THE NEW CHRISTMAS THREAD.

Christmas was early here due to relatives being high speed people, and these days we just tend to swap table wines. - they are more useful than socks!
Photo not by me, but one government bus driver has also put his shoulder to the wheel...
Indeed.

I never lose the Christmas spirit, I vividly recall my early childhood days at Chrissie time, no artificial tree back then as dad would go into the nearby forest and cut a genuine fir tree which we spent hours of enjoyment decorating with tinsel and baubles, candy canes, always topped by an angel. There were some presents left under the tree, but the majority were laid by mum and dad at the foot of our beds while we slept. Come Chrissie morning and we'd go nutso opening all out presents.

View attachment 2431
How about this beaut tree for our party. Or this one.
View attachment 2427
or this natural fir tree the same as I used to have.
View attachment 2426
It's so interesting to see how other cultures do the same thing. I've never seen the Christmas tree stand covered as in the pic above. But it's actually a good idea. :thumbsu:

It's so interesting to see how other cultures do the same thing. I've never seen the Christmas tree stand covered as in the pic above. But it's actually a good idea. :thumbsu:
Really you have never had a Christmas tree Thomas. I can understand being behind the Iron Curtain as the Commies were anti religion, but I find it hard to comprehend that was the case even after the WALL came down. I was made to believe that the Germans practically pioneered the Christmas tradition in Europe thru their St Nicholas character which pre dated Santa Clause.

Really you have never had a Christmas tree Thomas. I can understand being behind the Iron Curtain as the Commies were anti religion, but I find it hard to comprehend that was the case even after the WALL came down. I was made to believe that the Germans practically pioneered the Christmas tradition in Europe thru their St Nicholas character which pre dated Santa Clause.
Good morning. I hope it is one for you since you're early today mate. There's a misunderstanding on your part. I wrote
I've never seen the Christmas tree stand covered...
. That's all. Christmas trees and decorations were the same both in my childhood and, of course, later. The difference I saw was that our stand was not covered so as to hide it. I wouldn't say that a naked tree stand looks better.
Here's a photo from 1953 showing my elder brother and grandparents and the tree.

Attachments

• elder brother.jpg
    elder brother.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 2
The sword is a replica of Sir Francis Drake's own sword. It's very heavy too so I've tied it on tight so it doen't fall (on curious children).
I was given it when my Dad passed away.

My youngest daughter wants it when I pass away!
She's the Executor in my Will.

View attachment 2462View attachment 2463View attachment 2464
Many thanks, Terry. :thumbsu: That's what I call a special service. I had tried to read what's written on the plate but failed. You anticipated that. 🤝
You'd mentioned the replica but I was curious as to why your dad acquired it? Drake must have been a strong bloke if he could wave it. I thought it was the Excalibur.:)

Last edited:
My Dad was an officer, Lieutenant Commander, in Britain's RN (Royal Navy) and loved all things Naval, a navel guesser.
He also said in Drake's time men were much stronger and could wield such heavy swords. I can barely swing it one handed it's so heavy.

Sir Francis Drake was the first Englishman to circumnavigate the globe. ... and the second ever to complete a circumnavigation of the globe. Drake's circumnavigation of the globe was also a secret pirate mission sanctioned by Queen Elizabeth against the Spanish.
In addition to circumnavigating the world, Sir Francis Drake is known for making several voyages to the West Indies as a slave trader. He later served Queen Elizabeth I as a privateer and naval officer charged with striking against Spain's possessions. He also served as the mayor of Plymouth, England.

How times have changed!

Last edited:
Now that we know where to meet let me ask you: What will you be bringing to the party? 🧐

I'll treat you to my fav and Germany's top-ranking Beck's beer from Bremen which the Beatles might have had in Hamburg at the time. It's supreme quality has been confirmed in numerous tests. It tastes great and so it's not surprising that it comes at a high, in fact the second highest price of 17€ (28 AUD) a crate of 20 half-pint bottles. Beck's.jpg

Plum.jpg
My offer for coffee time is a juicy and densely topped plum tart which I regularly enjoy. No one can do it better. Best value for money. 😋

Now that we know where to meet let me ask you: What will you be bringing to the party? 🧐

I'll treat you to my fav and Germany's top-ranking Beck's beer from Bremen which the Beatles might have had in Hamburg at the time. It's supreme quality has been confirmed in numerous tests. It tastes great and so it's not surprising that it comes at a high, in fact the second highest price of 17€ (28 AUD) a crate of 20 half-pint bottles.View attachment 2486

View attachment 2487
My offer for coffee time is a juicy and densely topped plum tart which I regularly enjoy. No one can do it better. Best value for money. 😋
Two wonderful treats that will give our party a true Germanic feel. I will certainly be indulging in both. Danke Thomas. 😋

We have a beverage company in Australia called Bundaberg named after the town in central north Queensland. They make non alcoholic soft drinks but their most famous produce are their Rums and Liqueurs. So I will be bringing a bottle of each.

1703191753372.png 1703192724102.jpeg

For dessert, we can have Australias
famous Pavlova.

1703191609581.jpeg
1703192608125.jpeg
or this Aussie favorite:
Mango Passionfruit Delite.

Bon Appetite.

Last edited:
Back