This Player Burnout BS

grapedo

This Player Burnout BS

I am really sick of international cricketers complaining about schedules and player burnout and the like.

They are professionals and if they cannot stay fit and keep up with the game then there is no way they should be on the money they're on.

There are people in other professions who have hectic workloads too but they don't complain.

Their problem is that they cannot face the harsh reality of working hard in a job, they thought plaing cricket internationally would be a walk in the park and are now coming to their senses.

I don't know why they complain about the IPL, a tournament where you get paid 8 figure salaries to smash the ball for a few overs and field for 20 which lasts 2 months I couldn't think of anything better myself.

Thoughts ????

Re: This Player Burnout BS

I agree (though your last point on the IPL was a little confusing, I don't think any players are complaining about the IPL's existence). Ponting taking the next two games off is a perfect example. He is willing to go and play in the IPL, but needs to take two games off because he is tired. His priority should be to Australia and only Australia. If he can't play every game for Australia (excusing injury of course, and perhaps dead rubbers to allow other players a chance and give Pup some extra captaincy experience), then he has no justification for taking part in the IPL.

BabyBlues;320438 said:
I agree (though your last point on the IPL was a little confusing, I don't think any players are complaining about the IPL's existence). Ponting taking the next two games off is a perfect example. He is willing to go and play in the IPL, but needs to take two games off because he is tired. His priority should be to Australia and only Australia. If he can't play every game for Australia (excusing injury of course, and perhaps dead rubbers to allow other players a chance and give Pup some extra captaincy experience), then he has no justification for taking part in the IPL.

Agreed.

No other Captains rest themselves unless injured anyway. If he is getting to the stage where isn't as fit as he was he needs to pick a form of cricket and stick to that solely not complain about scheduling.

I don't get why Ponting played in a dead rubber then misses live games against NZ. On a plus side we might now have someone that knows how to captain?

Kram81;321015 said:
I don't get why Ponting played in a dead rubber then misses live games against NZ. On a plus side we might now have someone that knows how to captain?

Yeah me neither it makes no sense. But the captaincy thing is true.

namdarb;322302 said:
I thought it was the selectors who "rested" ponting. He wanted to play.

Ricky Ponting is the captain of the Australian cricket team. If he felt he needed to play, the selectors would have listened to him. He may have been rested a little later instead, but the fact is that at the moment, his team needs him, and him just taking the two games off with nothing more than a "I wanted to play, but rules are rules" is pretty weak.

How much influence does the captain have in selection? I was under the impression that while he will be asked for an opinion he is not officially a selector of the team. Ponting would therefore have had very little say in whether he was rested or not.

namdarb;322585 said:
How much influence does the captain have in selection? I was under the impression that while he will be asked for an opinion he is not officially a selector of the team. Ponting would therefore have had very little say in whether he was rested or not.

He would have little say in the resting of OTHER players. But if he was going to be rested by the selectors, and said "Hold up, my team needs me, I have to play", there's no way they'd stop him. And that's what has happened, albeit a game too late. Ponting has cut his break short.

Back