The Lounge 2

Australia will spend $A50m. on the building of a lunar rover in a new deal struck with NASA for a future mission to the Moon.
The semi-autonomous rover will collect lunar soil that contains oxides, and using separate equipment, NASA will aim to extract oxygen from the soil. The Australian Government says its Trailblazer Space Program is a key step towards establishing a sustainable human presence on the Moon and even supporting future missions to Mars.
View attachment 1281

An artist impression of the Australian-made lunar rover.

This came as a bit of a shock I must admit.
I figured Australia was only a small fish in the 'space race'.
Quite an ambitious project. Germany is more low-key and rightly so, methinks, but it did supply the main cameras for the Perseverance Mars Mission.

Sounds interesting. I've always been interested in planets and outer space.
William Shatner went up to space recently, only to be criticised by Prince William with his 'save the planet' speech, yet he flies on planes as often as I book a coach trip ๐Ÿ˜†
A touch of irony with Shatner going into space.. he being the actor that played the universe explorer in Star Trek. The guy is 90. Holds up pretty well for a man of such an advanced age.

William Shatner went up to space recently, only to be criticised by Prince William with his 'save the planet' speech, yet he flies on planes as often as I book a coach trip ๐Ÿ˜†
Also remember him from Star Treck which was known as "Spaceship Enterprise" over here and which I watched as a boy. Thought it was pretty boring, though, and the studio-like setting was looking artificial to me even back then.
If William cut down on those, he'd have a point. That kind of space tourism is superflous and damages the earth further even though Bezos said they'd be using the most environmentally- friendly fuel available. Shatner's argument that they were going to generate energy in space and bring it back to earth is just a supterfuge. I share William's view that the earth ought not to be given up in favour of looking for new habitats elsewhere. All the energy and money should be used to save our planet.

I watch any form of cricket. It goves me something to watch whilst the footy season takes a break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas recently I posted about a massive solar project Australia had in the pipeline. Well I am now hearing that the big force behind the $30b project is Atlassian co founder Mike Cannon-Brookes. He believes he and his project can make Australia a renewable energy superpower with pipelines carrying his energy to not only Singapore but many other Asian countries and beyond over the next decade. This clever Aussie tech guru may be a visionary but he has a reputation in the business world for getting things done and fast. He says he will have the first stage of the pipeline to Darwin in 2024 then Singapore in 2026.

Last edited:
Thomas recently I posted about a massive solar project Australia had in the pipeline. Well I am now hearing that the big force behind the $30b project is Atlassian co founder Mike Cannon-Brookes. He believes he and his project can make Australia a renewable energy superpower with pipelines carrying his energy to not only Singapore but many other Asian countries and beyond over the next decade. This clever Aussie tech guru may be a visionary but he has a reputation in the business world for getting things done and fast. He says he will have the first stage of the pipeline to Darwin in 2024 then Singapore in 2026.
Mankind needs people like him and not the Bransons, Bezos, and Musks who keep investing in dated technologies and in the end do more harm than good. Inventions that can help get mankind out of the present and future mess are often less spectacular and seldom include any kind of fun factor as those old boys seem to be needing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thomas this'll knock your socks off too.
These kinda things.. like Cannon -Brookes solar and the Andrew Forrest hydrogen projects.. were mere supposition a year or so ago. Now they will become reality. There may be hope for our planet after all with this sensible use of their ample financial resourses by this pair of businessmen, patriots come global warriors.

Last edited:
It's reassuring to see how AUS is using its ressources for the good of itself and all. Such a strategy is actually not far to seek but it needs to be identified and implemented. We'd like to produce green hydrogen on a large scale as well but have less space for all that in our densely populated country. Denmark is doing a good job in this respect as well using its long coastal areas for off-shore wind parks.

A touch of irony with Shatner going into space.. he being the actor that played the universe explorer in Star Trek. The guy is 90. Holds up pretty well for a man of such an advanced age.
Yeah that's what we thought ๐Ÿ˜†
He's always been interested in the universe so doesn't surprise me that he took the chance to go up there.

