The Weather Thread

33 degrees is fine. In terms of keeping cool, there's generally a seabreeze most afternoons which helps reduce the temperature. When it gets rather hot, there's air conditioning, fans, pools and the beach to help cool down. Having tinted windows also helps as does blockout curtains and keeping them and other blinds closed to reflect the heat away.

Christmas last year was pretty hot, 40.2 degrees on the 23rd, Christmas Eve was 41.1 degrees while Christmas Day was 40.4 degrees.
I'm a typical Brit and would be sweating like crazy 🥵
We are in the middle of a storm here, the gale force winds cut through you no matter how many layers of clothing you have on. I remember one winter when we were in a deep freeze, snow and ice cut my village off from the next town, it was awesome ☃️

Reminds me of our last spring that wouldn't come because winter was stretching longer and longer before summer set in all of a sudden.
Can offer 3 degrees now and a bit of snowfall in some regions, not in mine. The winter sport world cup season started last week with no TV coverage but at this weekend all the events will be shown with me in the armchair watching and checking who's in good shape. ;)
Are you experiencing a storm there Thomas? You're not a million miles from me, maybe you have the back end of it 🌪️

Are you experiencing a storm there Thomas? You're not a million miles from me, maybe you have the back end of it 🌪
No, not in the least. It's very calm right now. The next noticeable wind (not storm) is predicted for Tuesday (wind force 6 -7). Hope it'll be over soon at your end.

That's warm

Today got to 37.4 degrees so quite a warm day.

I'm a typical Brit and would be sweating like crazy 🥵
We are in the middle of a storm here, the gale force winds cut through you no matter how many layers of clothing you have on. I remember one winter when we were in a deep freeze, snow and ice cut my village off from the next town, it was awesome ☃

I imagine temperatures in the 30's would be quite foreign to you. It would be a similar story to me with the very low temperatures, we get that very rarely here so it's something that doesn't happen often.

I've never seen snow so that would be interested for me to see.

I imagine temperatures in the 30's would be quite foreign to you. It would be a similar story to me with the very low temperatures, we get that very rarely here so it's something that doesn't happen often.

I can tolerate the snow and ice, even the gale force arctic winds that we've recently had, but heat I can't tolerate, anything over 20 is too much for me 😆
Snow is so soft and fluffy when it's freshly fallen, it can cling to your shoes and hem on your trousers so best to wear boots, our winters look like Christmas cards if we have a white one ☃️

No, not in the least. It's very calm right now. The next noticeable wind (not storm) is predicted for Tuesday (wind force 6 -7). Hope it'll be over soon at your end.
Things seem to be calming down now 🤗
I was out in it earlier, it was so bad I left my face mask on walking up my street to keep my face out of the wind 😷

Damn that's hot.

33 degrees is fine. In terms of keeping cool, there's generally a seabreeze most afternoons which helps reduce the temperature. When it gets rather hot, there's air conditioning, fans, pools and the beach to help cool down. Having tinted windows also helps as does blockout curtains and keeping them and other blinds closed to reflect the heat away.

Christmas last year was pretty hot, 40.2 degrees on the 23rd, Christmas Eve was 41.1 degrees while Christmas Day was 40.4 degrees.
Same with Sydney. But now being told that our second La Nina will keep temps cooler this summer. Already minor flooding north and some inland areas that will welcome rain..

LP the other way to keep cool is having good roof insulation. We do.. reduces the heat and the cold to a comfortable level without need for a air con.

I can tolerate the snow and ice, even the gale force arctic winds that we've recently had, but heat I can't tolerate, anything over 20 is too much for me 😆
Snow is so soft and fluffy when it's freshly fallen, it can cling to your shoes and hem on your trousers so best to wear boots, our winters look like Christmas cards if we have a white one ☃

20? Geez, there are some nights here where it doesn't get below 20!

I am interested to see snow, just need to go to a place where it will fall. I could do that here in Australia in the eastern states as several states do have snowfields although it would need to be in our winter.

Same with Sydney. But now being told that our second La Nina will keep temps cooler this summer. Already minor flooding north and some inland areas that will welcome rain..

LP the other way to keep cool is having good roof insulation. We do.. reduces the heat and the cold to a comfortable level without need for a air con.

