The Lounge 2

1 metre is 3.281 feet.
115feet÷3.281= 35m agreed

Craig originally said the wave was 300m high.
300m×3.281= 984 feet~ 1000feet

That's high enough to wipe out New York like in the movie 'Deep Impact'.

Tidal-wave-hits-new-york.jpg

That picture scares the hell out of me. My father left the Royal Navy as a Commander in the late fifties and bought a 35 foot motorised yacht and used to take us out in stormy seas where as a little boy I got traumatised by big waves towering over the boat. For years, even as an adult, I had nightmares of giant waves and avoid the ocean now because of that phobia. 😟

Last edited:
Look forward to those Egyptian pics Craig. No worries about your numbers. I lived and breathed them in my Surveying and teaching Maths.
Like how many links in a metre. There's at least hundred links in a chain to keep it a bit simple. They were all made of metal those real chains with links.

And this mess:
The chain is a unit of length equal to 66 feet (22 yards), used in both the US customary and Imperial unit systems. It is subdivided into 100 links. There are 10 chains in a furlong, and 80 chains in one statute mile.
How archaic!

Thank goodness the French introduced their simple Metric sytem. How many picometres in a micrometre? A million.
Still better than the cumbersome Imperial system. One of its lovely constructs in that one cubic metre is equal to a thousand litres or one kilolitre which by definition is equal to one ton weight of water with a set specific gravity decided to be "one".
Nice arbitary choices like by definition
Pity metric time didn't get a guernsey. Babylon is still with us!
Pity also some countries can't handle the change to Metric, it's so easy to use, even by French peasants from two centuries ago. Viva la Revolución!

A million is a familiar number and the French arbitrarily decided there were 10 million metres from the equator to the poles. That's 10,000km and great circles of longitude 40,000 km circumference.
A historical brass metre lies in the Louve.
The Geodesy of oblate spheroids was considered I think(?) giving the equator a greater circumference than the circles of longitude, as it is. The Earth's spin makes our planet fatter at its middle. Certainly gravity differs very slightly from pole to equator too.

Last edited:
Look forward to those Egyptian pics Craig. No worries about your numbers. I lived and breathed them in my Surveying and teaching Maths.
Like how many links in a metre. There's at least hundred links in a chain to keep it a bit simple. They were all made of metal those real chains with links.

And this mess:
The chain is a unit of length equal to 66 feet (22 yards), used in both the US customary and Imperial unit systems. It is subdivided into 100 links. There are 10 chains in a furlong, and 80 chains in one statute mile.
How archaic!

Thank goodness the French introduced their simple Metric sytem. How many picometres in a micrometre? A million.
Still better than the cumbersome Imperial system. One of its lovely constructs in that one cubic metre is equal to a thousand litres or one kilolitre which by definition is equal to one ton weight of water with a set specific gravity decided to be "one".
Nice arbitary choices like by definition
Pity metric time didn't get a guernsey. Babylon is still with us!
Pity also some countries can't handle the change to Metric, it's so easy to use, even by French peasants from two centuries ago. Viva la Revolución!

A million is a familiar number and the French arbitrarily decided there were 10 million metres from the equator to the poles. That's 10,000km and great circles of longitude 40,000 km circumference.
A historical brass metre lies in the Louve.
The Geodesy of oblate spheroids was considered I think(?) giving the equator a greater circumference than the circles of longitude, as it is. The Earth's spin makes our planet fatter at its middle. Certainly gravity differs very slightly from pole to equator too.
Thanks for the explanation. I forgot that you're also a maths whizz which you demonstrated in the buzz forum. If I had remembered that, I wouldn't have commented in the first place. 😊

Back