Also remember him from Star Treck which was known as "Spaceship Enterprise" over here and which I watched as a boy. Thought it was pretty boring, though, and the studio-like setting was looking artificial to me even back then.
If William cut down on those, he'd have a point. That kind of space tourism is superflous and damages the earth further even though Bezos said they'd be using the most environmentally- friendly fuel available. Shatner's argument that they were going to generate energy in space and bring it back to earth is just a supterfuge. I share William's view that the earth ought not to be given up in favour of looking for new habitats elsewhere. All the energy and money should be used to save our planet.

I didn't know Shatner said that about generating energy in space and bringing it back ๐Ÿ˜† how does he intend to bring it back, in a load of carrier bags from my supermarket ๐Ÿ˜†

I didn't know Shatner said that about generating energy in space and bringing it back ๐Ÿ˜† how does he intend to bring it back, in a load of carrier bags from my supermarket ๐Ÿ˜†
He didn't give any details. Bezos was standing next to him and listening. It's just an excuse as I said. We'll just have to wait and see.

looker-on looker-on
Is there any news from your daughters scan? ๐Ÿ™
Hope your car is ok now too ๐Ÿ™‚
Thanks, Jessica.
Yes, there is. The kidney is working 80% with the chance of reaching 100% again or (hopefully) staying like it is rather than deteriorating. They are not sure about the MRSA germ she was said to have. Either it is one or not. Time will tell.
It's not exactly easy to worm it out of her. Sometimes she shares it, sometimes she's hesitant.๐Ÿ™„
My car was repaired within two days. The clutch cable was broken as I said.
On Tuesday I was taking the car I fancy buying on a test drive with which I want to replace the other car I have. I said to the saleswoman that I'll buy this demonstration car or none and that she should give me a shout when they want to sell it. So it could be next week or in a couple of months. ๐Ÿ˜œ
She was not amused because she'd reckoned I might order a new car which is more expensive and also includes a three to four months' waiting time.

Thanks, Jessica.
Yes, there is. The kidney is working 80% with the chance of reaching 100% again or (hopefully) staying like it is rather than deteriorating. They are not sure about the MRSA germ she was said to have. Either it is one or not. Time will tell.
It's not exactly easy to worm it out of her. Sometimes she shares it, sometimes she's hesitant.๐Ÿ™„
My car was repaired within two days. The clutch cable was broken as I said.
On Tuesday I was taking the car I fancy buying on a test drive with which I want to replace the other car I have. I said to the saleswoman that I'll buy this demonstration car or none and that she should give me a shout when they want to sell it. So it could be next week or in a couple of months. ๐Ÿ˜œ
She was not amused because she'd reckoned I might order a new car which is more expensive and also includes a three to four months' waiting time.
Go electric if you have not already done so Thomas. It is the future. Predictions Australia will be have 50% of EVs on our roads by end of the decade. While Aussie is providing the chargers for the EVs.. all vehicles to date are imported. Like to see Aussie open up its car manufacturing again and produce our own EVs and Hydrogen powered cars.

Go electric if you have not already done so Thomas. It is the future. Predictions Australia will be have 50% of EVs on our roads by end of the decade. While Aussie is providing the chargers for the EVs.. all vehicles to date are imported. Like to see Aussie open up its car manufacturing again and produce our own EVs and Hydrogen powered cars.
I will, partly that is, by going for a petrol hybrid before the infrastructure for e-cars is complete. That's the one I have ordered, exactly this one.
o0cj9s3xzth.jpg

My insomnia is making itself felt which is why I'm posting in the middle of the night at 3am.๐Ÿ˜”

I will, partly that is, by going for a petrol hybrid before the infrastructure for e-cars is complete. That's the one I have ordered, exactly this one.
o0cj9s3xzth.jpg

My insomnia is making itself felt which is why I'm posting in the middle of the night at 3am.๐Ÿ˜”
Beaut little run about. Know the feeling of insomnia mate.. an expert here.

Last edited:
Back