The referral system

ICC showing their incompetence again. Disgraceful.

Surely everyone knows that the video referral system is coming into test matchs in the next few weeks.

However, we once again have a few nations who just want to be different to everyone.

India have stuck their fingers up at the ICC and have refused to adopt the referral system, as have South Africa. Apparently each board isn't to keen on dishing out the money for the equipment.

Now you'd think that the ICC would step in and say, "right, you bunch of children, we'll pay for it but you jokers will use it and thats the end of it."

Now, for many years there has been a common belief in cricket circles that in general the home team benefits from umpiring decisions.

Eddie has been stamping his feet for years about "aussie billy" and what not.

Now, South Africa have refused to use the system, citing the cost, but they are the home team and they probably realise that they are likely to get the rub of the green in the upcoming test series.

As are India at the moment against Sri Lanka.

THe ECB voted against using the technology in the Ashes, and afterwards we could see why, as England benefitted from some truly disgraceful umpiring in the Ashes.

Thankfully Cricket Australia has adopted the scheme, as has New Zealand, as such we are likely to have a summer that isn't marred by appaling umpiring, sure there may be some hiccups with the use of technology in the initial stages but overall I think in time this referral system will be a well oiled beast that will remove the shithouse decisions.

Everyone knows whats going to happen in South Africa, that is that someone, probably some English batsmen, is going to cop a bad decision (please let it be Strauss) and there is going to be uproar (no doubt led by Ian Botham).

It is as clear as day.

Truly disgraceful administrating by the ICC.

Re: ICC showing their incompetence again. Disgraceful.

Do you have links to any articles concerning this? I couldn't find anything on the cricinfo front page

Wouldnt mind seeing some of these articles that say that India and South Africa don't want to spend the money on the technology? the BCCI have and will always try and be different. They always want change and are screaming for it, yet its a bit suprising that they aren't using this system.

I for one would like to see the referral system stay out of the game. You get the good with the bad, deal with it.

Its no suprise South Africa dont want it, they had no clue how to use in against Australia and it ultimately cost them, yet in the long run cost Australia the Ashes by covering up a players very obvious weakness :D

From BBC Sport - Cricket : TV referrals set for debut in NZ

The Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS) was supposed to be adopted in all Tests from October.

But its implementation was delayed after broadcasters and national boards objected to being asked to pay for it.

The stand-off led to the system being scrapped for the ongoing series between India and Sri Lanka. It will not be used in England's four-Test series in South Africa next month.

Plus, from here Review system remains mired in trouble | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | Cricinfo.com

India has already stated it will not use the controversial and costly system for the home Test series against Sri Lanka, and Gerald Majola, the chief executive of Cricket South Africa, told Cricinfo last week his board was not prepared to foot the implementation bill for the UDRS. Richardson is not confident of changing the minds of the South Africans prior to their home Test series against England, but is more optimistic of convincing Australia and New Zealand to proceed with the system.

Would be more interested to see stats that actually show the home team benefits more from umpiring decisions than the away side. By this, I mean 3rd party analysed stats not a few anecdotes.

FFS, surely the ICC should be footing any bills, how much does this stuff cost?

The BCCI can afford it, yet they are refusing to use it because the Indian players don't like the system.

Therefore once again we have an example of a cricket board only doing what is best for its players rather then treating the game as one whole entity.

That is exactly the problem with having a toothless body in the ICC that hasnt got the power to say 'righto, out of the way, we'll take charge here'.

Apparently England weren't to happy about the reviews not being in place in SA, yet in the Ashes they didn't want them?

I have no sympathy for them.

What will happen is, and it always does in situations like this, is that in the upcoming test series there is going to be a crucial decision given against an English batsmen in the 4th innings with England chasing a moderate target (250+).

Strauss or some other important batsmen will cop a shocking decision, which will unduly influence the result of the game. Botham will be in uproar, and there will be anarchy in the streets. The Barmy Army will riot and will in turn roll kegs onto the ground, disrupting play, the pink panther will invade the field and will cop a shoulder straight down the middle of Graeme Smith.

There will be anarchy in the UK.

Actually it wasnt used in the Ashes because they ICC had done their trials and were going to sit down and work out the best way to use the system going forward and would be looking at bringing it in after October

But hey, continue your anti England shit, its not predictable and boring at all...

I agree with LtD on some parts of his argument.

The part I do agree with is that the ICC should either introduce it to the game or not. It's like the ICC saying (in a completely stupid example), "the LBW rule is too hard so we will get rid of it. Who wants it and who doesn't?" Then when games are played in Australia for example there are LBWs and in South Africa there aren't.

If one international team uses a rule or system, then all teams have to, or that one team should not be allowed to use it. Time for the ICC to sit down with all the boards and discuss it all properly and make a proper decision, even if it is to continue with the trials.

I personally, though, am against the referal system.

eddiesmith;376379 said:
Actually it wasnt used in the Ashes because they ICC had done their trials and were going to sit down and work out the best way to use the system going forward and would be looking at bringing it in after October

But hey, continue your anti England shit, its not predictable and boring at all...