I have good roof insulation at the moment which helps, particularly in winter although I only moved to this place a few months ago at the end of winter. The next thing I need to get is window tinting which will be handy in reducing the amount of heat coming in. I imagine I will still need air conditioning on from time to time on the very hot days given it does get hot here plus I have some windows which face west where the sun sets. Today was much cooler as the sea breeze was in all day, should be like that for the next few days before the heat at the end of the week and the weekend.

The long-term outlook is for an above average December to February period with a risk of temperatures significantly higher than usual in this period. Going to be very hot in the Kimberley and Pilbara area later this week.

20? Geez, there are some nights here where it doesn't get below 20!

I am interested to see snow, just need to go to a place where it will fall. I could do that here in Australia in the eastern states as several states do have snowfields although it would need to be in our winter.

I have good roof insulation at the moment which helps, particularly in winter although I only moved to this place a few months ago at the end of winter. The next thing I need to get is window tinting which will be handy in reducing the amount of heat coming in. I imagine I will still need air conditioning on from time to time on the very hot days given it does get hot here plus I have some windows which face west where the sun sets. Today was much cooler as the sea breeze was in all day, should be like that for the next few days before the heat at the end of the week and the weekend.

The long-term outlook is for an above average December to February period with a risk of temperatures significantly higher than usual in this period. Going to be very hot in the Kimberley and Pilbara area later this week.

What's a snowfield?
During our summer it gets very muggy during the night, very difficult to sleep, I have an electric fan and a hand held battery operated fan 🥵
Australia is a beautiful country but I could never live there because of the heat. I love watching documentaries on Australia, especially about the outback and the aboriginal people, it fascinates me 🤗
I know about the Kimberly, I watch old episodes of Bush Tucker Man aka Les Hiddens 👍

What's a snowfield?
During our summer it gets very muggy during the night, very difficult to sleep, I have an electric fan and a hand held battery operated fan 🥵
Australia is a beautiful country but I could never live there because of the heat. I love watching documentaries on Australia, especially about the outback and the aboriginal people, it fascinates me 🤗
I know about the Kimberly, I watch old episodes of Bush Tucker Man aka Les Hiddens 👍

A snowfield is a permanent wide expanse of snow in mountainous or polar regions.

Where I live it gets hot at night but it's a dry heat, sometimes we'll get a humid night but on most occasions the hot nights have a dry heat which is typical for the region and most of the state.

I suppose air conditioning is something you don't really have much of there? Fans will help, particularly the ceiling ones. Well if 20 is hot then you may not like summer much here. :p

Jess we have snowfields south of the national capital in the Australian Alps.. small by European standards but an alpine region all the same. Some fine resorts and excellent ski/board conditions. Here is a pic if you are having trouble believing this in one of the hottest nations on earth.
1638316568424.png

Attachments

• 1638316446405.png
    1638316446405.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 0
A snowfield is a permanent wide expanse of snow in mountainous or polar regions.

Where I live it gets hot at night but it's a dry heat, sometimes we'll get a humid night but on most occasions the hot nights have a dry heat which is typical for the region and most of the state.

I suppose air conditioning is something you don't really have much of there? Fans will help, particularly the ceiling ones. Well if 20 is hot then you may not like summer much here. :p
No I don't need air con, just electric fans in the summer.
I googled snowfields, they look lovely, bit like Wales when we've had a blanket of snow ☃️
I think I'm best staying in my country, unless I fancy moving to the North Pole 🥶
I once lived in a small bungalow in a quiet village, one winter my heating wouldn't work, it was so cold I had slivers of ice forming on the inside of my windows ☃️

No I don't need air con, just electric fans in the summer.

I imagine it wouldn't get hot enough for long enough to use air conditioning there.

BettyBoo said:
I googled snowfields, they look lovely, bit like Wales when we've had a blanket of snow ☃

They would be lovely to visit, there's quite a few snow resorts in the eastern states.

BettyBoo said:
I think I'm best staying in my country, unless I fancy moving to the North Pole 🥶
I once lived in a small bungalow in a quiet village, one winter my heating wouldn't work, it was so cold I had slivers of ice forming on the inside of my windows ☃

Whereabouts in the UK are you located?

I can imagine that would have been very cold. It does get cold here at night sometimes, about what anyone would typically experience with a fridge. :p

This is what the second La Nina weather event is doing to the Aussie Eastern Seaboard.

Low to mid 30's expected for at least the next seven days here and overnight it is set to get into the low 20's by the start of next week. Marble Bar got to 46.8 degrees today.

Last edited:
Back