The Lounge 2

Thomas Malthus. You haven't heard of him and his Essay on the Principle of Population? He was an early admonisher.

I just briefly read up about Malthus' ideas about population growth and recall a prediction that global populations may start leveling off due to better economies, wealth, health, education, contraception, smaller families, costs of raising a child in a first world nation, parents not needing to have numerous children to care for them in their dottage, ..., but projections are just best guesses gazing into a foggy crystal ball, imho.
gggf.jpg

Methuselah, in the Hebrew Bible (OldTestament), patriarch whose life span as recorded in Genesis (5:27) was 969 years. Methuselah has survived in legend and tradition as the longest-lived human.
He was also played by Anthony Hopkins in the movie "Noah".

images.jpeg.jpg

I heard about another 800+ migrants crossing the channel and landing on our shores again. Wish our government would stop the boats!

I remember that prediction, too. Isn't this happening in richer countries and also among the better-off Chinese middle class? Grier Grier

True Thomas. The general trend seeming to be the more affluent societies are, the less likely they are to have large families ... Many factors there too...I had 2 daughters and now 2 grandkids.

We've witnessed, seen, heard,...,.. read about how we humans are wantonly destroying our once garden of Eden by a misguided sense of entitlement.
:(

True Thomas. The general trend seeming to be the more affluent societies are, the less likely they are to have large families ... Many factors there too...I had 2 daughters and now 2 grandkids.

We've witnessed, seen, heard,...,.. read about how we humans are wantonly destroying our once garden of Eden by a misguided sense of entitlement.
:(
I'm always saying that there's too much traffic on the roads. Even in quaint little English villages there's lorries squeezing through the narrow roads. I know we need things moving and I'm a delivery driver myself, but it all adds up to damaging the ozone layer ☹️

I'm always saying that there's too much traffic on the roads. Even in quaint little English villages there's lorries squeezing through the narrow roads. I know we need things moving and I'm a delivery driver myself, but it all adds up to damaging the ozone layer ☹
Jessica now that the Ozone Layer has basicly restored itself we dont want to be adding additional pollution, so these trucks should convert to Electic power. Australia is beginning to do this but it is a massive job as we have so much land to cover, so many more trucks on the roads. Our largest mining company BHP is in the process of converting their huge mining vehicles from polluting diesel to clean green hydrogen power. This is a start.

Last edited:
Jessica now that the Ozone Layer has basicly restored itself we dont want to be adding additional pollution, so these trucks should convert to Electic power. Australia is beginning to do this but it is a massive job as we have so much land to cover, so many more trucks on the roads. Our largest mining company BHP is in the process of converting their huge mining vehicles from polluting diesel to clean green hydrogen power. This is a start.
We have a lot of electronic cars on the roads too. Will driving one be like driving an automatic?

As an old fellow with poor hearing who loves cycling I worry a bit about these quiet electruc vehicles I barely hear. I do have a rear vision mirror thankfully.
I heard someone suggested EV vehicles should emit sound to alert others of its presence.

I heard someone suggested EV vehicles should emit sound to alert others of its presence.
Makes sense to have something like they have with some conventional cars. A kinda warning beep for a bad park I think it is or is it when you are too close to the car in front. Been a while since I drove and it certainly was not a fancy car.

As an old fellow with poor hearing who loves cycling I worry a bit about these quiet electruc vehicles I barely hear. I do have a rear vision mirror thankfully.
I know what you mean. Many times I've gone to cross a road and see an electric car very close. They are too quiet for my liking.

It's been used in Europe for years. My car has such an Acoustic Vehicle Alert System , AVAS for short. My MiL doesn't hear it either but if it's louder it'll be nerve-wrecking, won't it?

You drive an EV Thomas?
Sort of. It's a so called full hybrid with automatic transmission and autopilot, the so called Partly Automated Driving which includes steering and lane-keeping assistance, as well as remote-controlled parking. The car independently adjusts the distance to the car in front of you by accellerating and braking autonomously via radar. And then there is the Collision and Pedestrian Warning with City Brake Activation, which prevents collisions via automatic braking.
I do press a number of buttons around me including one for the handbrake. I also took a plug-in EV (a Hyundai Ioniq for a test drive and liked it. It doesn't have a gear lever which a standard automatic has got.

Last edited:
I love my 6 gear manual Corolla now 15 years old and it's only done about 65,000 km.
I may need another car and do like all the bells and whistles with the current offerings, especially a reversing camera.
I do have a plug in gps navigator and recently bought a new one with a dash cam built in. $329 was ok, just.
It's possible to have a reverse camera installed but that'd cost about $1,000 which is a bit pricey for me.

I love my 6 gear manual Corolla now 15 years old and it's only done about 65,000 km.
I may need another car and do like all the bells and whistles with the current offerings, especially a reversing camera.
I do have a plug in gps navigator and recently bought a new one with a dash cam built in. $329 was ok, just.
It's possible to have a reverse camera installed but that'd cost about $1,000 which is a bit pricey for me.
A reverse camera is useful. You miss it badly when driving a car that hasn't got it. In my present car it's linked to a rear cross-traffic alert system that stops the car automatically if someone is approaching from the side whom you didn't see. Much as I like most of those assistance systems, I sometimes feel patronised by them, e.g., when the car wouldn't allow me to, say, change a parking space on an empty car park if I don't wear the seat belt. Lane-keeping assistance may result in a constant beeping because there's a beep sound each time the car is not exactly mid-lane.
What do you think you'll need the dash cam for? As evidence in case of an accident?

Last edited:
Back