Get real eddie, if Australia and England wanted to use the system then they could have easily have organized it.

England, being the host broadcaster, didn't want to use it though.

So if they cop some shocking decisiosn in the upcoming test series, then I will have no sympathy for them.

Your paper run is calling champ.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;376416 said:
Get real eddie, if Australia and England wanted to use the system then they could have easily have organized it.

England, being the host broadcaster, didn't want to use it though.

So if they cop some shocking decisiosn in the upcoming test series, then I will have no sympathy for them.

Your paper run is calling champ.

No referrals for Ashes series | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | Cricinfo.com

Seems like it had nothing to do with England and everything to do with the ICC

The fact is that the issue at hand is cost and the broadcasters in certain countries do not have the funds so the board needs to cop the costs. South Africa has the 2 extremes the national broadcaster is battling to pay salaries let alone new technology and the satellite service is spending its money on buying rights.

The truth is that the ICC does not have the authority and the implementation of the referal system has been a farce.. It was not properly managed - should the logical thing not been to get all the boards to agree to this before implementation. It is almost like me asking you to pay for my luxury car without asking for your permission.

It is interesting to note that this thread has evolved into an anti BCCI and Cricket South Africa and England rant. I must admit that it does not surprise me in the least ..

For the record I think this referal system needs to be re-thought and given time to get approval for all. I must admit I still think that human error on the part of umpires is part of the game ..

Look, it has turned into an anti BCCI rant, at least, because originally they were one of the strongest advocates of the referral system, no doubt in part due to the events in the SCG test in early 2008 - when India were all but robbed of at least a draw, if not a win.

In 2008 Sri Lanka and India played a test series that served as a trail for this referral system. Apparently the Indian players didn't like it, so the BCCI changed its stance on the subject for the current test series against Sri Lanka, possibly swayed by the thought that there is a belief that the home team benefits from the rub of the green more often then not.

That sums up the BCCI. It only cares about India and stuff the rest of them, for a board that has so much power it isn't a good look.

What we don't want is a situation where home teams refuse to utilize the system, citing things like costs, simply because the home team is hoping to get the rub of the green with the umpires.

Consquently, it is almost 100% certain that there is going to controversy in the upcoming South Africa series.

I will have no sympathy for England or South Africa when their team gets shafted.

One way or the other. Make the decision ICC and the boards will follow you. Make everyone do that and not choose. If it doesn't work then take it away from everyone. Teams shouldn't be able to choose if they want it or not.

I'd at least like technology used for front foot no balls so the umpires have one less thing to worry about. Not a fan of it being used for LBWs, to many are 50/50 and should be left for the field umpire although I suppose it would be nice to get rid of the howlers where a batsman gets a massive edge into the pad.

I'm inclined to support the South Africans and Indians on this (not their motives however), and I dislike the both of them. The decision of a Test Match-standard umpire should be good enough...

No to the referral system!

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;376436 said:
Look, it has turned into an anti BCCI rant, at least, because originally they were one of the strongest advocates of the referral system, no doubt in part due to the events in the SCG test in early 2008 - when India were all but robbed of at least a draw, if not a win.

In 2008 Sri Lanka and India played a test series that served as a trail for this referral system. Apparently the Indian players didn't like it, so the BCCI changed its stance on the subject for the current test series against Sri Lanka, possibly swayed by the thought that there is a belief that the home team benefits from the rub of the green more often then not.

That sums up the BCCI. It only cares about India and stuff the rest of them, for a board that has so much power it isn't a good look.

What we don't want is a situation where home teams refuse to utilize the system, citing things like costs, simply because the home team is hoping to get the rub of the green with the umpires.

Consquently, it is almost 100% certain that there is going to controversy in the upcoming South Africa series.

I will have no sympathy for England or South Africa when their team gets shafted.
It's good to see the hypocritical BCCI rear their head again...

Why will there be controversy? Because of the perception that the English team is filled with South Africans?

Don't be soft. Yes, there will talking points and the odd dodgy decision here and there. This is true of every series. Umpires are human and as such fallible.

Do you think the referral system would really bring an end to contentious umpiring decisions? Of course it won't.

I think both teams will soldier on without it.

mas cambios;376463 said:
Why will there be controversy? Because of the perception that the English team is filled with South Africans?

Don't be soft. Yes, there will talking points and the odd dodgy decision here and there. This is true of every series. Umpires are human and as such fallible.

Do you think the referral system would really bring an end to contentious umpiring decisions? Of course it won't.

I think both teams will soldier on without it.

Rampant;376451 said:
It's good to see the hypocritical BCCI rear their head again...

Is it really hypocritical to change your mind after receiving more feedback? The players have good reason to dislike the system, its time consuming and clumsy to say the least.

I'm no fan of the BCCI but in this instance of course they are going to listen and back their players.

Back