The Origins Of Cricket

someblokecalleddave

One of the blokes on the Spinbowling threads is French and is making a claim for cricket originating in France. We're waiting to hear from him, I think he's speaking to the mayor of his local town as that's where the claim comes from?

Cricket's an old game. I vaguely remember reading something about a variation of the game starting in the Netherlands, in the 1600/1700s.

Im gonna say something that may offend some people here because of some french hatred that i faced here but anyway...

As some of you may know i pay in a cricket club in the NORTH of France so it's not so far from england but you have to take the ferry to get there.

The President of our club talked to the Mayor of a city not so far from my club named Liettres and the mayor confirmed that cricket was invented in Liettres and it was kinda "exported" from the english and forgotten in France there is even a road named "allée du criquet" = cricket alley. and there is a highway named "Autoroute des anglais" = highway of the english (people). So i dont care what anybodu says but cricket was invented in FRANCE !
Thats what i posted in the spin thread... i didnt realise someblokecalleddave had created this thread, i have training today il ask more about it to thr president of my club who will hopefully be there...

Unfortunately the president didnt come to training but i think it was during the 100 year war between France and England that cricket was exported so between 1337 to 1450 i think i will hopefully get more info when i meet the president and for those people who have heard that cricket was invented in belgium or nederlands its not entirely false because Liettres (the city in which cricket was invented) was part of a "county" called Flandres in which there was a part of (todays) north of France ( including liettres) and there was a part of belgium in which they spoke the same language as nederlands.

The thing is if you're a bloke back in the day, it's your day off or you've got a few hours to kill, there's some girls watching, or you're trying to prove your Alpha Male status, at some point, some bloke is going to pick up a branch and ask another bloke to throw a rock/apple or something his way and he's going to give it a good whack. If there's a few of you around, this has got the potential to form some kind of a game, whether it ever was called anything - that's where the labelling is going to come about. The other factor has to be that some wise sage takes the time to record such a happening along with its name. But this kind of activity must have gone on for years - Romans, Greeks, Egyptians etc?

The thing is if you're a bloke back in the day, it's your day off or you've got a few hours to kill, there's some girls watching, or you're trying to prove your Alpha Male status, at some point, some bloke is going to pick up a branch and ask another bloke to throw a rock/apple or something his way and he's going to give it a good whack. If there's a few of you around, this has got the potential to form some kind of a game, whether it ever was called anything - that's where the labelling is going to come about. The other factor has to be that some wise sage takes the time to record such a happening along with its name. But this kind of activity must have gone on for years - Romans, Greeks, Egyptians etc?
Then we will never be able to decide where cricket was created because the game has changes so much

In Geoff Tibbles book "No Balls and Googlies" on page 11, there's an account from 1300. The word 'Cric' in Anglo-Saxon days meant staff or crutch. At Oxford University there's a Manuscript in the Bodleian Library that features a picture of a monk bowling a ball to another who is about to hit it with a 'Cric', the text says that the other monks are in the 'Field'. There's no wicket but there's a hole which the bowling monk is trying hit the ball into. The rules say that if one of the 'Fielders' catches the ball off the bat the batting monk is out. Have a look at this account here - These seems to be the earliest versions of the game and include the descriptions 'Cric'. Let's see what you come up with from France.

In Geoff Tibbles book "No Balls and Googlies" on page 11, there's an account from 1300. The word 'Cric' in Anglo-Saxon days meant staff or crutch. At Oxford University there's a Manuscript in the Bodleian Library that features a picture of a monk bowling a ball to another who is about to hit it with a 'Cric', the text says that the other monks are in the 'Field'. There's no wicket but there's a hole which the bowling monk is trying hit the ball into. The rules say that if one of the 'Fielders' catches the ball off the bat the batting monk is out. Have a look at this account here - These seems to be the earliest versions of the game and include the descriptions 'Cric'. Let's see what you come up with from France.
Read the research done by mr Campbell

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/sports/82390-cricket-invented-continental-europe-claims.html

No, this is where cricket was invented. The idea of the oval/circle pitch and stumps all came from here.;)
5StonehengeLandscapedaytime.jpg

Back