Test XI Selection Thread

I am rapped that Rogers has made runs for himself, but really we need to start looking at who is going to replace him.
Rogers
Klinger
Watson
Clarke
Maddinson
Smith
Paine
Faulkner
Siddle
Harris
Ahmed

So are you as raped for Hughes making a double century? You make overtones that Marsh should make his move well Hughes has done just about all he can, but every time he even looked like he was going to settle to a position he got shafted. Marsh simply is not there and never will be, similar is this Agar fascination. He is a kid, should never have played in England and needs to be forgotten for a couple of years while he learns the game. Lyon has been the best performer with the ball for the past few years and the stuff around he has had to deal with has been a master class in incompetent leadership.

You team is a set up for some more young batsmen to be abused and crushed then disposed of. This will be a tough tour for Australia and not a time to bring inexperienced kids into the team. I do agree with Paine and Faulkner, both more talented and in better touch than Haddin and Johnson. Australia need to get over the poor and disorganised way they select teams. As for Clarke, i would think it is win this series or South Africa will be his last chance and a new captain will be required. You can only make excuses for poor leadership for so long before it looks like what it is, DENIAL, and that is not a river in Egypt.

I want to see the Australian batsmen making big 1st inning scores and not making cheap runs in the 2nd innings when the game is over. Warner has to average 60+ this series, whilst Bailey and Smith need to be on the 50 mark.

Unrealistic. If they bring home those sorts of numbers they will have had sensational series, not just achieved pass marks.

Pass marks IMO would be 45 for Warner, and 40ish for Bailey & Smith. In fact high 30's would probably be enough to see Bailey retain his place.

I sure hope they exceed pass marks and do in fact achieve sensational series and the numbers you have suggested.

Leading run scorers so far in the Shield

. Runs--HS--Ave
North 444 118* 111.00
Quiney 319 89 53.16
Smith 317 107 63.40
White 316 83 63.20
Rogers 297 117 49.50
Head 296 98 59.20
Handscomb 265 94 44.16
Warner 264 104 52.80
Hughes 252 204 84.00
Cooper 251 171 50.20

If Lyon doesn't do much first two matches, I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced. That's the biz with him. He gets replaced regularly so don't see why he'd play the whole Ashes.

They must be busting to get a leggie in.

Johnson will bowl like trash the first innings he is on the field. He'll be as nervous as hell.

Hey lads,

First time poster on here. I have knocked up a little article about Clarkey as a skipper in comparison to Cooke, AB, Chappell etc.

I think George is a good inclusion for this series, and it will help Michael from a game management perspective. Leadership is threadbare in the current side unfortunately, and it is an area of the game that England undoubtedly have the edge.

http://www.commentaryboxsports.com/australian/cricket/797-capitan-clarke

Hey lads,

First time poster on here. I have knocked up a little article about Clarkey as a skipper in comparison to Cooke, AB, Chappell etc.

I think George is a good inclusion for this series, and it will help Michael from a game management perspective. Leadership is threadbare in the current side unfortunately, and it is an area of the game that England undoubtedly have the edge.

http://www.commentaryboxsports.com/australian/cricket/797-capitan-clarke

"Captains shouldn't fear losing, but they should hate it".

That is pure Ian Chappell philosophy.

I think Chappelli and Taylor were standout captains.

Welcome too mate.

So are you as raped for Hughes making a double century? You make overtones that Marsh should make his move well Hughes has done just about all he can, but every time he even looked like he was going to settle to a position he got shafted. Marsh simply is not there and never will be, similar is this Agar fascination. He is a kid, should never have played in England and needs to be forgotten for a couple of years while he learns the game. Lyon has been the best performer with the ball for the past few years and the stuff around he has had to deal with has been a master class in incompetent leadership.

You team is a set up for some more young batsmen to be abused and crushed then disposed of. This will be a tough tour for Australia and not a time to bring inexperienced kids into the team. I do agree with Paine and Faulkner, both more talented and in better touch than Haddin and Johnson. Australia need to get over the poor and disorganised way they select teams. As for Clarke, i would think it is win this series or South Africa will be his last chance and a new captain will be required. You can only make excuses for poor leadership for so long before it looks like what it is, DENIAL, and that is not a river in Egypt.

*********************************************************************************************************
Good on Hughes for making 200, however let us stick to the facts. He is averaging 32.66 from his 26 Tests. His average against the Poms is 19.75 with a top score of 81n.o. He had a brilliant debut against South Africa when they bombed him with short pitch bowling. Opposition teams then worked out that he has no leg side shots and then it was all downhill from there. He is only 24 and time will tell if he has the character to come back. Interestingly Hughes was protected against facing South Africa a few years ago, and instead they sacrificed Quiney. He has supporters in high places.

