice captain. I think Australia needs to pull out a wild card before the Ashes.
Now thats not such a bad idea. It will give him the time and exposure he will need to take over the captains job after the the ashes has been and gone and it is finally realised that Clarke can not do the job and having been a selector he is now toxic to the team.

Good shout. Problem is that the selectors keep going back to the guys who are not performing and changing their own criteria time and again too. Some players not picked because of age/future of the team, then other players who are past their prime or carrying too much on the waist make it in. Its really baffling at the moment.

Back