Test XI Selection Thread

Bailey had a very poor Shield last summer averaging only 18 from 8 matches.. otherwise you would think he'd definitely get a go. Still think he's worth a shot with as shown to step up and has experience/leadership.

On the pre-game show they're saying Johnson should be in for the first Test, love to see the meltdown on Big Footy if that happens :D

Long way out but this would be my team atm..

Rogers
Warner
Watson
Clarke (c)
Smith
Bailey
Haddin +
Johnson/Faulkner
Siddle
Harris
Lyon

Rogers
Warner
Watson
Clarke (c)
Smith
Bailey
Haddin +
Johnson/Faulkner
Siddle
Harris
Lyon

Down to 7 have almost picked themselves, including I think Bailey.

The bowling will be determined by fitness as much as anything else. Harris & Siddle are certs provided they are fit. Lyon's only serious opposition comes from Fawad Ahmed. The last spot between Johnson & Faulkner could go down to the wire.

Hughes is the other batting option I guess, highly doubt that they would go back to Cowan in the foreseeable future either.

Haven't seen enough of Ahmed to comment but the Aussie selectors do like a wrist spinner..

Rogers
Warner
Watson
Clarke (c)
Smith
Bailey
Haddin +
Johnson/Faulkner
Siddle
Harris
Lyon

Not so sure about Warner, runs in the Ryobi Cup at Nth Sydney and how they compare with runs at the international level, ..... maybe 50 %........ it all depends on how people perform at Shield level before the first test. I like the chances of both Finch and Maxwell, if they can only score runs Warner and Lyon are in trouble.

Finch and Maxwell? You must me a Victorian ;) Warner is a tool but has made runs previously Test level ave 37 isn't awful. imo now is most definitely not the time to experiment have to stick with someone for a bit.

Agree with Ryobi Cup form being not that much use, people are talking up Shaun Marsh's chances over it which is stupid.

Finch and Maxwell? You must me a Victorian ;) Warner is a tool but has made runs previously Test level ave 37 isn't awful. imo now is most definitely not the time to experiment have to stick with someone for a bit.

Agree with Ryobi Cup form being not that much use, people are talking up Shaun Marsh's chances over it which is stupid.

yeah I'm a Vic :),

just saying that Finch has come a long way and has a better technique than Warner, bats the same way and if he isn't a nob should be played before Warner, mind you, if Maddinson or Silk are scoring runs and aren't nob's I'd play them before Warner too, anyone really.

Maxwell's more interesting, only because he out bowled Lyon in India, but then Watson was a better captain in India than Clarke as well, regardless a bowlers job is to get wickets, and Nafe. is struggling, he's not getting wickets for himself, he's not holding down an end, and he's not winning games when he has the chance, if there are any spinners that know what they are doing out there then I'd select them too.

I actually want Australia to win the Ashes, we don't want to lose 4 times in a row to the Soap dodgers and Warner is the best option atm, if he fails then muck around and experiment/blood players whatever. The odds of someone like Finch or Maddinson imo making more runs than him this series is very slim.

Not so sure about Warner, runs in the Ryobi Cup at Nth Sydney and how they compare with runs at the international level, ..... maybe 50 %........ it all depends on how people perform at Shield level before the first test. I like the chances of both Finch and Maxwell, if they can only score runs Warner and Lyon are in trouble.

I'm a Victorian. But how can you play down Warner's performances in the short form of the game, and then push for Aaron Finch?

Both in great form mind you.

I'm a Victorian. But how can you play down Warner's performances in the short form of the game, and then push for Aaron Finch?

Both in great form mind you.

I'm just saying that runs at a lower level, on the flattest deck and the smallest ground in Australia, compared with runs vs India, in India, and my bias against Warner mean I want him out of the team as fast as possible.

Also the Poms will bowl fast and short to Warner, who IMHO, is not a great player of that sort of bowling, vs Finch who has a better technique.

I fully expect the selectors will choose Warner ahead of Finch, I just hope they don't.

Back