I agree about Marsh. He needs to get out of WA and move down to Tasmania where there is nothing to do and the weather is cold and miserable. It might force him to focus in his cricket. Don’t kid yourself, he has a lot of ability. The problem is that kids nowadays are being paid fat State contracts to do nothing. No doubt he has all these overpaid CA coaches telling him how good he is.

Lyon is a stock bowler and will never win a match of his own back. Yes he is honest and will give you everything, but does not instill fear into opposition teams. Ahmed has that X factor. With respect to Agar how many kids do you know who come in at 11 and make 98 on their debut? He came in when the score was 9/118 and the Poms had bowled 20+ overs. He out batted your mate Hughes and looked like he was carrying him throughout the innings. His technique is very sound and he has more potential to develop than anyone out there fighting for selection as a batsman. His bowling is a distraction and not doing him any favours at the moment.

I am not a fan of recycling the same tried and failed batsmen. If they are not upto it then move them on and give the kids a chance. Some will fail but one or two will emerge.

With respect to Clarke, who would you replace him with? Watson is not upto it and once again we have to endure the will he or won’t he play. He did the same in England and now doing the same in Oz. Bit of a Diva Watson. Warner shouldn’t be in the team. Bailey is trying to establish himself.

*********************************************************************************************************
Good on Hughes for making 200, however let us stick to the facts. He is averaging 32.66 from his 26 Tests. His average against the Poms is 19.75 with a top score of 81n.o. He had a brilliant debut against South Africa when they bombed him with short pitch bowling. Opposition teams then worked out that he has no leg side shots and then it was all downhill from there. He is only 24 and time will tell if he has the character to come back. Interestingly Hughes was protected against facing South Africa a few years ago, and instead they sacrificed Quiney. He has supporters in high places.

I agree about Marsh. He needs to get out of WA and move down to Tasmania where there is nothing to do and the weather is cold and miserable. It might force him to focus in his cricket. Don’t kid yourself, he has a lot of ability. The problem is that kids nowadays are being paid fat State contracts to do nothing. No doubt he has all these overpaid CA coaches telling him how good he is.

Lyon is a stock bowler and will never win a match of his own back. Yes he is honest and will give you everything, but does not instill fear into opposition teams. Ahmed has that X factor. With respect to Agar how many kids do you know who come in at 11 and make 98 on their debut? He came in when the score was 9/118 and the Poms had bowled 20+ overs. He out batted your mate Hughes and looked like he was carrying him throughout the innings. His technique is very sound and he has more potential to develop than anyone out there fighting for selection as a batsman. His bowling is a distraction and not doing him any favours at the moment.

I am not a fan of recycling the same tried and failed batsmen. If they are not upto it then move them on and give the kids a chance. Some will fail but one or two will emerge.

With respect to Clarke, who would you replace him with? Watson is not upto it and once again we have to endure the will he or won’t he play. He did the same in England and now doing the same in Oz. Bit of a Diva Watson. Warner shouldn’t be in the team. Bailey is trying to establish himself.

We will disagree on Hughes as i see much of the issue for him was poor management and lack of support. You say Ahmed has the X factor but he has also been on a hiding to nothing more than once and as you point out this is Test cricket not Shield. Captaincy is a big issue with not many to choose from. CA built themselves into a dark corner with Clarke and are now paying the price. I see no evidence to back up his supporters, his record is poor, team discipline is a failure and there is no cohesion. The time is near where the honest truth will have to be faced. You suggest throwing young batsmen to the wolves, well it might be similar with a new captain. Choose a young leader, give them a young team and stick with it.

Another hit and miss innings by Warner. Watson does not have a brain that head of his. Just have to rely in the bowlers to try and save the innings again. If Smith is going to stand up now is the time. Bailey just dropped... Oh dear....

Nairbe bowlers do not get the chances that batsmen receive. Ahmed has one ordinary game and you have written him off.
I wish the selectors would employ the same standards with the batsmen that you demand of the bowlers. Ahmed will have the Poms in knots.

Another hit and miss innings by Warner. Watson does not have a brain that head of his. Just have to rely in the bowlers to try and save the innings again. If Smith is going to stand up now is the time. Bailey just dropped... Oh dear....

Nairbe bowlers do not get the chances that batsmen receive. Ahmed has one ordinary game and you have written him off.
I wish the selectors would employ the same standards with the batsmen that you demand of the bowlers. Ahmed will have the Poms in knots.

