The Lounge 2

That does not sound good Thomas. What is the answer. The EU to take the Gazprom pipelines by force?

No, but to get independent from fossil fuels especially from Russian ones asap. There's not a single person over here who would deny that was a capital mistake not to have diversified our energy imports. Instead we walked right into Putin's trap of ridiculously cheap fossil fuels. We meaning industry, consumers, and politicians. Everybody wanted to benefit from cheap energy supplies and not just "politicians" as our populist party keeps claiming.
Energy generated by fossils was so cheap that, as it turns out now, hardly any health club, indoor swimming pool and the like can be run any more and large scale bankruptcies are looming. My health club covering 6,000 square meters has already been closed down for good on the grounds that it can't be operated as a private business any longer given the current fuel prices which are very unlikely to fall again in the foreseeable future. Renewables may bring a change some time.

So did I. 14 deg outside which feels chilly right now after the warmth. Not very comfy inside either. Normally, I'd turn the heating on but now we're freezing for Putin already. What will it be like in winter?:thumbsd:
You'll probably freeze, just like us 🥶
I only heat my lounge up of an evening, I have it on now but it'll be going off about 9pm, then just have a pot of coffee on the go til bedtime :p

Australia is honoring Queen Liz today with a public holiday. I admired Queen Liz but I never recognized her as my queen or my nations queen. I recall at boarding school thinking that when we had to sing God Save Our Queen as our national anthem.

I'm up at 5am for work so nothing could keep me awake :thumbsd:

What temp do you find hard to bear Richie?
When the mercury reaches 40c Jess. Open my door and walk into a furnace. So I really feel for you Poms now enduring similar temps when you are used to far lower ones.

When the mercury reaches 40c Jess. Open my door and walk into a furnace. So I really feel for you Poms now enduring similar temps when you are used to far lower ones.
My gosh I remember the heatwave we had in the summer when the temps were in the 40s, it started to make me feel ill. We have a cold front heading our way, and there's talk of ground frost, you'll never know how happy this time of year makes me feel 🤗

I dont like extreme heat or cold. Not that our winters are all that cold. I prefer the mild weather of Autumn over any other season.

Last edited:
It's 14 degrees here 😃 I don't have my central heating on but I am wearing a fleece top, it's colder of an evening and later on after dinner I'm going for a walk around my neighbourhood 🥶

It's 14 degrees here 😃 I don't have my central heating on but I am wearing a fleece top, it's colder of an evening and later on after dinner I'm going for a walk around my neighbourhood 🥶
that makes me feel cold just thinking about it Jess. I prefer walks on a balmy summer evening not in an ice box. ;)

DS starts in some Aussie states today. Now I am older I dont find it of any great benefit. It certainly annoys we when a cricket match is played in the West as it adds an extra hour to the starting time.

DS starts in some Aussie states today. Now I am older I dont find it of any great benefit. It certainly annoys we when a cricket match is played in the West as it adds an extra hour to the starting time.
I've lived through it for a 1 year trial as a kid plus a 3 year one around 15 years ago and hated it with a passion. In saying that I think it's just personal preference and understand why some like it.

But the majority don't as it's been voted down over here every time it's ever been a referendum yet still some people can't take the hint and keep floating the idea of bringing it in.

Back