The Yips

Mr-Cricket

The Yips

Hi guys,

We were having a chat about one of the players on our 3rd team who seems to be really suffering from the 'yips' (?), going from a stand out opening bowler to someone who looks terrified when given a cricket ball to bowl. So I was wondering if Liz or Harrowdrive (or anyone else for that matter) could tell me more about the 'yips. What can cause them, what is going on and what can be down to cure them.

Also, can they affect other things such as batting or other sports? I've had a bit of a look on google but the information seems a bit here and there.

Thanks

Re: The Yips

This is extremely sad but not uncommon, although you do not hear much about it in cricket. The sadness is that most cricketers who suffer the Yips, usually give up playing.

Could you tell me how old this player is?
Has he been playing a long time?
How long has this 'condition' been evident?
What is the player's profession?
What are his hobbies e.g. musician?

The common cause is a faulty thought mechanism, which can be corrected with mental exercises and improved mental skills preparation.

However, focal dystonia can also be a factor: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/dystonia.htm

Let me have as much information about the player as you can and I will try and discuss some of the strategies he can use.

Though this may not be relevant, I have heard of the following method being used:

Start off with the effected player bowling into an empty net, then to very 'friendly' batsman. Next move on so he's bowling against unfamiliar batsman (still in the net).

Then with a portable net, take him out on the pitch, again starting the process - no batters, friendly and unfamiliar.

Once they are happy with this set-up, remove the net and follow the same pattern.

It's not a guaranteed solution but it has helped some by all accounts. Of course, by giving Liz some more information she may be able to pin point the cause of at least spot a trigger for it.

I've a golfer friend who got the yips with his putting. It was psycological with him. He said it was like he couldn't remember how he used to hit the ball!! He solved it by going bask to basics and basically re-learning how to putt - which I suppose is what A_A is suggesting.

I'd never really heard about it in sports other than golf before though, seems to be common enough according to wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yips
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Medlycott

It's considered bad luck to talk about it in golfing circles - as if you start thinking about exactly how you hit the ball you might end up thinking yourself into knots and getting the yips yourself!

edladd said:
I've a golfer friend who got the yips with his putting. It was psycological with him. He said it was like he couldn't remember how he used to hit the ball!! He solved it by going bask to basics and basically re-learning how to putt - which I suppose is what A_A is suggesting.

I'd never really heard about it in sports other than golf before though, seems to be common enough according to wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yips
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Medlycott

It's considered bad luck to talk about it in golfing circles - as if you start thinking about exactly how you hit the ball you might end up thinking yourself into knots and getting the yips yourself!

Best sentance of the day i reckon.

Exact same in any sport, if you think too much, you'll mess it all up and fail. Keep it simple.

Cricket for one is 90% mental and 10% physical according to Mr. Cricket (Mike Hussey) and i for one agree. If you're spot on mentally, you're gunna achieve what you can because you know you can.

If you get a bout of the Yips, go back to basics. For seamers, keep the seam straight, slow it down and prepared to be hit until your rythem starts to return.

For the spinners, take off all spin of the ball and just hit one spot.

Its not a quick fix when you hip the yips, but its surely a bloody good feeling when you've conquered them and got a wicket when the batsmen tries to defend only to see the ball whistle past his outside edge and cleans him up!!

Liz Ward said:
Could you tell me how old this player is?
Has he been playing a long time?
How long has this 'condition' been evident?
What is the player's profession?
What are his hobbies e.g. musician?

Thanks for the reply Liz, i'll try to answer the questions as best as i can:

Hes 33

At least 15 years not doubt longer

For about 5 weeks (although we think it's been going on longer than that)

He's a school teacher

Not overly sure i suppose mostly sport based.

The problem is that he goes to bowl but nothing happens, either he pulls up or stops halfway though his action, when he does get to release the ball (very rare) it flys down leg. its got to the point where he is thinking of giving the game up.

Mr Cricket said:
...its got to the point where he is thinking of giving the game up.

Do assure the player that, chances are, we can solve this.

