The Weather Thread

Apart from a few warm, sunny days this week we have yet to taste a real Sydney summer. The winds are still quite cool and the rain is hovering.

Apart from a few warm, sunny days this week we have yet to taste a real Sydney summer. The winds are still quite cool and the rain is hovering.
Don't you need the rain? Living in the central European Sahelean zone I'm without exception always glad when it's raining.

After a couple of mild days the mercury will be hitting mid 30C today. Being told La Lina is taking a break.

Tried Binging that zone. Where is it exactly. Do you mean you live in a warm part of central Europe?

Australia's north lies in a Pacific cyclonic belt which as you know bring masses of the wet stuff when they hover over land. Much of that rain then travels south and we in Sydney get drenched. We dont just have showers or rain in Australia we have deluges which destroy crops and livelihoods and hit economies.

Tried Binging that zone. Where is it exactly. Do you mean you live in a warm part of central Europe?
@Thomas

Australia's north lies in a Pacific cyclonic belt which as you know bring masses of the wet stuff when they hover over land. Much of that rain then travels south and we in Sydney get drenched. We dont just have showers or rain in Australia we have deluges which destroy crops and livelihoods and hit economies.

AussieRitchie said:

Yes, I meant that but it's just my personal expression. The warm part used to be the Mediterranean countries in the south but weather has been changing and climate as well. Now our summers are too warm, we're getting a water problem, we get insects unheard of, wines of high quality can be grown, etc. In addition there's a divide within Germany with the eastern part where I live getting hotter and dryer than the western part with all the problems aggravating. That's why I like to call it the central European Sahelean zone.

Getting very hot here for Christmas. 38 degrees for Christmas Eve, 42 degrees for Christmas Day, 41 degrees on Boxing Day and 40 degrees for Monday (27th). The nights aren't going to be cooling down much, a minimum of 22 degrees on Friday rising to the mid to high 20's for the following three days.

Last edited:
rising to the mid to high 20's for the following three days.
This can be the downside of having a very warm day. Hate sleeping when it is too hot. We in the East are usually blessed by cooling easterlies during summer. But not this year with several similar nite temps to what WA is having on the trot lately..

Getting very hot here for Christmas. 38 degrees for Christmas Eve, 42 degrees for Christmas Day, 41 degrees on Boxing Day and 40 degrees for Monday (27th). The nights aren't going to be cooling down much, a minimum of 22 degrees on Friday rising to the mid to high 20's for the following three days.
Hope it starts cooling down for you guys. Damn that's hot.

How cold has it been Thomas. Looks idyllic all the same. And a white Chrissie . Is that common in you Saharian belt?
That cold:
Minus10.jpg
The frost is common but not the snow although accidentally there was more snow last year. But this winter has only just started.
snow2.jpg

Where I had to live, further south, snow can be that high

b89wfr992ee.jpg

cars can look like this
zre3h4kyyrv.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently over in WA they've had over 44 degrees and lots of fires.

HOpe you're safe Ljp86 Ljp86

Hope it starts cooling down for you guys. Damn that's hot.

It has been very hot here the last three or four days. Christmas Eve got to 38.6 degrees, Christmas Day was 20.8 degrees overnight and it then reached 42.8 degrees during the day, the hottest Christmas Day on record here. Boxing Day it got down to just 26 degrees overnight before getting to 43.5 degrees during the day. This morning was 25.8 degrees as the minimum before reaching 41 degrees during the day. It was also nudging 46 degrees in some of the towns just outside the city over the past few days so very hot overall.

Tonight is supposed to get to 25 degrees before 39 degrees tomorrow, followed by 38 degrees on Wednesday. The next few days after that will be between 32 to 34 degrees so cooling down somewhat as we approach the New Year.

No fires near me currently although there have been several in the south west and also on the outskirts of the city, one of which was deliberately lit which is incredibly disappointing.

This can be the downside of having a very warm day. Hate sleeping when it is too hot. We in the East are usually blessed by cooling easterlies during summer. But not this year with several similar nite temps to what WA is having on the trot lately..

We'll generally get a seabreeze most days during summer here which helps cool things down. However, the west coast trough has mostly sat off the coast for the last few days so the seabreeze has either has been shortlived/weak or we haven't got one at all. I've been out a fair bit with family stuff for Christmas over the past few days so I've been staying up late with the air conditioning on to cool the house down.

I've been doing some watering the past couple of days and it has been so hot you can see the water evaporating off the pavement, the nights haven't really cooled down much either, it has been around 32 to 33 degrees at midnight over the past couple of evenings. The water pipes get so hot during the day you have to run the water for a little while before it actually gets cold as well.

Back