Test XI Selection Thread

Not so sure about Warner, runs in the Ryobi Cup at Nth Sydney and how they compare with runs at the international level, ..... maybe 50 %........ it all depends on how people perform at Shield level before the first test. I like the chances of both Finch and Maxwell, if they can only score runs Warner and Lyon are in trouble.

Finch's first-class record is pretty poor though...

Just for the record >

Aaron Finch's 1st class average is 29.56 :eek:

Try and remain as objective as possible but it's admittedly no easy at times as a human.

Honestly I'm having trouble understanding where you are coming from, just on the words written the last couple of replies can be two cheap shots in a row, the last one can easily be read as you being human but being unwilling to allow my human fallacy. I've got opinions and I'm willing to explain them, I'm happy for you to disagree, but if cheap shots is all you want well there isn't much point in me posting at all. Just saying......

I simply do not believe in Warner as an opener for test cricket. Still believe he could be a game changer settled at 6. ODI's different.
Still can not buy into Haddin, he is just crap, surely we have someone better than this.
Rogers
Hughes
Watson
Clarke (c)
Smith
Warner
Haddin ????
Faulkner
Siddle
Harris
Lyon

Just for the record >

Aaron Finch's 1st class average is 29.56 :eek:

Finch's stats in last season's Sheffield Shield was 68 runs at 11.33 with a highest score of 34 although he only batted six times in four matches. Should be nowhere near a test call-up, then again neither should Warner.

I simply do not believe in Warner as an opener for test cricket. Still believe he could be a game changer settled at 6. ODI's different.
Still can not buy into Haddin, he is just crap, surely we have someone better than this.
Rogers
Hughes
Watson
Clarke (c)
Smith
Warner
Haddin ????
Faulkner
Siddle
Harris
Lyon

Wade and Hartley would be the contenders. Wade is a reasonable bat but has had no form over the past few months. Hartley is best gloveman in the country but averages under 30 with the bat which doesn't really solve the side's problem.

I think that Hartley deserved a shot at some stage and his gritty batting underrated but the selectors obviously have him stamped as a state player. Might have a chance if Haddin, Wade and Paine are all injured at the same time but even then they would probably go with someone like Nevill..

The A team to play England.

Moises Henriques (Captain) NSW
Glenn Maxwell (Vice-Captain) VIC
Trent Copeland NSW
Ben Cutting QLD
Alex Doolan TAS
Callum Ferguson SA
Jon Holland VIC
Usman Khawaja QLD
Michael Klinger SA
Shaun Marsh WA
Tim Paine TAS

Looks like they have gone for a very evev spread across all the states, probably don't want to weaken any single Shield side too much.

By the way that Inverarity is talking smiling George might almost already be in for Brisbane.. Warner only made 23 this morning c+b Hilfenhaus, they will want him to make some red ball runs to make their decision easy.

At this stage I'd just about have Ahmed as favourite to play at the GABBA in front of Lyon. Rightly or wrongly, the selectors obviously don't rate Lyon when he was dropped for a spinner as innocuous as Doherty in India and then give a 19 year old 1st crack ahead of him in the Ashes.

At this stage I'd just about have Ahmed as favourite to play at the GABBA in front of Lyon. Rightly or wrongly, the selectors obviously don't rate Lyon when he was dropped for a spinner as innocuous as Doherty in India and then give a 19 year old 1st crack ahead of him in the Ashes.

The only reason to give Ahmed the nod is if he has the game craft and bowling skills. Lyon is clearly our best spinner and i would be disappointed if he was shafted again because the selectors have another fit of fancy.

Lyon is clearly our best spinner and i would be disappointed if he was shafted again because the selectors have another fit of fancy.
Yeah I agree unless Ahmed does something special and we should stick with Lyon but with the selectors obviously not 100% confident in him and loving wrist spinners I think there is a very decent chance he will replace Lyon at the GABBA.

Back