Can he account for this at all?
It may be as a result of something happening in his life or a bad experience.

Has it affected any other aspect of his life?
It would help if you could find out if he works with his hands.
i.e. What does he teach?

Liz Ward said:
Do assure the player that, chances are, we can solve this.

Can he account for this at all?
It may be as a result of something happening in his life or a bad experience.

Has it affected any other aspect of his life?
It would help if you could find out if he works with his hands.
i.e. What does he teach?

He teaches history, so not much to do with his hands. Hard to say about it affecting any other part of his life. he seems ok in general, still turns up to the matches although he tends to hang in the background more, very quiet, when he used to be up there 'leading' the team.

I'll be seeing him on sunday so will ask him a few more details (without being to nosey). we all want him back as he's a bloody good bowler but this is really getting him down.

To update, quicker than I thought I would, he did suffer a car accident a few weeks before xmas, which left him a bit shaken (car went into his passenger side door, wrote off his car etc). Would this be a potential cause?

Mr Cricket said:
To update, quicker than I thought I would, he did suffer a car accident a few weeks before xmas, which left him a bit shaken (car went into his passenger side door, wrote off his car etc). Would this be a potential cause?

If his Yips presented after this, then yes, you have the cause. Was he injured at all, even slightly? Even an ache?

If not, this is emotional and he needs help and time.

Help? He needs you all to be encouraging, try to talk him through his feelings [not a guy thing I know but it is important]... be 'nosey', it is the only way you will get him to deal with it. You may like to talk to his wife/partner/mum first.

Time? This will vary, depending on the extent of his trauma.

Whatever you do, keep him coming to practice, ease off the pressure; it is not important for him to bowl at the moment, then, when he is ready and if he needs it, get a coach to take him back to basics and build up his confidence.

kizza said:
k not meant to be dumb but wat r the yips?
wat dus a persont that has them do??

The yips are involuntary motions. In this instance it is probably of the hand or wrist and usually presents during pressure situations.

i got the yips after i reall hurt my back, i couldn't let the ball go in games. i was doin it in nets fine but once i was in a game i got scared my back would go again, so 1 sunday wen our 3rd team were away i pulled the portable net onto the 1st team strip ( groundsman wernt 2 happy :p ) and bowled for 6 hours non-stop to prove to myself my back wouldn't hurt

Welcome to the forum Phil2oo8 - we hope you find it interesting!

That is one way of getting through the yips, especially as you had a good idea of the cause. Not quite sure I'd be able to bowl for 6 hours non stop but fair play to you!

true, but lyin in a nice,warm bed with a hot chocolate :) :) or bein in a double period history lesson :cry :cry 2 hours of non-stop agony nd thats before the stifness

Liz Ward said:
If his Yips presented after this, then yes, you have the cause. Was he injured at all, even slightly? Even an ache?

If not, this is emotional and he needs help and time.

Help? He needs you all to be encouraging, try to talk him through his feelings [not a guy thing I know but it is important]... be 'nosey', it is the only way you will get him to deal with it. You may like to talk to his wife/partner/mum first.

Time? This will vary, depending on the extent of his trauma.

Whatever you do, keep him coming to practice, ease off the pressure; it is not important for him to bowl at the moment, then, when he is ready and if he needs it, get a coach to take him back to basics and build up his confidence.

He had a slightly stiff neck, but shrugged it off. Played the game directly after as normal, then the week after that it was a noticeable struggle for him.

We are a fairly good club in terms of rallying around players. We all want him back to how he was as he was the leading bowler and we miss his penetration at the start of an innings.

Will take your advice and try to have a word with his partner, he plays in the team below and is fully aware of the issue. May find out a little more about it.

What you tell me does concern me a little. Did this player see any medical practitioner for a full medical after the accident?

Has he suffered any of the following:

Hadaches?
Reduced movement at the back of the nect?
Tingling in the arms?
Lumbar pains?
Fatigue?
Sleep disruptions?
Reduced libido?

Back