Yes the innings has been a poor joke and don't worry Lyon will be punished for the batsmen failure. I appreciate you desperately want someone to give the poms trouble but i am not sure that Ahmed is the magician you seem to think he is. Warne has not been reborn and never will in our lifetime. Ahmed is not even better than McGill was so temper the rush to throw him to the wolves. If you read earlier posts from last series i am an Ahmed supporter, i have just seen enough inconsistency in his performances in SA on the A tour and in his limited shield time to feel that we don't need to over cook it. In the end it is not bowling that has been the problem for the last 20 tests. If the batsmen could post a few targets the bowlers might even be able to develop some better partnerships and strategies to improve. Lyon is no attach bowler but has always tied his end up well and with more support would be a consistent performer with his share of wickets like Tim May was. Settled batting that will be consistent is what is needed but in the current selection and leadership climate that will not happen. I will consistently maintain that Clarke must go as captain. Who will replace him? not sure but not Watson or Warner. I have advocated taking a risk with a younger player with leadership ability or i believe they are hoping Bailey can make it so he can be installed for 5-6 years while younger players are prepared. I also believe AB must be bought in to stiffen up the squad.

49 is a pass mark from a top order batsman who is expected to go on and make century? Far from a pass mark. He does all the hard work and then throws it away with a stupid shot. He was very lucky during his innings. If it wasn't for Haddin and Johnson Australia's inning would have been very poor.He has a chance to really punish the Poms today and if gets going Australia could declare by Tea or a bit later. Rain is expected so the Aussies will need time to dismiss the Poms. They did something similar against India a few years ago where they lost the 1st Test and then came back and won the series 2-1 in India. Would not right off the Poms just yet, but Australia has to win this Test. Whatever Marcus North is on, I want some. He made a stack of runs in England this season. Has to be considered for Bailey's spot.

I'd hardly describe the runs Warner scored in the first innings as 'lucky', played a poor shot to get out but was solid and batted quite sensibly until then.

It started as a bit of a joke on BF that Marcus North should be in the frame for Test selection with his start to the summer but his form has actually continued, 589 runs @ 118 now. Still hard to see the selectors going back to him though.

I'd hardly describe the runs Warner scored in the first innings as 'lucky', played a poor shot to get out but was solid and batted quite sensibly until then.

It started as a bit of a joke on BF that Marcus North should be in the frame for Test selection with his start to the summer but his form has actually continued, 589 runs @ 118 now. Still hard to see the selectors going back to him though.

Warner's first innings was typical, good start then throw it away. He has atoned with his second innings hundred though. And agreed, no chance will they select North.

Question, should the Aussies play two spinners in Adelaide? Could bowl Harris, Johnson, Lyon, Ahmed with Watson the third seamer or even bring in Faulkner for Bailey. Horses for courses, Adelaide will not be easy to win for us it is not a pitch that suites our style and we don't have that bowling attack that will create something from nothing if we play 3 seamers and one spinner.

Would be surprised if they even considered playing 2 spinners, don't see what's with all the hype around Ahmed is anyway from some quarters, could really see him copping a pasting at Test level..

Bailey didn't set the world on fire but they'll give him at least the next Test.

Would be surprised if they even considered playing 2 spinners, don't see what's with all the hype around Ahmed is anyway from some quarters, could really see him copping a pasting at Test level..

Bailey didn't set the world on fire but they'll give him at least the next Test.

Tend to agree, think they will go in unchanged to keep the feeling in the team and fair enough. Was only floating the idea. I do think Ahmed has potential but it needs to be soon as he is no kid. I think Faulkner was a bit hard done by when he did well in England and has been carrying some form.

If Lyon doesn't do much first two matches, I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced. That's the biz with him. He gets replaced regularly so don't see why he'd play the whole Ashes.

They must be busting to get a leggie in.

Johnson will bowl like trash the first innings he is on the field. He'll be as nervous as hell.

Well with the new ball he was trash but Clarke is handling him really well, and not persisting with him unduly. His bouncer was working like a dream.

Hope Adelaide has a tad more bounce to it than we all expect.

Well coming to the WACA and 2-0. I am sure someone out there predicted this, but not many.
Still believe Smith should not be in the team, but he offers a spin alternative...bowling his pies and picking up a cheap wicket here an there. This the only thing probably saving him. His first innings dismissal was embarrassing. If Australia keep winning Bailey will survive. Australia really owes a lot to Haddin. 94/54/118 at times when Australia was in real trouble. If Carberry had taken that catch what could have been? Felt for Carberry. really unlucky in both his dismissals. I wish Johnson would just shut up and bowl. He makes more of a statement sending them around their throats.The Poms need to get on their 7ft bowlers into that attack. The height with the bounce and some fire might return fire to the Aussies. Realistically the Poms look like they don't want to be here.

The only likely changes for Perth are Harris being rested. In which case Bollinger or Coulter-Nile come into the 12 or Lyon going out for another seemer (unlikely).

Back